eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cumbersome Web Site

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Cumbersome Web Site

I was recently listing a batch of vintage buttons and noticed that there was a change in that i had a drop down choice of what the buttons were made of. I noticed that most sellers of vintage buttons had theirs dumped in other !!

So im now wondering what items of mine have been dumped in other in other cats

eg these should be under collectables, buttons, glass

https://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/a-c...s-76976212.htm

and these

https://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/ele...-137711567.htm

In fact a lot a vintage buttons are in the crafts section !!

How many other items have been dumped in "other" since the rehash, and i do recall in a recent news letter a piece urging people to list items in the correct catergories!
    Last edited by purplestevie; 19th May 2017 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    There is one really cumbersome thing about this website and that is the enormous drop down required to select a category. This really needs to be changed.
    If I could only change one thing about eBid, it would be this. Yes, there are a few other things I might like "tweaked", but for me this needs to be at the top of the "to do" list.

The images below are not a suggestion of what the subcategories should be just a view of how they appear.

Currently, as Madelaine indicates, there is an "enormous drop down required to select a category."

Name:  listing subcategories - ebid.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  39.7 KB

Being a person that likes to see the "big picture", would love to see the subcategories presented in a series of small screens rather than one drop down.

Name:  listing subcategories - proposed.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  20.9 KB

Just my 2¢

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post

If I could only change one thing about eBid, it would be this. Yes, there are a few other things I might like "tweaked", but for me this needs to be at the top of the "to do" list.

The images below are not a suggestion of what the subcategories should be just a view of how they appear.

Currently, as Madelaine indicates, there is an "enormous drop down required to select a category."

Being a person that likes to see the "big picture", would love to see the subcategories presented in a series of small screens rather than one drop down.

Just my 2¢
    The reason for the enormous list of options when choosing is the requests made for eBid management to add endless extra subcategories.
    The example you give from the Stamps category is not a good example. There are currently over 58,000 items listed under Queen Elizabeth. These do need subdivisions to help buyers find what they want. The system could be amended by using sub-menus instead of a long list of all possibilities. In the stamp example, you could click in Great Britain producing a list of reigns, click on a reign producing a new set of options and so on as necessary.
    Like Madelaine, most of my listing is done using the List Similar option so I looked at a category in which I have never listed. I look at Home and Garden. I found there were six sub-categories for Bathroom Tiles. Looking in Buying on eBid I found that Bathroom Tiles had a total of 39 items listed. Why do we need six sub-categories for 39 items? Looking a little deeper I found that of the 37 items only TWO were actually tiles. the items listed here included work boots and socks!! I did not look at lots of categories to find a bad example. Bathroom tiles was the first one I looked at.
    I think eBid needs to look at the category system carefully merging sub-categories to reduce their number where the number of items is very low. Many of the sub-categories are not necessary. A good title would make searching much easier and would produce better results from Google Shopping

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    The reason for the enormous list of options when choosing is the requests made for eBid management to add endless extra subcategories.
    The likelihood of a suggestion being taken up seems to be inversely proportional to the subject knowledge of the person requesting it!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post

Just my 2¢
    We've built a staggered category selection system into our new code that we are readying at the moment for launch soon.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

GREAT! Now... fewer categories?
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    We've built a staggered category selection system into our new code that we are readying at the moment for launch soon.

Gazza
    Oh that is very good news, indeed. Thank you very much!

Tony41, I specifically showed an example that did not have many subcategories. As I stated, I was not addressing the number of subcategories or the specific subcategory names, just the layout.

Brilliant news, thank you!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    The likelihood of a suggestion being taken up seems to be inversely proportional to the subject knowledge of the person requesting it!
    When I have suggested deleting categories, I have given reasons, and they have now gone.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    In another thread I recommended Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems https://www.sensible.com/rsme.html

What I pick up from this is

1. to test to find the one most important thing to change at this time.
    2. to leave other things until later
    3. to formulate the change I want to make as simply and clearly as possible

So, if it is in the area of dropdown menus, let us give clear and simple feedback to Ebid in the website suggestions forum, until it changes.
    And then back to user testing for the next change

Gazza
    I am all for working with Ebid to improve the site experience, and it is great to hear from Gazza that an update to dropdown menus is on the way. Can't wait.

So, what is the next area where we would like to focus a clear simple fix?

The buyer experience, too many clicks, not obvious, sounds like next, and next in line after that, unnecessary subcategories which are empty or wrongly used?
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Thread Information