Thread: Buyer says NO

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Buyer says NO

Quote Originally Posted by cockneyone View Post
    It is well put as always, but I have explained the cookies and how I feel about them too... how about ebid not placing the advert in the first place! It is just so intrusive everytime I login to have to click 'no' before I can do anything!
    I don't get an advert when I log onto eBid. I get an opening page which invites me to start buying or to start selling.

It is well put as always, but I have explained the cookies and how I feel about them too... how about ebid not placing the advert in the first place! It is just so intrusive everytime I login to have to click 'no' before I can do anything!
    When you go to the other auction site (it shall not be named) the 1st advert you see is one asking you to Sell.
    When I log into my account for said site by clicking ' My E@@@', I don't get taken to my account, I get taken to adverts and recently viewed.

So no matter what site you use, you are always going to get adverts to try and make you sell, after all, without bringing in sellers, there would be no incentive for buyers to browse/buy.

So unless you make an exception on your cookies, there's nothing you can do.

J

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Is this the page you are referring to re: advertising?

https://www.ebid.net/uk/#

If it is, it doesn't bother me at all when I connect to eBid (USA for me)

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Actually, I too find it a bit off putting, the amount of pushing the seller Plus lifetime that eBid seems to do. Frankly, it gets to be somewhat annoying to have them constantly offer it too me when I already have it. You would think that eBid would have the technology in place to recognize those that already purchased it and quit pushing it to them.

Of course, another thing that I find annoying is eBid's direct comparison to eBay. I've always found that to be a bit tacky.

I find the quoting of the gross value of the merchandise listed to be somewhat ludicrous which is also a bit annoying.

That having been said, I can see why eBid is actively seeking to seller Plus lifetime memberships. However, sometimes it does seem a bit too much and I can understand a buyer not wanting to be bombarded with it.

Not being a software guru, I'm not sure precisely how cookies work. I know that when I clear my browser history and remove them I have to resign in the sites that normally recognize my computer. So I can understand that they are important to those who want the convenience of a fast log in. Of course, that doesn't mean someone that cleans their browser upon exit should do it.

eBid need to find a way - that is why I report it here...

Reasons to clear cookies: Cookies can be outdated or corrupted. That can cause error messages. Although each cookie is tiny, many cookies can start taking up space on your computer. That can slow it down. And more importantly, cookies save information about you. They store private information about sites you visit and purchases you make. Do you really want advertisers and, worse, hackers accessing your personal information?
    You still haven't responded to my suggestion you tell us which browser you're using? Or is that overly intrusive of me!

Point by point:

* Cookies can be outdated or corrupted.

Cookies all have an expiry date on them, so you'd need to clarify what you mean by 'outdated'.

Yes, like any data, cookies can be corrupted, but I'd expect that to be very rare and would be an indication of more serious problems within your computer.

* Although each cookie is tiny, many cookies can start taking up space on your computer.

I suggest you upgrade your 4MB ram and 6GB hard drive. Windows 95 is not fit for purpose in the modern world.

Oh, that's not your problem? Well, "do the math", as Americans say. Do tell us how much space you expect cookies to take up. My guess is that it's rather less than the space taken by a dozen pics from your digital camera.

* That can slow it down.

You're pulling my leg.

* And more importantly, cookies save information about you.

They may indeed save information about your actions while connected to a web server, indeed that's their entire purpose.

And other web servers can't access the cookies placed there by different web servers.

However, because modern web pages included adverts etc, supplied by 3rd party servers, each of those servers will see when you visit further sites using those same inserts. For example, if you log in to Facebook [waves wooden cross and garlic] then go to other sites that include Facebook 'like' buttons, the cookies tell F'book those other sites and help them build a picture of your interests.

* They store private information about sites you visit and purchases you make.

As I've indicated above, the cookies are only accessible to the server that put them there. This creates a privacy issue to the extent that servers that deploy ads etc very widely can see where you visit. E.g. if you visit SnowboardersRUs.com, and ExtremeBMX.com, and both include doubleclick.net adverts, then when you visit InterestingBooks.com doubleclick will be able to tailor its choice of ad somewhat, e.g. they'd avoid showing you ads for annuities and pension saving!

* Do you really want advertisers and, worse, hackers accessing your personal information?

Personally I'd rather have as few ads as possible, while recognising that some web sites are extremely dependent on the revenue it brings, and there's no such thing as a free lunch.

But I hope I've shown that advertisers don't get as much info as your paranoia seems to imply.

How do hackers fit into this picture? I'm unsure what you're implying there. Do please explain.

I browse using Firefox. I use extensions such as Adblock Plus, and would like to use NoScript, but I find that breaks so many sites that I can't live with it. I set Firefox to clear cookies on exit, as you do, but I also add a few sites to its exception list, so they're kept. E.g. bbc.co.uk, ebay, ebid.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

"..........if you log in to Facebook [waves wooden cross and garlic] ........." LOL! I love my Facebook!

Your explanation is very good johnwash1 and I agree. Every evening, before I shut down my computer, I always delete my web browsing history which deletes all cookies from all sites I have been to. It bothers me that I am being 'stalked' by ads all the time.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31069)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriCrafts View Post
    "..........if you log in to Facebook [waves wooden cross and garlic] ........." LOL! I love my Facebook!

Your explanation is very good johnwash1 and I agree. Every evening, before I shut down my computer, I always delete my web browsing history which deletes all cookies from all sites I have been to. It bothers me that I am being 'stalked' by ads all the time.
    It would be better if ads were what I want today, the ads are always two weeks too late, and that is why historical tracking is so annoying.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Thread Information