Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning coins?

Forum Newbie
    View Stnenopmoc's Feedback (+32)
    All-About Stnenopmoc
    View Stnenopmoc's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Cleaning coins?

If You are cleaning them just for 'fun' and they have no real value - be careful some 2p coins are worth a bit more than you would expect - then, in my experementing, Silver Dip will bring up a copper coin to a nice pink finish, but that will last and never return to the correct copper colour. Beware of stripping the copper plated steel recent versions, you can tell these with a magnet. ABOVE ALL Check the rareity of everything before you do anything to the coin

To a point I agree the warm soapy water theory, but drying it will rub the high points and leaving it to dry naturally will leave a film over the fields, and these can be spotted and reduce the value. So, wash them in water after? Yes, but only soft water, never hard water the question then is how do you dry the?. Never rub, that will wear the high points and leave scratches in the fields. Leave to dry natyrally, not really there will be marks and you will need to stand the coin on its edge. Heat, no similar problem with marks and may affect the fields of the copper.

It's a right puzzle - best not to touch them.

The bigger issue is the decision about a proof coin with a finger mark on it. clean or leave ?
    Last edited by Stnenopmoc; 1st June 2021 at 08:49 PM.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5871)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you, Stnen. I used to list a lot of coins and mostly decided to leave them as they were - the buyer can then decide. When I had a good supply, I was selling them rather well here.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have come across some coins which were in a jar I cleared out my late mother's home, one is very black and can just see some silvery metal on the edges, one side I can make out a cow with the words 10 pence, 1977 and on the reverse it has what looks similar to 3 lions (but not as I normally see them)with writing around the edge which is not English, I have only been able to see the details with the help of a magnifier, any ideas what it could be, also some other coins which include schillings from the 70's.

Now time to find out more about them before listing

Might be Republic of Ireland / Eire ??
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you Elench however I did a little hunting on-line last night and found out it is from Jersey so not worth anything. Now to tackle the Schillings searched a little last night, can find nothing so far but will try again later but time to crack on, if weather holds out for tomorrow I am off to a car boot, already closed some of my listings in preparation and they are packed ready.

Thread Information