eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Loose Diamonds & Gemstones/Quartz

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Loose Diamonds & Gemstones/Quartz

Well, if I am to buy the item from rocks2dust which I covet, I'll have to buy more than one item. It shouldn't be difficult - the items are to die for!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    The site can tell where you are, obviously! Yes.. I'm seeing £27.61 and I shan't be paying that much...
    I've always wondered about that possibility - makes it hard to see how a US listing is actually seen by a person in the UK. It would be helpful, to me at least, when I go to the UK site to see what you actually see and I could perhaps figure out a different method of shipping to the UK to lower that cost.

Yes, Cheaver - you're right! I picked up the BIN amount - duh! Sorry to add to any confusion. I'm glad you brought up the subject too - it's been very educational!

As Hurry said, there are so many regulations to consider when listing an item and deciding on the most cost effective shipping method. I recently offered some PC games in a YDC sale and planned to ship them in a padded envelope so that's how I based my shipping calculations. HOWEVER, when I went to create the shipping label I was "reminded" that any variation in thickness of the envelope that was more that 1/4 inch meant that the envelope had to be considered as a "package" and shipped at package rates. Since it was for a charity I wasn't too upset at covering the additional cost out of my pocket but it really is hard to keep up with all the little rules they have. Rules like that are due to machines taking over people's jobs and machines are not flexible when doing their job.

I hope Rocks2dust will forgive us for thoroughly hijacking his post because it seems we've all learned a bit

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm not sure I would want buyers to be able to select other shipping methods based solely on price. I select the shipping method that I deem the most appropriate for the item while trying to keep the cost down to a reasonable level. Of course, the customer always has the final say in their decision to buy or not buy, but I don't consider it prudent to permit them to select a shipping method which may not be appropriate merely because it is cheaper. If the sale hinges on shipping on a cheaper, but inappropriate for the product, method, I would prefer to pass on the sale.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    I'm not sure I would want buyers to be able to select other shipping methods based solely on price. I select the shipping method that I deem the most appropriate for the item while trying to keep the cost down to a reasonable level. Of course, the customer always has the final say in their decision to buy or not buy, but I don't consider it prudent to permit them to select a shipping method which may not be appropriate merely because it is cheaper. If the sale hinges on shipping on a cheaper, but inappropriate for the product, method, I would prefer to pass on the sale.
    Where did this reply come from? I can't find a reference in the conversation here to buyers being able to select other shipping methods based solely on price......

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

I think that comment may have been made without looking at the prices concerned - a $10 item with a $30 shipping cost is not going to sell (unless it is huge!).
    I really like the item so I shall consider buying more than one item to make the shipping more reasonable.
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    Where did this reply come from? I can't find a reference in the conversation here to buyers being able to select other shipping methods based solely on price......

Actually, the comment stems from my countryman's comment before mine. Specifically the part about looking for cheaper shipping to the UK. Admittedly, that post wasn't about allowing the buyers to choose their own shipping, but I just wanted to bring in the idea that cheaper is not always the best choice.

With regard to $10 items with $30 shipping, I once purchased a gross of small glass bottles for $10 at auction over on the bay. The shipping came to $30 simply because the things were so heavy. I still consider it a good buy. S&H is not a matter of item price but rather a matter of destination, size and weight.

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

OK... I see your point but are you failing to try to see mine? It's an £8 item which becomes an over £30 item with postage. It is too much and, sadly, as a result, it won't sell to me.
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE=JaBek1;1683744]
    Actually, the comment stems from my countryman's comment before mine. Specifically the part about looking for cheaper shipping to the UK. Admittedly, that post wasn't about allowing the buyers to choose their own shipping, but I just wanted to bring in the idea that cheaper is not always the best choice.

Ahhh, now I can follow your thinking........

........I still consider it a good buy. S&H is not a matter of item price but rather a matter of destination, size and weight.

~ a good reason for always offering the overseas options irrespective of S&H costs, I think.

Last edited by cheaver; 7th March 2017 at 08:53 AM.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    OK... I see your point but are you failing to try to see mine? It's an £8 item which becomes an over £30 item with postage. It is too much and, sadly, as a result, it won't sell to me.
    I can see your point. Basically everyone has to decide how much we need or want a particular item. If the total cost is more than we're willing to pay it No Sale.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE=cheaver;1683754]
    Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post

Ahhh, now I can follow your thinking........

........I still consider it a good buy. S&H is not a matter of item price but rather a matter of destination, size and weight.

~ a good reason for always offering the overseas options irrespective of S&H costs, I think.

Sort of my thoughts too. I figure if someone in another part of the world wants what I'm selling, they'll be willing to pay to get it there. Unfortunately, I don't have any control over what the shipping companies and postal systems charge. Personally, I'd love to be able to hand deliver all my items around the globe, but you can imagine what I'd have to charge for something if I did that. Still, it'd be a great way to see the world. Wait... I think that's what they told guys to get em to join the Navy.

Thread Information