eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is the point of collecting

Default Re: what is the point of collecting

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    I think there are many 'points' to collecting. For some people, it may be the thrill of the chase....seeking and finding the elusive item you need to finish your collection. If you collect many things, then hide them away, maybe this is it.

For some people, it may be the desire to be surrounded by things that they find beautiful, or that make them happy. If you like to display your collection, maybe this is it.
    For some people, it may be a long term goal of amassing a set of items that will have more value, and they see it as a financial investment for the future.
    Maybe there are as many reasons as there are people. Keeps you busy, fills up time, gives you a purpose, gives you interactions with others, etc ad inf.
    What do YOU think, Penni?
    I agree with HerMaj. I think that there are many reasons why people collect and these are some good points.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

My daughter gave me a good idea when I was mega downsizing. I'm very sentimental, and enjoy seeing items I had as a kid, or my mom had, or my kids had...or that I got because they were lovely, but don't fit anymore, etc etc. She told me to take a picture of the item, as what I REALLY wanted was to retain the memories. I didn't need the item. Pictures take up a lot less space. Then you can sell or give away your items, to someone who will love them, and you STILL retain your memories!
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Another good point, HerMaj. I did that very thing with some of my things and Mom and Dad's things. The pictures can stay on the computer, or be printed for the scrapbook. That's what the items are about, I think, in many cases. Wanting to hold a memory or wanting a certain feeling. Even the idea of collecting something because it may appreciate and be an investment, is about wanting the feeling that we will be safe and secure ... at the bottom of it all.

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think that many of our collecting habits are ingrained into us as children....for example my parents always used to play records on the radiogram that they had.
    While we had a TV (black an white), it didn't see much use, and i recall that there would be records playing constantly. From this i always loved records, and all varieties of recorded music formats that (and went), over the decades. So, naturally enough i collected as many as i could at the first opportunity....namely because they take up some of my earliest memories, and from here i assume that my life would be an empty experience without them.

I dare say that the same will apply to those who collect stamp Banknotes etc, etc.

I've owned 6 or 7 copies of the same record ...but....there comes a time when you wake up one day and realise that all of these posessions are ultimately weighing you down....if you like they posess you and not you posess them.
    All it takes is one event sometimes for you to downsize and in my case is was the death of my father, i realised that i was the end of the line and having no next of kin understood that these things were not going to save me.

Its been quite nice to sell my excess items and turn them into cash.

I like the idea of collecting but never actually do. I have small collections of many different things, but none could really be classed as a "collection".

Forum Newbie
    All-About geolab
    View geolab's Listings
    Forum Posts

Collecting is really good if you are a seller. People collect things like military badges or anything Charles Horner, I know them as 'anoraks', gullible and ripe for paying extortionate fees for old toot. They are the people that pay over the odds for the crap at the bottom of the box of decent stuff you just bought from an auction :-)

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm an serial Non Collector.....maybe because i've been surrounded by ardent collectors all my life!

Just as well my Mum is away with the pixies for most of the time......her beloved Beatrix Potter stuff & Royal Stuart Crystal is on my hit list to "get rid of".

I'm the one everyone else's collections have ended up with......and that's a fate worse than death!

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Quote Originally Posted by Vonz View Post
    I'm an serial Non Collector.....maybe because i've been surrounded by ardent collectors all my life!

Just as well my Mum is away with the pixies for most of the time......her beloved Beatrix Potter stuff & Royal Stuart Crystal is on my hit list to "get rid of".

I'm the one everyone else's collections have ended up with......and that's a fate worse than death!
    As long as you can keep the proceeds - not too bad.

My in laws were serial horders. When FIL passed away, it took us a year (yes nothing wrong with your eyesight!) to remove the "rubbish" from the house prior to being able to put it on the market for sale. Most of the stuff was kept for sentimental value, having belonged/obtained by a previous family member.

Between SIL & family and OH & myself, we agreed to choose one item each, that we wanted to keep for whatever sentimental reason + any worthwhile practical items of furniture. The rest was/still is being sold off or was given to a local auction house as part of a house clearance.

OH collects coins and I collect postcards - both are as a direct result of his parents. I strongly suspect that our kids, when the day comes, will simply bin and/or put our stuff up for auction, because they seem completely bored when we mention either collection to them. Yet it is part of our lives. One person's treasure is another person's junk or should that be the other way round?

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vonz View Post

Coming from a long line of hoarders - I mean collectors - I still have boxes and boxes of my mother's and grandmother's stuff to sort, photograph and list - but I am getting there.

I go through sessions of not throwing any stuff out and then again, at times, I can be ruthless.

I have boxes of books that I may never read again, no shelves to put them on, but I'm keeping them "just in case". Some are registered with Bookcrossing.com, so need to be 'released'; others are already listed on here; others were my mother's ................

Considering we've moved 4 times in the last 7 years and mega-downsized each time via Freecycle and the local Charity shops, where does it all come from ? !

I'm sure you've realised it by now,
    Collecting is a disease.

O.P.D
    Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.

What to do with yer stuff:
    Start a museum.
    If funding is a problem,...
    Photograph everything, and start an online museum.
    Add a forum, gather other enthusests of the same stuff.
    Pool photos of your collections, and it could become a very extensive and authoritative museum.

(ahem) I started an Underground Comix wiki, with my collection as the seed.
    http://wiki.comix.gr/wiki/
    (hurumph... It appears the current host has let it die.) :-(

Thread Information