Thread: Trim the forums a bit?

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Trim the forums a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I still think that, for example, the Baby & child board with a post by a long departed (and constantly negative) member makes the place look bad.

I don't agree that it is only auction site which need boards - it is really useful to be able to ask questions here - and one usually gets an answer quite quickly.
    Where is the Baby and Child board?...I didn't know there WAS one and can't see for looking

I agree that some of the threads need to be removed or shortened. Since I am more or less considered a "newbie" I check forums almost daily, not only for problems and corrections but to see what everyone is talking about. I have learned a lot from the forum, but find some of these threads that are a couple of years old rather out of date and very unhelpful. Some threads have nothing to do with the subject topic, but just ramble on as if it is a couple people carrying on private conversations. Site updates really needs to be shortened to just this year...no need for year(s) old updates. Just my two cents, shortened or left alone, it will still be part of my morning log on.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    I agree with this, also think it would be beneficial to trim the site up dates thread, which if I remember correctly dates back to the start of the site. From the start of each year would be plenty for me.
    Also it is oriented wrongly for me the newest posts should be the ones that you see first. If I saw that as a newbie I would be thinking that this is a site with a lot of problems.
    If you go into the forum settings you can set the order in which the messages are displayed (newest to oldest or oldest to newest) and also set a cutoff date to stop old messages being shown.

I would regret the loss of some of the old messages. Some contain the wit and wisdom of those who are sadly now no longer with us. That's why I wish when deceased members' accounts are deleted that their forum activity did not also go.
    Last edited by astral276; 2nd March 2017 at 01:45 PM.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree about the comments Mel, I have come across some threads here and on other forums where someone has quit for some reason and had their posts removed leaving a confusing mess of comments that make no apparent sense if read verbatim. And yes there are work-a rounds for things like thread ordering, but I was looking at it from the newbies point of vview who may not have used this type of forum before. For them it would be beneficial to have the most relevant stuff concerning what is going on now easily available.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View madelaine's Feedback (+5871)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    Where is the Baby and Child board?...I didn't know there WAS one and can't see for looking
    It's vanished! Was there when I last looked!

I'm not talking about removing posts - I'm talking about removing whole boards which are seldom if ever used. If I were to arrive and find, for example, craft & arts with a last post in November, I would think that this place was dead. Which is not true!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    It's vanished! Was there when I last looked!

I'm not talking about removing posts - I'm talking about removing whole boards which are seldom if ever used. If I were to arrive and find, for example, craft & arts with a last post in November, I would think that this place was dead. Which is not true!

Yes I have to agree with you - the forums make eBid look like a failing entity. It's a shame the forums have fallen into such disuse but they do need a hard pruning

Thread Information