eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International Shipping - Not Known

Default International Shipping - Not Known

Hi Gazza,
    Would it be possible to have listings that have "International Shipping - Not Known" unable to pay for until an Invoice has been sent.
    I've just had 3 sales from International customers who obviously did not read the listing on the items they purchased properly as I have it as Contact me before Bidding/Paying, yet have just gone on to pay without P&P being worked out.
    I've sent them a message saying how much it would cost to send and am waiting for a reply on wether they still want the items.
    Kind Regards, Jason

View RameRetro's Feedback (+33)
    All-About RameRetro
    View RameRetro's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: International Shipping - Not Known

Quote Originally Posted by BigKidsAttic View Post
    Hi Gazza,
    Would it be possible to have listings that have "International Shipping - Not Known" unable to pay for until an Invoice has been sent.
    I've just had 3 sales from International customers who obviously did not read the listing on the items they purchased properly as I have it as Contact me before Bidding/Paying, yet have just gone on to pay without P&P being worked out.
    I've sent them a message saying how much it would cost to send and am waiting for a reply on wether they still want the items.
    Kind Regards, Jason
    As you are willing to sell internationally and have obviously been successful in doing so, is there any reason you are not including international shipping charges in your listings?

Quote Originally Posted by RameRetro View Post
    As you are willing to sell internationally and have obviously been successful in doing so, is there any reason you are not including international shipping charges in your listings?
    Up until today, I had only previously sold 1 item Internationally in 18 months.
    I don't include an International Shipping charge on the listings as the vast majority of my items vary in weight by a few gramms, which can switch from one P&P to another.
    Also, some items are bulky to the point that the Shipping charge would double or even triple the price.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

i too used "not known", as the packaging can take an item into a higher price zone, but have now changed to" do not offer international shipping" for the same reason.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

It's fairly easy to work out the international postage, just weigh the item with a box or whatever packaging you might use as you list. This calculator should help - http://www.seajays.org.uk/postage/

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    It's fairly easy to work out the international postage, just weigh the item with a box or whatever packaging you might use as you list.
    Yes, it just smacks at laziness not to bother to work out the postage costs to the places you are offering to sell to. I wouldn't buy from anywhere online that wanted me to commit to buy and then they would decide the postage costs later - even more so from overseas.

Things also do not tend to gain or lose size and weight between the time of listing and time of sale.

It's not even as if the UK postal system is as complicated as the US one when trying to calculate shipping.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Yes, it just smacks at laziness not to bother to work out the postage costs to the places you are offering to sell to. I wouldn't buy from anywhere online that wanted me to commit to buy and then they would decide the postage costs later - even more so from overseas.

Things also do not tend to gain or lose size and weight between the time of listing and time of sale.

It's not even as if the UK postal system is as complicated as the US one when trying to calculate shipping.
    I agree with you Mel. I have taken the time to weigh all of my packages (only takes a couple of minutes per package) to be able to add my shipping costs on all of my listings. It really is no bother to me to do so - I just think it makes sense to display all shipping costs to my customers and have the eBid system do the tally for me when items sell and I need to send an invoice.

View RameRetro's Feedback (+33)
    All-About RameRetro
    View RameRetro's Listings
    Forum Posts

I also weigh the item and packaging and on the odd occasion I have sold to an international buyer, the postage was spot on. I always quote the cheaper Royal Mail standard international charge, which is marketed as pretty much snail mail. I explain this in my listings with the proviso that a buyer can contact me if they require the item faster and I will issue an amended invoice. Judging by customer feedback, the "snail mail" is faster than Royal Mail state (perhaps they are managing expectations).

I've sold many items internationally, the shipping charge was always calculated correctly. I don't know if that option is available to UK sellers, so go into edit mode on one of your listings, scroll down to the shipping section, and see if there's a selection under "International Shipping" that says "Calculated - Varies by Buyer Location."

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I've sold many items internationally, the shipping charge was always calculated correctly. I don't know if that option is available to UK sellers, so go into edit mode on one of your listings, scroll down to the shipping section, and see if there's a selection under "International Shipping" that says "Calculated - Varies by Buyer Location."
    No, we don't have that option to have the shipping automagically calculated. I think eBid said they can't access the Royal Mail site to do it. It's not hard to do it yourself anyway; our system is far less convoluted than yours.

Thread Information