eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else like Art Deco Glass?

Default Does anyone else like Art Deco Glass?

I've been collecting for a few years now and as the weathers still horrible (just had some hail) but a bit brighter I've taken a few pictures of some of the collection. The first two are for Madelaine re. another thread. Sorry the briar picture colour is not very good, the base colour is pale green really.

A suprising number of people have pieces that they inherited or picked up without knowing what it is and I'm always happy to have a go at identifying pieces for them. For the more knowledgeable there are some pictures of pieces I can't ID and would be gratefull if any other enthusiasts can.

This type of glass was mainly made between the wars although some designs go back to the early 20th century and the more popular continued into the 50s or even 60s. It was made in the UK, Europe and the USA and the style still sees regular revivals.

Sorry my hands are a bit shakey this morning! Pic.3 is Bagley and Stolzle.
    Pic.4 is (from the top) Davidson, Bagley, Walther & Soehne and Stolzle.
    Pic.5 is Bagley "Bedford" with mainly Stolzle below.
    Pic.6 is Val Saint Lambert with more Bagley below.

For the un-identifyed pieces the only one with any marking is Pic.7 which has "Made in France" but no makers name.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by theElench; 14th February 2016 at 10:13 AM.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Does anyone else like Art Deco Glass?

What a great collection! I love the tall blue one - like a miniature piece of a 30s cinema!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I love it! These are so beautiful!!! Not sure I have a favourite color, tho I do really like the row of vases above the tiled wall, the big blue vase, and the chubby gold one right at the end. I only have a few pink pieces, but think they are quite dainty. I like the color, as it's more salmon than pink. I'm not a pink person......................
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

i agree what a nice collection, there is some thing special about that era, i also like the non deco style pottery from that period , brightly painted flowers on dinner plates saucers ect,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

I love Art Deco and your collection but I wouldn't want to do the dusting in your house!
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

The tall blue vase is, I think, what is often called the Odeon Style, angular and architectural and named after the incredible Art Deco cinemas of the period. It's the way the designers blended the ancient, contemporary and futuristic that makes Art Deco unique. Hollywood in the 20s and 30s was producing epics like The Ten Commandments and Cleopatra and these introduced an ancient Egyptian influence to design. As did the opening of Tutankhamuns tomb in the 1920s. The rayed sun motife I'm sure comes from the back of his throne and the clocks and pieces of circular furniture on pediments become, if you put a couple of huge feathers behind them, royal head-dresses.

The Hollywood influence shows up again in the more futuristic "Rocket" vases and other pieces of glass with angular feet and fins or wings on the sides. Echoes of early sci-fi films like The Shape Of Things To Come.

I like the colours because they too are only from that period. Pale, almost washed-out greens, blues and pinks rather than the often loud and garish tones of Victorian and Edwardian designs and not as strident as the stronger reds, blues oranges that followed them in the 50s. A group of different coloured Art Deco glass blends together without clashing as other styles would do without taking a lot more care.

I love the style because when I look at the really classic designs they are so simple, with long elegant lines and perhaps a bit of contrast between clear and frosted elements. I think thats partly why it's still collected and has periodic revivals.

I'm still hoping someone will come along with ideas about who made the pieces in the last four photos, even best guesses might put me on the right track.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello ! Check Walther Glass for your last pieces.:-)

Hello and sorry for the delay in replying. I have checked Walther in the past but not for a while. Do you have any clues as to where to look other than google image search? The blue bowl with lid is a bit bigger than usual for a powder bowl and I've never been sure if it's really Art Deco or a modern piece, possibly a Sarsasparilla Co. Deco style imitation. Anyway thanks for answering I'll have another look through Walther.

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

3rd picture from the bottom I'm sure is Ragusa four footed bowl from walther glass, same with the amber "rocket vase is walther unsure of pattern name tho. the blue powder bowl I'm not sure many factories made these.

Thanks for the info. any clues or suggestions gratefully received.

Are you a collector? Would you like to share some pictures with us?

Off now to search Ragusa, thanks again.

Thread Information