eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: SD card for mobile phone

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default SD card for mobile phone

Recommendations on which make to buy please.

Thank you.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Default Re: SD card for mobile phone

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Recommendations on which make to buy please.

Thank you.
    I get mine from 7dayshop usually - and the cheapest they have at the size I want. That's because I know they test them for capacity. There are a lot of fakes around: for example a card may register as 32 Gb and be only 4 Gb. You may not realise there's something wrong for months. Even the big named companies do not usually test, so the brand on the card does not .necessarily mean that it is not fake. You can test them yourself but the testing takes several hours usually.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

I very rarely buy anything like this online now,having been stung too often.As Cambrensis says,they don't always do what it says on the tin!
    If you have a shop near you that sells such things I'd recommend going there,at least then you can take them back & swop immediately if faulty.I have bought,Sony,Samsung,Kingston,TDK.All have had to be changed at some stage.Once changed though I've had no problems with their replacements.
    I go for the cheapest version of the capacity I need.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

i usually buy mine from argos or one of the catalog companies then if there is a problem you can send them back
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Do not confuse fault with fake. I have seen many cases of a card seeming to be faulty owing to user error. The most common problem there is that the user places too much confidence in the battery indicator of the device they are using (camera, phone, etc.) In this situation the indicator (usually a bar graph of some sort) shows two out of three bars used and the device is still working. This does not mean there is enough power for the camera section to record to the card; there may not be sufficient. In this situation the attempted recording will garble and then the card is inaccessible. The user thinks the card is faulty. In fact, running the card through recovery software to recover the photographs, then formatting the card is usually enough. A card that has been properly made and set up will not fail other than through age, after having been through thousands of formattings.

I was speaking of cards with faked credentials and I do not mean an "iffy" label. Check this website for more information:

https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2...erfeit-drives/

it speaks of usb flash drives; essentially they are the same as micro sd, sd and cf cards but in a different packaging. Sometimes you are told that a card/drive has been "upgraded"...beware! It may be simple hype but could well be an indication of something quite different.

Speed is a different question and the biggest problem here is that a seller may well confuse read and write speeds. Very few in this arena actually understand how the things work!

I have considerable experience in this field, fake cards and cameras and card "failure". If anybody has a problem in these areas they are welcome to PM me.

So, back to the original question: Go to a retailer you KNOW batch tests the cards/drives. Most smartphones have a 32Gb maximum on card size, but check your handbook for this. Also check for maximum speed it can handle as some cards now are so fast that they work only with the specified hardware.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

yes i bought a 32gb on tos that turned out to only be a 4gb. The computer read it as 32 when you clicked on it but it would only hold 4gb.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you everyone. I'll pop into town tomorrow and check out the stores.

Just one question though. How would I know which retailer batch tested?
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

You won't. chances are they will not know themselves. On the other hand if a big enough company may well have bought directly from the manufacturer.
    One male springs to mind which is rarely found as a fake as it is made in the U.S. and not as well known as some of the "big" names in Europe. The brand is PNY.

The obvious retailer for these is the biggest..the company that sold bicycles when I was a boy!

Just done a check on eBid re cards and flash drives. We have one seller blatantly selling fakes and one or two selling drives which must be fake. A rule of thumb for price would be from 50p to £1 per Gb. In other words I'd expect a 32Gb card to sell from between £16 and £32 depending on the speed of the card.

Now would you fancy buying a 256 Gb flash drive for about £30? (No! I am not offering! Just look around...)

Thread Information