eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seller on the other site copying listings

Default Seller on the other site copying listings

Hi all,

Just sold an item, and decided to check out any similar items on the other site evilbay.
    Found the same item for a vastly inflated price from what I sold it for, so decided to have a look at it.
    Lo and behold if it wasn't my item with the exact same layout, pictures, and info that was on my listing. In other words they just copied and pasted.

Not happy!

However I have reported the listing and sent the seller a message.

I was tempted to "Buy" said item and watch the individual squirm when they could not supply me with the item, since i've already sent it off to the USA.

Anyway seller is "offerp"

Rant over.
    I know some of you don't mind this as either way it would constitute as a sale, but I am annoyed that I store the item, I describe the item, I package the item, and I send the item, yet the other individual just steals said listing.

What are your thoughts?

Jason

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Seller on the other site copying listings

I know it can be a bother but I am pretty sure that any images you add to an auction site then belong to the site. You keep the original pics but I am willing to bet I could find them on Google images and use them myself if I wanted to.

I don't know if that also applies to your descriptions though.

Look what I found on Google images HERE

Name:  uo_1477219484-18216-46.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  35.7 KB
    Last edited by moonwitch; 20th February 2017 at 01:58 PM.

It is NOT permissable to copy photos or listings: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Copyright-...1832074/g.html

Not sure if I should post the link but it applies equally to eBid as TOS

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by love_to_stitch View Post
    It is NOT permissable to copy photos or listings: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Copyright-...1832074/g.html

Ebay​ there make lots of assertions but don't provide evidence so I am not certain right now what is covered in actual law.

H
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    Ebay​ there make lots of assertions but don't provide evidence so I am not certain right now what is covered in actual law.
    Too true. But it is morally wrong to copy what other sellers have worked hard to produce. And....IMHO, it is tantamount to plagiarism.

Thanks for the link, very enlightening.

Update, seller on TOS replied that they had the same item. That confuses me as surely it can't be exactly the same.... the same faults, the same restoration, etc... especialy since the item is a comic from 1944.
    Anyway, item is now gone from other site

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

H

Too true. But it is morally wrong to copy what other sellers have worked hard to produce. And....IMHO, it is tantamount to plagiarism.
    I agree about the descriptions as they are personal to the original seller and would have included research and attention to detail but I regularly use pics from Google images and if everyone who did this were stopped from doing this then there woould be far fewer funny pics in posts on The Kitchen Table...lol

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I agree about the descriptions as they are personal to the original seller and would have included research and attention to detail but I regularly use pics from Google images and if everyone who did this were stopped from doing this then there woould be far fewer funny pics in posts on The Kitchen Table...lol
    There is a difference there: the pictures from Google images used on the forums are not for commercial gain i.e. to sell an item. The OP was talking about someone 'stealing' his image for precisely that purpose. However, I wouldn't be so aggrieved at a seller using one of my pictures as taking the whole of my listing and using for his own.
    Last edited by love_to_stitch; 21st February 2017 at 03:48 PM.

Unless the pictures are copyrighted there's not much you can do.

Generally, I wouldn't have thought it made sense to copy someone's listings exactly - I advertise things other people sell as well and I try to go out of my way to make my listing as different as possible from the other 'identikit' listings that exist - anything that make a listing unique is a good thing in my eyes....

Having said that, if I found someone copying my listings.....

Thread Information