eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Advice needed on setting up a website

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Advice needed on setting up a website

Hi, I am intending to have a website that points to my eBid stores. The way I see it there are two routes that I could take:

• Build a website myself, using some of the templates available cheaply on the web.
    • Buy a website from a provider who can supply thewhole package

The downside to the first option is that I know nothing about this process, and so am likely to make a hash of it. I fear ending up with a poorly put together site that says "amateur" all over it. On the plus side though, it may be a useful learning curve.

Having said that though my favoured option is buying a site, although the person who provided the site I let lapse a few years ago is unable to help me.

I also have questions about advertising. I have read of two different types google adsense or affliate marketing. And am wondering if anyone can give info on the advantages / disadvantages of them thanks.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Advice needed on setting up a website

If you are not going to sell on the website then I suggest you make a Blog.
    Wordpress is a free blog-making tool (probably the most widely used), but, your web adress will be only a sub-domain of Wordpress .e.g. www.worpress.lofty100e.com.
    This scenario is free, if you like what you can do with the software then you can upgrade to a paid solution with your own domain name e.g. www.lofty100e.com

Give the free one a try and see what you think. https://wordpress.com/
    I don't use Wordpress because I make my own selling websites using Zen Cart software which is not for the faint-hearted

I have never paid for advertising, if you use a well written home page then Google organic will pick you up.
    I finished making a site last Friday and I have it on page 2 of a Google search for just 3 keywords, that's how quick Google can find you with good keywords!

Is the 100e in your name referring to the Ford 100e?
    Last edited by Poscar; 10th July 2016 at 04:39 PM.
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    Hi, I am intending to have a website that points to my eBid stores. The way I see it there are two routes that I could take:

• Build a website myself, using some of the templates available cheaply on the web.
    • Buy a website from a provider who can supply thewhole package

The downside to the first option is that I know nothing about this process, and so am likely to make a hash of it. I fear ending up with a poorly put together site that says "amateur" all over it. On the plus side though, it may be a useful learning curve.

Having said that though my favoured option is buying a site, although the person who provided the site I let lapse a few years ago is unable to help me.

I also have questions about advertising. I have read of two different types google adsense or affliate marketing. And am wondering if anyone can give info on the advantages / disadvantages of them thanks.

A self build is easy but limited.
    The whole package will be expensive IMO

You will also have to pay to get your listings uploaded to Google.

Unless I am behind the times of course.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

My sites have always been built by me using a host's templates

As you wrote this cheepo way can be seen as a learning tool

I have never paid to advertise as Google picks up sites through my keywords without me doing anything other than including keywords in my text.

I am linked with several affiliate brokers and add links that tie in with my products (although not directly, just products LIKE mine)

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi, thanks for the input. Graham and Gill, I think you mis-understood my OP. The website would merely be a front page elsewhere on the internet for my selling activities on eBid. The links on the site will come through to my eBid stores, so I will not need to upload to Google Shopping.

My question about advertising was asked because last time I had a website (which dramatically improved the amount of traffic to my items); I had a link to an affiliate marketing system (adsense was not around then or at least I hadn't heard of it). The situation with adsense as far as I can see it, is that you can sign up as an affiliate and get paid per click to their adverts.

Moonwitch - would you be able to let me know the names of the affilates, so that I can take a look please? Thanks.

Incidentally Graham the 100e came about because I originally started selling on another site, until I was forced off by scammers trying to sell at a penny a book. How are you supposed to compete with that?

My ID on there was lofty100, as I used the same email address for both venues I thought an easy identifier wouldbe to add an e (to signify the communication was connected to eBid.
    Last edited by lofty100e; 11th July 2016 at 09:41 AM.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Forum Newbie
    View bgandc's Feedback (+2841)
    All-About bgandc
    View bgandc's Listings
    Forum Posts

to be honest go with the blog, I use blogger
    this is a link to my small seller blog http://thesmallseller.blogspot.co.uk/ shameless promotion there but I have only just started.
    cost me nothing, has templates through google to use, I am going to do one for my Comic store next that will link to the shop direct, I used pages to write up and input the links then copy and pasted to the post.
    My mate set up 2 others as affiliate sites and they took him ages my subbuteo site isn't great, looks very plain, his Rc site looks better but he paid for a template and it messed up. I did my blog page in a night. But I am working on improving it, the way it looks etc.
    p.s. use Canva, they have some wonderful tools to create blog pictures and infographs all can be used to link to your site through twitter, facebook and pinterest.
    hope this helps

Forum Diehard
    View JimmyCee's Feedback (+85)
    All-About JimmyCee
    View JimmyCee's Listings
    Forum Posts

In 2002, with Microsoft's Front Page web editor and using the WYSIWUG ( what you see is what you get ) format I put together a website that became highly successful for my needs at the time.
    I knew nothing about doing this, however I went at it with a passion..It taught me much about images, and how to lay out documents and such.
    I was already into wholesaling to various customers, this helped me get my goods out to interested customers in the U.S.
    I am now finished after 27 years in a successful small home based business adventure.
    Give it a shot, you certainly won't regret anything learned...

Thread Information