eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Job

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Job

Elihu's Fourth Speech (Job 36:1---37:24)

Who is Elihu speaking to in chapter 37?
    This is the second chapter of Elihu's fourth speech (4b). Elihu is speaking to Job, his three friends,and to any wise men present.

What is Elihu trying to accomplish in part two of his fourth speech?
    Elihu is continuing his hymn-like praise to God, for his great work, for his wonders in the earth's atmosphere, and for all of his creation (vv 1-13). Elihu is speaking about the voice of God, as though he is actually hearing God's voice (vv 2-5; see 38:1).

When are Elihu's statements similar to statements made by God to Job?
    Elihu speaks directly to Job, asking him questions that sounded similar to the rhetorical questions God asked Job (vv 14-18).

Where does Elihu's statements anticipate God's appearance to Job?
    Elihu states...."Out of the north he comes in golden splendor; God comes in awesome majesty (v 22; see also vv 2-5).

Why does Elihu invite Job (challenge him) to tell those present how to present a case against God?
    Elihu does this to shame Job for bringing a case against God; for condemning God to justify himself. (vv 19-20)

Elihu rest his case on behalf of God by saying.... "The Almighty is beyond our reach and exalted in power...." (v 23; see 36:26). Concluding that.... "Therefore, men revere him..." (v 24).

How does God respond to Elihu's praise and worship of him?
    Elihu begins to prepare for God's appearance with exaltation and praise of God. He magnifies God for his power, his great work, for his sovereignty over earth's atmosphere, and all of his creation.

Elihu continues to praise and worship God. He ends his praise in reverence of God. Immediately following Elihu's high praise of God,..."Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said..." (38:1)

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up Re: Job

God's Appearance to Job (38:1---42:6)

Who is the main speaker in the last five chapters of the Book of Job?

The LORD God is virtually the sole speaker in these final chapters. God is the only speaker in chapter 38, as Job remained silent after God's first question (charge). Job makes two brief comments later, in response to the discourses of God. Job's three friends say nothing; Elihu says nothing and is not spoken of again in the scriptures.

Many Bible scholars refer to Job 38:1---42:6 as the theophany (appearance of God) to Job. "Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said: 'Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge? Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me.'" (38:1-3 NIV)

The theophany (appearance of God) to Job contains the two discourses of God. Discourses are extended, orderly, connected speeches or written thoughts on a topic. Both discourses, 38:1---40:2 and 40:6---41:34, open with..."Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm". (38:1; 40:6)

Storms generally cause an atmospheric disturbance, characterized by strong tempestuous winds, rain, thunder, lightning, or other harsh elements. God's tone and words are harsh towards Job, at his appearance.

God's rhetorical question (charge) directed at Job utilized the 5W format. God asked, "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?" (38:2; see 34:37, 35:16) The 5W or 5W1H format, although included, is not broad enough to cover the entire spectrum of God's rhetorical questions to Job.

Job was confronted by a "storm" of rhetorical questions from God but he had no answer. God concluded his first discourse with other charges against Job, that are in the form of a rhetorical question. "The LORD said to Job: Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him? Let him who accuses God answer him!"(40:1-2). Job briefly answers God, indicating that he is unworthy...and will say no more (40:3-5).

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

God's Appearance to Job (The First Discourse 38:1---40:2)

The LORD'S appearance to Job (38:1) was unique, from his appearance to many of his other servants.

"Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:" (38:1; see 40:6). First, if God answered Job "out of the storm", then God was probably "in the storm". This opening statement occurred at the beginning of both discourses.

What may have been some possible contributing factors for God to remain "in the storm", while answering or speaking to Job? God's mercy and grace could be restraining forces. God was firm with Job, and at times forceful with him, but he did not want to destroy Job. God's ultimate plan for Job now was his restoration.

Another factor that could have influenced God remaining "in the storm" was God's intent to obscure his full presence, glory, and power. God was angry with Job at his appearance. Job would not have been able to survive the fully revealed glory of God.

God said: "Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge? (38:2; see 40:1-2a) God had lodged several charges against Job. He also commanded Job to... "Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me." (38:3; 40:7)

Job was told by God to brace himself (to prepare for intense challenge). Job was confronted by a "storm" of rhetorical questions from God but he had no answer. (see 40:3-5)

The LORD also made appearances to his servants Elijah, Moses, and many others. The LORD passed by Elijah on Mount Horeb. A great and powerful wind tore the mountain apart...but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind...an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake..a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.
    Then a voice said to him. God spoke to Elijah in a still small voice. (1 Kings 19:9-13)

God spoke with Moses regularly and directly, like someone speaks with a friend. So Moses asked God to show him his glory. And God told him he would place him in a cleft in the rock, cover him with his hand, until he passes by proclaiming his name. God told Moses he could see his back as he passed by, but not his face, for no one could see his face and live. (Exodus 33:18-23; 34:5-7)

The LORD knew his servant Job, and he knew about Job's intense suffering. He had to bring Job through a storm of tough love, to restore him to his former state and better.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

God's Appearance to Job (The First Discourse 38:1---40:2) Continued

When does God make an appearance to a person? When will God speak clearly to a person? Does God still speak to us today?

In Hebrews 13:8 we are told that God is the same yesterday and today and forever. "I the LORD do not change." (Malachi 3:6)

Throughout the scriptures one can find dramatic examples of the appearance of God, to his servants (called ones), to his people, and even to those who do not know him or serve him.

The LORD shows up (appears) for various reasons and causes. He will come on the scene in response to true praise and worship; he actually inhabits the praises of his people. This was seen at the conclusion of Elihu's thanksgiving and praise of God (Job 38:1).

He will appear to his servants and his people (usually through an advocate), to communicate his judgements, redemptive plans, and plans of deliverance (see Exodus 2:23-25; 3:7-10, 16-17; 4:29-31).

God will appear in response to prayer. "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know"(Jeremiah 33:3). "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me" (Revelation 3:20).

Many today wonder if God actually speaks, if he actually has a voice, or even if he really wants to talk to them. The answer is yes, yes, yes. God speaks clearly and in many ways.

Are we listening to his voice, are we seeking to hear him and respond to his voice/word? It is important to understand the many ways that God speaks.

God can speak through His word, generally and specifically (rhema). There is nothing as special as God confirming something to you through a specific rhema word from the Bible.

He can speak to you in your thoughts, dreams, visions, your circumstances (open and closed doors), through others, in a sermon, through nature (the sea, flowers, trees, grass), and through a deep sense of peace.

God can speak or appear supernaturally. From Genesis to Revelation, the Bible is full of many of the supernatural appearances of God, where he often spoke audibly. God still speaks today in an audible voice (a still small voice).

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

God's Appearance to Job (The First Discourse 38:1---40:2) Continued

God asked Job..."Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?" (38:4) Job was not recorded among the witnesses to the creation by God. The morning stars sang in unison, and the angels shouted for joy, as God created the earth and laid it's cornerstone (38:6-7).

Wisdom claimed to be by God's side during creation...filled with delight day by day, rejoicing in his presence (Proverbs 8:30). Wisdom claimed to be among the first of God's works, even before creation (Proverbs 8:22-31, see 3:19-20). This fascinating description and personification of wisdom should be read carefully.

The key themes of God's first discourse, reflected in his rhetorical questions to Job, were his sovereignty, power, loving care, and provision over his creation. The first discourse highlights God's sovereignty and power over nature, including the earth, the sea, the sun, the moon, light, darkness, atmospheric elements, the constellations (38:4-38). God's sovereignty, power, loving care, and provision are confirmed throughout the animal kingdom that he created (38:39---39:30).

God ends his first discourse, as he began, with charges lodged against Job, and a demand for an answer (40:1-2)

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

God's Appearance to Job (The Second Discourse 40:6---41:34)

The first and second discourses of God (38:1-40:2) and 40:6---41:34) are linked with the LORD'S second set of charges against Job, his demand for an answer (40:1-2), and Job's first response(40:3-5).

God charged Job with contending with him, trying to correct him, and with making accusations against him (40:1-2). God demanded for the second time that Job answer him (40:2b; see 38:3b). "Then Job answered the LORD: I am unworthy...I have no answer...I will say no more." (40:3-5)

"Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm:" (40:6; see 38:1) The second discourse of God begins very similar to the first. "Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me." (40:7; see 38:3) This statement and demand of God is repeated here in the second discourse.

God further charges Job with discrediting his justice, and condemning him to justify himself (40:8). God addressed his own justice; he made no attempts to justify Job, as Job had demanded.

The second discourse is introduced by God's statement in 40:8-14. God contends with Job, demonstrating that he is able to defend his character and nature. God asked Job if he had an arm like his, or a voice that thunders like his voice (40:9).

Elihu spoke of the majestic voice of God, calling on all in attendance to listen to the roar of his voice. Elihu spoke of the marvelous and majestic voice of God; and that he does great things beyond our understanding (37:1-5).

Elihu spoke not only of God's majestic voice, but of his awesome majesty (his appearance). (37:22) Elihu was preparing Job for the theophany (the appearance of God) in the storm (38---41).

Is it possible that Elihu saw God in a way, that Job did not see? Elihu stated, "Out of the north he comes in golden splendor; God comes in awesome majesty." (37:22) There seems to be no obscuring of God's appearance in his statement.

Many have asked..."Why didn't God say anything to Elihu? Why was Elihu not heard from again?" Many writers and biblical scholars have suggested answers to these questions.

The Bible does not address these questions. I have asked those questions many times; each time I read the Book of Job. I have speculated that he seemed to be a type of John the Baptist; or a messenger of God. He often seemed to anticipate God's words, comments, and even his appearance (the theophany). However, this time around, I wondered if he could have been translated (taken alive). Just thinking about it or wondering; as Elijah experienced that (see 2 Kings 2:1-18), and so did Enoch(see Genesis 5:21-24).

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

God's Appearance to Job (The Second Discourse 40:6---41:34) Continued

The first and second discourses of God are linked by Job 40:1-5. Not only are these two discourses linked, but they each contain key themes.

The key themes of God's first discourse, reflected in his rhetorical questions to Job, were his sovereignty, power, loving care, and provision over his creation. The first discourse highlights God's sovereignty and power over nature, including the earth, the sea, the sun, the moon, light, darkness, atmospheric elements, the constellations (38:4-38). God's sovereignty, power, loving care, and provision are confirmed throughout the animal kingdom that he created (38:39---39:30).

The key themes of God's second discourse, pertained to God's character. God addressed the nature of his justice, and his ability to administer justice. God addressed his own deity; and his total sovereignty over the most powerful beast he created. The two poems of the second discourse describe behemoth (40:15-24) and leviathan (41:1--34). These two powerful beast give testimony to the power of God, as he alone can exercise total control over them.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Job's Response to the Second Discourse (42:1-6)

Who is speaking during and after the first and second discourses of God?

The LORD alone is speaking during the first discourse (38:1---40:2). Job spoke briefly in humility following the first discourse (40:3-5).

The LORD alone is speaking during the second discourse (40:6---41:34). Job responds briefly again to the LORD'S second discourse (42:1-6).

What is Job's response to God's first and second discourses?

Job responded in humility following the first discourse (40:3-5). Job responded to the LORD'S second discourse in total submission (42:1-5), total humility (42:6), and total repentance(42:6). He stated..."Therefore I depise myself and repent in dust and ashes." Dust symbolizes humiliation and insignificance (30:19), and ashes symbolize repentance (42:6).

The burnt offering signified total consecration and commitment (Lev. 1:1-17). The ashes of the burnt offering were removed and carried outside the camp (Lev. 5:8-13). Job had reached a place of consecration to the LORD.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Final Comments and Actions of the LORD Towards Job and His Three Friends (42:7-17)

Who is speaking during the final section(epilogue) of Job 42:7-17?

"After the LORD had said these things to Job....." (v.7). The LORD is speaking in anger to the three friends of Job (42:7-9). There is no indication that any of them spoke to God. The LORD said,..."I am angry with you and your two friends, because you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has." (v.7)

What things did God say to Job, as stated at the beginning of verse 7?

The LORD spoke directly to Job in his two discourses. Now God is speaking about Job; He has called Job His servant four times (42:7-8; see also 1:8, 2:3). The LORD is once again boasting about His servant Job.

When did the LORD restore Job's relationship and standing as His servant?

Job was restored by God following his act of total repentance. Job submitted to God's rule and reign in his life, in total humility (42:1-6).

The LORD commanded Job's three friends..."to take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and sacrifice a burnt offering for yourselves. My servant Job will pray for you, and I will accept his prayer..." (vv. 8-9). Job is positioned by God as a priest.

Where is Job, as God rebukes his three friends?

Job is standing by faithfully waiting to respond to the directives of the LORD. Job's three friends "did what the LORD told them; and the LORD accepted Job's prayer." (V.9)

Why did God forgive Job, and seemingly forget all the mistakes Job made, in his words and attitudes concerning the LORD?

The LORD God is faithful, merciful, and just. He will forgive a person of their sins when they sincerely repent. Job had totally humbled himself and repented in dust and ashes before the LORD. The three friends of Job did not repent for their arrogant misrepresentation of God.

Even as Job made mistakes, he spoke honestly to God about his thoughts and feelings. Job's three friends were arrogant and unkind to Job, as they made false assumptions as to why Job was suffering. They spoke about God; whereas Job spoke to God.

Therefore, Job was forgiven for all of his mistakes by God, and restored to his covenant relationship with God.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Post Re: Job

Final Comments and Actions of the LORD Towards Job and His Three Friends (42:7-17) Cont'd

So Job's three friends went to him, doing as they were told by the LORD...."and the LORD accepted Job's prayer." (42:8-9)

Who were the probable speakers in verses 8-9?

Job's three friends would have had to communicate verbally with Job, to offer their burnt offerings, to appease God. Job's prayer(s) for his three friends was probably verbal, as Job was operating in the office of a priest.

What happened after Job prayed for his three friends, who were unkind and abusive of Job, during his intense suffering?

"After Job had prayed for his friends, the LORD made him prosperous again and gave him twice as much as he had before." (42:10)

Job's prayer for his three friends, is an Old Testament/Torah illustration, of a key principle of mature Christian living.

Jesus taught during "The Sermon on the Mount/"The Beatitudes", on the need to "love one's enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Jesus went on to indicate that it was expected of members of God's Kingdom to be perfect (mature) by doing these things, because God is perfect. (Matthew 5:43-48 NIV)

Note: To be perfect (mature) as a follower of God, is not the same as the attribute of God's perfection.

When did Job's circumstances turn around?

"After Job had prayed for his three friends...." (42:10). If you miss everything about the lessons learned from the Book of Job, do not miss this point.

Job's prayer for his three friends initiated his restoration of prosperity. The source of Job's restored prosperity was the LORD, who gave him twice as much as had before. The mathematical nature of God is multiplication.

Thread Information