Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: eBid parcel tape for money?

Forum Lurker
    West Hampstead, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View kodakfish's Feedback (+2288)
    All-About kodakfish
    View kodakfish's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Re: eBid parcel tape for money?

Please Gazza & co, not seen any since the new logo came in, it's a great way to advertise and drive people to the site. I hear evilBay are going to sell branded packaging materials.

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: eBid parcel tape for money?

I think it is rather daft that eBid do not sell their "branded" parcel tape given what it costs to have rolls made for them to be given away completely free - there is profit to be made for eBid in the sale of branded parcel tape to sellers on eBid if they can get at least 25,000 rolls per year made.

I have looked into branded parcel tape and boxes (kite packaging I checked out for my business) but it is seriously expensive to do under x amount of units however on the scale eBay and Amazon can do it with their bottomless pit of fees from sellers they can afford the larger scale production of branded packaging materials to reduce the price per unit.

The image below is just an example per roll just from a company like Kite in the UK and you need to add VAT to that price too (I have no idea where eBid get their tape made). Other companies will no doubt be similarly priced per roll. I have not bothered searching for other manufacturer's who print custom parcel tape because I am not interested in doing so for my own businesses because it is an unnecessary expense for me so I am not going to waste my time doing searches to compare prices and quite frankly I have more important things to do with my time. I use Kite and Macro packaging a lot for different size boxes and padded envelopes.

As an example: standard tape, 1 colour, 72 rolls, will cost you £180.57 including VAT at 20% (£2.50 per roll) so it is expensive tape for eBid to be giving away when ordering such small quantities especially when you could divide that £180 over 4 weekends of paid advertising on Facebook at £15.00 per day for 12 days (Fri-Sun over 4 weekends) which would reach hundreds of millions of people around the world whether they direct click on the ad banner or not as apposed to the minuscule number of people who'll see the parcel tape during transit

Or standard tape, 1 colour, 360 rolls, will cost you £583.20 including VAT (£1.62 per roll) which is a decent price but not if you are going to sell it to the sellers on eBid and at a profit to eBid after any transaction fee they may have to pay if they do pay any that is via their own site.

However, same problem, the tape will still only be seen by a miniscule number of people compared to paid advertising on a place like Facebook and/or Twitter using that same money and you will get far more people from Facebook/Twitter checking out eBid than you ever will with parcel tape and that's just the reality of it whether people like it or not

Some sellers may think it is worth eBid going to the expense of having branded parcel tape for sale as long as they sell it at a profit to eBid but to also make it worthwhile ordering 1,440 rolls (£1.19 per roll inc. VAT, total cost of £1,710.72, standard tape, 1 colour). You can order more rolls per production run than what is advertised but obviously the overall upfront cost increases despite the price per roll coming down so you have to ask, can eBid really afford it? Is the demand there globally among eBid sellers for eBid to have the tape made in such huge quantities to keep price per roll as low as possible and sell it to the sellers? These are things eBid has to look at cost and demand wise.

I hope this post helps build some understanding as to the cost of custom printed parcel tape and whether it is financially viable for eBid to do it and to sell the tape direct to the sellers on here which it might be so long as it can be guaranteed eBid sells at least 15,000 rolls per year to the sellers on eBid globally to get the cost per roll down to say .69p inc. VAT for standard tape, 1 colour, if eBid were in a position to order much larger quantities than advertised with Kite and other manufacturers but then there is the shipping costs of rolls of tape to different sellers in different countries as it would not be cheap to ship say a pack of 12 rolls to someone in the USA or Australia due to the weight so would sellers in other countries be interested in the tape then as it sure is not worth just shipping 2-4 rolls given the cost of airmail (even with biz accounts with Royal Mail the price discounted is not much off the public tariff price) and any import taxes they may have to pay on top as eBid would probably not mark things down as a gift or product sample to avoid the customer paying import duties etc. All stuff that needs to be thought about unfortunately.

Name:  custom tape kite.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  55.7 KB
    Last edited by rokins_toys; 14th September 2016 at 08:48 PM.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Quote Originally Posted by kodakfish View Post
    Please Gazza & co, not seen any since the new logo came in, it's a great way to advertise and drive people to the site. I hear evilBay are going to sell branded packaging materials.
    Here in the U.S we can get free priority boxes from the post office branded from the darkside, eBid really needs to step up their game.

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11854)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysComics View Post
    Here in the U.S we can get free priority boxes from the post office branded from the darkside, eBid really needs to step up their game.
    same old story with eBid... perhaps someone with enterprise can make and supply same

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 20sent06 View Post
    same old story with eBid... perhaps someone with enterprise can make and supply same
    I seem to recall someone offering to source and supply tape (I think it was tape) before but eBid refused permission to use their name and logo - so would likely do the same for boxes or any other commercial venture.

The economics of all branded products would be better if eBid didn't keep changing their logo.
    Last edited by astral276; 9th July 2016 at 04:14 PM.

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11854)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I seem to recall someone offering to source and supply tape (I think it was tape) before but eBid refused permission to use their name and logo - so would likely do the same for boxes or any other commercial venture.

The economics of all branded products would be better if eBid didn't keep changing their logo.
    A shame...

ps - I love your signature!

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Name:  bump-bumping.gif
Views: 112
Size:  80.5 KB

View bunsock's Feedback (+14461)
    All-About bunsock
    View bunsock's Listings
    Forum Posts

Some tape on Buddy Point auctions again would also be nice.

I guess on the cost side there is the postage issue, as in UK it will be a Small Parcel costing £2.85 by Royal Mail (less any discounts)

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunsock View Post
    I guess on the cost side there is the postage issue, as in UK it will be a Small Parcel costing £2.85 by Royal Mail (less any discounts)
    Like advised to anyone who sells, let the buyer decide if they are willing to pay the postage costs. If you don't offer the goods then you can't sell them.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

you could probably get a couple for small parcel postage
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Thread Information