Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tasty strawberries

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Tasty strawberries

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Only just over a year ago - plus I think they need repotting into larger pots as the roots are coming out of the holes in the bottom of the pots.

I probably dont have 10 years left in me.

I really only did it to see if I could get the pips to grow.
    My mom did the same thing with orange and lemon pips. She planted them in little pots and kept them on her kitchen window sill. Once the leaves were growing, she would use them in her cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Only just over a year ago - plus I think they need repotting into larger pots as the roots are coming out of the holes in the bottom of the pots.

I probably dont have 10 years left in me.

I really only did it to see if I could get the pips to grow.
    Yes, I would say if the roots are coming out of the bottom, the plant would be most happy to have a larger home I've been bringing my house plants in and many of them need re-potting this year. Unfortunately, I've run out of pots for some of them, so they will just have to wait for re-potting next spring. I did find a good deal on Miracle Grow fertilizer stakes - about 20/$1, so all the plants will get a "treat" this winter and hopefully that will help those that are root bound.

I like experimenting with seeds too - I'm going to try an avocado seed next and if I can get it growing, maybe I can keep it pruned down enough to keep it in the house and still have it bear fruit?? I'll have to study up on it first.

None of us know if we will be here tomorrow, let alone 10 years from now - so enjoy each day as it comes, to the fullest!!

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriCrafts View Post
    My mom did the same thing with orange and lemon pips. She planted them in little pots and kept them on her kitchen window sill. Once the leaves were growing, she would use them in her cooking.
    I never thought about the leaves having flavor - Duh!! They would be good in tea for sure!

I planted avocado middles in pots on the windowsill and ended up with triffids didnt see anything to eat come on them as i had to give them away as i couldnt move in the kitchen, or see for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    I planted avocado middles in pots on the windowsill and ended up with triffids didnt see anything to eat come on them as i had to give them away as i couldnt move in the kitchen, or see for that matter.
    I had to look up "triffid" - OH MY!! LOL!!! The description of the movie reminds me of one, years ago, about a giant Venus Fly Trap that pinched off folks' heads. I think I will wait on trying that until I have a large, heated greenhouse - which may be never, but has always been a dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Shesawaya38485 View Post
    I had to look up "triffid" - OH MY!! LOL!!! The description of the movie reminds me of one, years ago, about a giant Venus Fly Trap that pinched off folks' heads. I think I will wait on trying that until I have a large, heated greenhouse - which may be never, but has always been a dream!
    The book the movie is based on has much better pics (in your head!).

John Wyndham also wrote a number of other sci-fi books that were made into well known films.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    The book the movie is based on has much better pics (in your head!).

John Wyndham also wrote a number of other sci-fi books that were made into well known films.
    I do generally prefer books over movies: 1) a movie never seems to capture all of the author's thoughts and feelings, and 2) what I see in my head is enough for me - too many movies these days are way more graphic than I need. When John Wayne pulled his gun and fired, you knew the bad guy was dead - didn't need to see everything splattered all over the screen! LOL!!

Hubby remembered the name of the movie - "Little Shop of Horrors".

Now, back to our "regular scheduled programming".....

I just harvested some "Passion Fruit" seeds. I don't know exactly which species it is because it doesn't match anything I can find to ID it. It grows wild here but the area it is planted in is getting shadier every year due to maturing walnut trees and really needs full sun. The flowers are purple, but the fruit changes from green to yellow - not purple and all of the Yellow Passion Fruit pictures I have seen show the fruit being as large as a man's hand. Hopefully the seeds have matured but I'll find out next year when I plant it in full sun and see if the outcome is any different. At worst, I'll have some beautiful flowers to enjoy!

Name:  220px-Passiflora_edulis_forma_flavicarpa.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  16.2 KB

I do generally prefer books over movies: 1) a movie never seems to capture all of the author's thoughts and feelings, and 2) what I see in my head is enough for me - too many movies these days are way more graphic than I need. When John Wayne pulled his gun and fired, you knew the bad guy was dead - didn't need to see everything splattered all over the screen! LOL!!

Hubby remembered the name of the movie - "Little Shop of Horrors".

Now, back to our "regular scheduled programming".....

I just harvested some "Passion Fruit" seeds. I don't know exactly which species it is because it doesn't match anything I can find to ID it. It grows wild here but the area it is planted in is getting shadier every year due to maturing walnut trees and really needs full sun. The flowers are purple, but the fruit changes from green to yellow - not purple and all of the Yellow Passion Fruit pictures I have seen show the fruit being as large as a man's hand. Hopefully the seeds have matured but I'll find out next year when I plant it in full sun and see if the outcome is any different. At worst, I'll have some beautiful flowers to enjoy!

Name:  220px-Passiflora_edulis_forma_flavicarpa.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  16.2 KB
    I don't understand. Your pic bears a remarkable resemblance to the one on Wikipedia and even has the same associated text: 220px-Passiflora_edulis_forma_flavicarpa.jpg

So I'm going to take a wild guess and say the species is Passiflora edulis forma flavicarpa!

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P...flavicarpa.jpg

Best news of all, see the list of Pyschoactive plants https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Passifloraceae

We'll all be round later for the party, Shes!! It should be a wild ride!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

I don't understand. Your pic bears a remarkable resemblance to the one on Wikipedia and even has the same associated text: 220px-Passiflora_edulis_forma_flavicarpa.jpg

So I'm going to take a wild guess and say the species is Passiflora edulis forma flavicarpa!

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P...flavicarpa.jpg

Best news of all, see the list of Pyschoactive plants https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Passifloraceae

We'll all be round later for the party, Shes!! It should be a wild ride!
    OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Yes, I "borrowed" the picture from Wiki - it was from the article on "Passiflora edulis" but I didn't see any reference to "forma flavicarpa" or any reference to it being Psychoactive. Not that I would eat it, as there is so little "fruit" it is not worth the trouble.

I remembered seeing some Passion Flower Extract offered on an herbal site I go to, so I looked it up to see what it was made from and found Passiflora incarnata - BINGO!!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora_incarnata This is exactly what I have, although my flowers are light purple (see the picture at the bottom of the article) and it is the TN state flower - lol!!

It has sedative properties when used medicinally, so I seriously doubt there would be any wild, mind tripping parties - sorry to get your hopes up LOL!!!

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Yes, I "borrowed" the picture from Wiki - it was from the article on "Passiflora edulis" but I didn't see any reference to "forma flavicarpa" or any reference to it being Psychoactive. Not that I would eat it, as there is so little "fruit" it is not worth the trouble.

I remembered seeing some Passion Flower Extract offered on an herbal site I go to, so I looked it up to see what it was made from and found Passiflora incarnata - BINGO!!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora_incarnata This is exactly what I have, although my flowers are light purple (see the picture at the bottom of the article) and it is the TN state flower - lol!!

It has sedative properties when used medicinally, so I seriously doubt there would be any wild, mind tripping parties - sorry to get your hopes up LOL!!!

Thanks for the ref. That Wikipedia page is interesting... "reported to be an effective cough syrup for mice"? Well, weather's getting colder here, and I do live in an old house (cracks/crevices). If I hear any mice coughing I'll be in touch.

Thanks for the ref. That Wikipedia page is interesting... "reported to be an effective cough syrup for mice"? Well, weather's getting colder here, and I do live in an old house (cracks/crevices). If I hear any mice coughing I'll be in touch.
    Fortunately, I didn't have to deal with any snakes this year - the downside being the mice/rat population increased, especially in areas that outside cats can't get to. None were coughing when I found them so I can't testify to Passion Flower extract being good for their cough relief. LOL!!!

Thread Information