Thread: Ebooks Ban

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Ebooks Ban

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Hampshire used to have very enthusiastic meetings, attended by real experts who were also welcoming to beginners. In recent years they've gone very quiet, sadly. However there's a Portsmouth LUG that meets every 3rd Saturday and is well attended. You would certainly get help installing there.

Really, installing on a laptop is much the same as on a desktop. But some laptops do have proprietary hardware that is difficult for Linux to support (though it's getting better all the time). So the first thing to do is to boot from a DVD, not install anything on your laptop's hard drive, and check whether you can access all the devices. Of course it will be slow (a DVD is many times slower than a hard drive, which is in turn 100s of times slower than an SSD), so don't be put off by the tedium of such a trial. You may find problems with your wifi or a webcam, but often there are workarounds.
    Hi there...I found out about the Portsmouth group just prior to moving to Eastbourne 3 years ago.

I have a bunch of Linux discs here that I bought from the Linux site for my now defunct laptop.

I now use the Chromebook as there are things that don't work properly on my new laptop with Win 10 e.g. I can't scroll down my gmail to open email files I have st up. Billy bought the laptop for my business only it is very limited. No office installed so added open office for my manuscripts

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    This thread was on the KT and should have been in the computer software forum. I was not trying to stifle discussion.
    So why suggest the conversation move to PM?

Some of us suggested adding a techy forum but nothing came of it ....

Technical advice on booting Linux and so on is not connected to software or do you think we should have separate forums for everything asked here?

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    This thread was on the KT and should have been in the computer software forum. I was not trying to stifle discussion.
    I see. So the Kitchen Table, a sub-forum of "Chat about Anything", isn't a suitable place to, er, chat about anything?

And recommending private messages was your way of suggesting the Computer Software forum?

Of course you weren't trying to stifle discussion, I can't imagine why I so mistook your intent!

Y'know, when you find yourself digging a hole, you can either stop, or you can dig yourself in deeper!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    Hi there...I found out about the Portsmouth group just prior to moving to Eastbourne 3 years ago.

I have a bunch of Linux discs here that I bought from the Linux site for my now defunct laptop.

I now use the Chromebook as there are things that don't work properly on my new laptop with Win 10 e.g. I can't scroll down my gmail to open email files I have st up. Billy bought the laptop for my business only it is very limited. No office installed so added open office for my manuscripts
    Congratulations, MoonWitch, Chrome OS is an operating system designed by Google that is based on the Linux kernel. So you kind of are running Linux, or at least a lot more than a Microsoft user is.

Which is also true of Android. It's truly staggering how much is running on Linux these days. You might find that eBid's web site is running on Linux, many big web sites are. Most cars except vintage ones have software running on Linux. New TVs and PVRs...

Yet there are still lots of people who say "Lin-what? Never heard of it".

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Congratulations, MoonWitch, Chrome OS is an operating system designed by Google that is based on the Linux kernel. So you kind of are running Linux, or at least a lot more than a Microsoft user is.

Which is also true of Android. It's truly staggering how much is running on Linux these days. You might find that eBid's web site is running on Linux, many big web sites are. Most cars except vintage ones have software running on Linux. New TVs and PVRs...

Yet there are still lots of people who say "Lin-what? Never heard of it".
    I bought our first Chromebook shortly after moving to Eastbourne. I bought it for Billy as he just wanted something to faff about on Facebook with and for emailing.

I was so impressed with the seamless way it all works and the speed of it compared to any win based laptop or desktop I have owned that I bought myself one.

My new laptop with win 10 is currently sat underneath my armchair and only use it for printing invoices as our printer isn't cloud friendly.

The chromebook is such a nifty bit of kit and as you said chrome OS is based on Linux,,,,,I don't know why I would want to swap it for anything else except maybe an updated version

edited to add that the site builder I use, provided by my host is Linux based too

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    My new laptop with win 10 is currently sat underneath my armchair ...
    Well, at least it's not a doorstop! ;-)

Thread Information