eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me identify this piece of Middle Eastern metal ware?

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Can anyone help me identify this piece of Middle Eastern metal ware?

Well, that means it definitely isn't iron
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View RameRetro's Feedback (+33)
    All-About RameRetro
    View RameRetro's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Can anyone help me identify this piece of Middle Eastern metal ware?

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    Well, that means it definitely isn't iron
    I'm pretty sure it's bronze.

The valuer at my local auction house didn't know what it was either so it could be difficult to shift. If it doesn't sell, I am happy for it to adorn my mantelpiece.

It would look better on yours though........

I think there is a piece missing, a stem of some sort, if you look under the saucer there is clearly burn marks, where you have sat the cup into the recess I think it should be a stem and the cup sits on the top of the stem, I don't think its for liquid.

I am no expert but take a really good look at the markings, they usually tell a lot.

Forget looking around for the cup and saucer, look for the design.

And for goodness sake delete the pics, my screen is nearly 3 times the size, lol
    Fund Raiser For The Talbot Owners Club

All Profits From any Sales goes to fund the Talbot Owners Club ( Classic Motorhome )

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

at a guess i would say the key is the handle to the tea cup at a glance it resembles Damascus ware, but the handle and design looks indian too me, the tea cup handle being colonial influence, just a guess, some thing to go on
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Could be wrong though, maybe just maybe there should be a larger plate for the saucer to sit on.

All Profits From any Sales goes to fund the Talbot Owners Club ( Classic Motorhome )

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    at a guess i would say the key is the handle to the tea cup at a glance it resembles Damascus ware, but the handle and design looks indian too me, the tea cup handle being colonial influence, just a guess, some thing to go on
    You could be onto something with the Indian route, tea ect

Quote Originally Posted by sizexl View Post
    You could be onto something with the Indian route, tea ect
    Bear in mind that the area suggested originally (Syria etc) is in the "Fertile Crescent", a trade route for several thousand years. That trade route led to India and designs and ideas flowed across it. For example our everyday numerals (1.2.3.etc) which are referred to as Arabic numerals are of Indian origin; it's simply that we received them from the Arabs.

Would it be ok for me to ask a few Near and Middle Eastern friends if they can tell us anything? (Archaeologists etc.,so quite tame and civilised I assure you!) Could send them the pics...

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RameRetro View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's bronze.

The valuer at my local auction house didn't know what it was either so it could be difficult to shift. If it doesn't sell, I am happy for it to adorn my mantelpiece.

It would look better on yours though........

there are collectors of indian brass ware this piece has been spun on a lathe you can see the " centre " point of the fixed point of the lathe under the foot. the wall of the cup is heavy again showing it was turned, probably late 19th early 20th century, the decoration is crude , red paint, if it was red enamel it would certainly be a older piece, i would not clean it up as the patina is part of its history, as i said earlier the handle gives it origin as english influenced a typical english tea cup copied in brass or similar alloy with a crude decoration,
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Could it be the Holy Grail?
    More likely to do with Khayyam's "cup of wine"....

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have you considered taking it to a museum local to you? They may have the answers you are looking for or they may be able to point you to someone who can help identify the piece for you.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Thread Information