Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seller on the other site copying listings

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Seller on the other site copying listings

Quote Originally Posted by pywacket4u2 View Post
    Unless the pictures are copyrighted there's not much you can do.

Actually, under US copyright law, the author owns the copyright from the moment it is created. However, in order to sue for punitive damages the copyright must be registered. Otherwise, the owner can only sue for actual damages. Of course, I'm not sure of the precise wording or restrictions under UK law.

Forum Newbie
    View Vintiquibles's Feedback (+231)
    All-About Vintiquibles
    View Vintiquibles's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is an interesting article about the subject I found a while back. I thought it didn't apply to my items, until I searched google. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ent...amphtml/278622

Forum Newbie
    View Vintiquibles's Feedback (+231)
    All-About Vintiquibles
    View Vintiquibles's Listings
    Forum Posts

Although some see a sale as a good thing regardless, I do not share this belief. The person with the item in hand, original seller, is the only one with any investment and risk involved. If an item is returned, lost, stolen, etc. Who incurs these costs? The original seller. And who communicates with the buyer and decides if it is a legitimate claim which merits a refund? The copycat seller. It is bad business for small individual sellers. Especially troubling for those of us who deal in antiques and collectibles like myself. And yes, we are targets of these copycats as well.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vintiquibles View Post
    This is an interesting article about the subject I found a while back. I thought it didn't apply to my items, until I searched google. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ent...amphtml/278622
    That's horrendous !

Quote Originally Posted by Vintiquibles View Post
    Although some see a sale as a good thing regardless, I do not share this belief. The person with the item in hand, original seller, is the only one with any investment and risk involved. If an item is returned, lost, stolen, etc. Who incurs these costs? The original seller. And who communicates with the buyer and decides if it is a legitimate claim which merits a refund? The copycat seller. It is bad business for small individual sellers. Especially troubling for those of us who deal in antiques and collectibles like myself. And yes, we are targets of these copycats as well.
    That's crazy!! Had to go check this "AFarAwayGalaxy" out and sure enough - 61,324 listings, all Free Ship. I checked out the Pet category and no kitty rug, but a kitty poop scoop for $7 ???? Identical scoop (not same brand) can be bought at the local Dollar Tree for $1. I guess some people have more money than sense - 1775 sales in the past month!

I agree with you - just because it is "legal" doesn't make it right. But I don't think sellers here have much to worry about. I think the OP's situation was probably just a case of another seller having a "like" item and being lazy, stole his pic & description.

Update on this "copying" using someone elses images.

Same buyer from here who sells on Ebay under the title of "rawcollecter".
    Turns out he had a number of listings on Ebay, using images I have on here. Started the Ebay's VERO form way back in October.
    Those listings have now gone, but he, and it is a he, has new listings up again using my images.
    One item he sold on Ebay before purchasing from myself was aChucky Doll. I had it listed with a missing finger, and he used my images, but failed to mention the damage and didn't use the image that showed the damage.

Currently going through Ebay's VERO Infringment of Intellectual Property Rights department on Ebay for the new images he's using. They are extremely slow and seem to require copious amounts of information. So to be fair I don't hold out much hope for that avenue.

I recommend having a check of his Ebay listings as I don't think i'm the only one's images being used by this individual.

As for them being used from "Google", not the case as he used to sell the item on Ebay then purchase it from myself before I blackballed him.

I gave him the chance to remove the images before going through VERO but the response I got was "Do it now, the're in the public domian, good luck with that, many people have tried before".

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

At one time on eBid we had the power to stop image sharing in it's tracks - by watermarking our images. Mine were very noticeable, although partly transparent. It did not totally stop the problem, but discouraged the lazy, as the only way to use images was to photoshop out the watermark - too much work for some folks. Unfortunately various "improvements" to the site have prevented this.

Added to that IIRC you will find that google and other corporations have inserted clauses into their user agreements that enable them to do what ever they want with YOUR image.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Added to that IIRC you will find that google and other corporations have inserted clauses into their user agreements that enable them to do what ever they want with YOUR image.
    Clauses like that have been in T&C's for years.eBid's have been there since I joined:"You give us a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, sublicenseable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise all copyright and publicity rights, in any existing or future media....."It's pretty standard wording all over the web.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    Clauses like that have been in T&C's for years.eBid's have been there since I joined:"You give us a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, sublicenseable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise all copyright and publicity rights, in any existing or future media....."It's pretty standard wording all over the web.
    Decided to look into the Image Copyright thing myself.
    Interesting and complicated to say the least.

Here's a read regarding the copyright of images when online - https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...nline-3526354/

This led me to the Google Advance Image Search page where you can search for images that you can use without permission.
    So I tested it on one of my images that is being used by the seller on Ebay, and found it does come up in a general search.
    However when using the "Usage Rights" option to find the image via "free to use or share" or "free to use or share, even commercially", the image does not come up.

Therefore if the images of mine and most likely any/all on ebid taken by any seller using a camera and are used by anyone else, they are still subject to copyright and need your permission for their use.

Just discovered that if you search an image via google normally, there is a "Tool" button that gives you access to a "Usage Rights" drop-down menu, to filter out images that cannot be used without permission.
    Last edited by BigKidsAttic; 14th December 2017 at 10:51 AM.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

For those interested here is the link to the US Copyright Office

Thread Information