Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Oregano Essential Oil is One of the Most Powerful Natural Antibiotics Known

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Oregano Essential Oil is One of the Most Powerful Natural Antibiotics Known

Does anyone use Oregano Essential Oil in this way?

"4-5 drops under your tongue every morning and wash it down with fresh squeezed juice with super green food added to it.
    Also used it for infections - dilute it with olive oil before using it. You can rub it into your fingernails for fungal infections.".

"You can also mix a drop in with coconut oil and baking soda to make a healthy, natural toothpaste.
    Leaves your mouth really clean and kills bacteria."

[Comments above taken from Facebook]

http://healthycures.org/oregano-oil-benefits

Wink Re: Oregano Essential Oil is One of the Most Powerful Natural Antibiotics Known

Hi Annie! I do not use such things, but frequently chase around finding actual research on such matters. I have particular peeves about marketing practices which misinform us through misinterpretation, deliberate or otherwise.

Here is a quote from an article based directly on research with correct references::

"Numerous recent studies—including several done by the USDA—have shown great promise in using essential oils as an alternative to antibiotics in livestock. One of their studies, published in October 2014 in the journal Poultry Science, found that chickens who consumed feed with added oregano oil had a 59 percent lower mortality rate due to ascites, a common infection in poultry, than untreated chickens. Other research, from a 2011 issue of BMC Proceedings, showed that adding a combination of plant extracts—from oregano, cinnamon, and chili peppers—actually changed the gene expression of treated chickens, resulting in weight gain as well as protection against an injected intestinal infection. A 2010 study from Poultry Science produced similar findings with the use of extracts from turmeric, chili pepper, and shiitake mushrooms. A multi-year study is currently underway at the USDA that includes investigations into the use of citrus peels and essential oils as drug alternatives."

You will find the complete article here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...l-oils/384247/

My only quibble with the above is the word "underway" which should of course read "under weigh" !

I never know whether to laugh or cry when I see something labelled "all natural ingredients". Worse still is the misuse of "organic". Recently I found a neclace adverised as being made from "organic agate"! There are only about ten minerals categorised as "organic, anthracite being one!

Incidentally the article which you refer to does not differentiate between European Oregano and the American variety, usually referred to as Mexican Oregano. This latter is ten times stronger than the European variety and although in herbal use it tastes similar is in fact a Vervaine and not an Oregano. This raises all sorts of questions! (Wikipedia can help here if interested).

There are several studies published online by European Universities about their initial research into such oils as antioxidants and antibacterial agents in food preservation. The research is ongoing as it has already been discovered that Lavendar oil, much stronger than Oregano, is dangerous to the health of boys.

Sorry to waffle on without having a positive answer, but it seems to me that he popular press has got hold of something and brought it into the realm of "snake oil" ...
    Last edited by cambrensis; 27th March 2016 at 01:23 AM.

Thread Information