Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the point of collecting

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default what is the point of collecting

over the years I have collected so much stuff that my house (and sheds) are bursting at the seams. Lots of things, like my Beanie babies have no value but I have hundreds of them and they take up valuable space.
    When I moved house I got rid of over 1000 books but still have another 1000. I have boxes of books in the shed still unpacked. Cd's, dvd's can't even give them away.
    As I near retirement age I wonder what will happen to it all when I die. I would imagine most of it will be binned.
    When I start a new hobby I collect all the bits and pieces to do it - so many that I will need 3 lifetimes to use it all up and none of this includes what are normally regarded as collectables. Stamps, postcards, vases, pottery, treen, myth & magic figurines, coins - you name it ive got it.
    What do others do with all their stuff when they start thinking of their mortality?
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Default Re: what is the point of collecting

I think I will not be too bothered what happens to my stuff when I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

The reason I collect things (MBW calls it hoarding!) is because I hate throwing anything away & someone will find it useful one day.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    I think I will not be too bothered what happens to my stuff when I shuffle off this mortal coil.
    Ditto this.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

In A Butterfly House, Essex, United Kingdom
    View emmily121's Feedback (+310)
    All-About emmily121
    View emmily121's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    The reason I collect things (MBW calls it hoarding!) is because I hate throwing anything away & someone will find it useful one day.
    That does sound more like hoarding than collecting Blue

Collecting is something you do because you enjoy it, regardless of it monetary value. It's the sense of achievement of getting that one missing one from the set (where there are sets in collecting). For instance, I recently bid on and won over 20 pin badges (won for £8 including P&P though I'd bid more) because there was one pin badge that I didn't have that made up a set of 14.

As well as my collection of over 1000 (I've lost count) pin badges I also have over 40 Nature Babies soft toys, mostly dogs.

In the past I have collected Wade Whimsies, twice, as a teenager and as an adult. I've also collected key rings, egg cups, thimbles and shopping trolley tokens. They're all gone now.

I've told my husband if I die first to donate all my good stuff to the pdsa for their charity shops.

Honest, reliable seller looking for honest, reliable buyers.

Emmily's Pin Badges
    New and used pin badges

NAWT Charity Store
    Take a minute to take a look

End of the Rainbow
    Will you find treasure at the end of the rainbow.
    Cuddly puppies and kittens now available.

YDC Charity Auctions

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

The winner is determined by the player who dies with the most toys
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1947)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    over the years I have collected so much stuff that my house (and sheds) are bursting at the seams. Lots of things, like my Beanie babies have no value but I have hundreds of them and they take up valuable space.
    When I moved house I got rid of over 1000 books but still have another 1000. I have boxes of books in the shed still unpacked. Cd's, dvd's can't even give them away.
    As I near retirement age I wonder what will happen to it all when I die. I would imagine most of it will be binned.
    When I start a new hobby I collect all the bits and pieces to do it - so many that I will need 3 lifetimes to use it all up and none of this includes what are normally regarded as collectables. Stamps, postcards, vases, pottery, treen, myth & magic figurines, coins - you name it ive got it.
    What do others do with all their stuff when they start thinking of their mortality?
    Start selling the excess on eBid, enjoy looking through the items you want to keep, when the mood takes you, clear a box or two by either giving to the local charity shop, local school, or giving it to a fellow collector. That way you will know the items have gone to someone who will appreciate them.

I'm like bluebedoin - someone wants my stuff, just as I wanted their stuff....

Unfortunately the rest of my family does not want my stuff.....

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

I started selling my collections etc years ago just keeping certain items, in the past ive sent boxed lots of items to my local auction house, and
    I havent missed any of it.
    I discussed this with my mother several years ago she had various collections such as pot cats, ladies fans, souvenir spoons etc non of which i want., so she decided to sell them all and spent the cash on clothes and a holiday.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think there are many 'points' to collecting. For some people, it may be the thrill of the chase....seeking and finding the elusive item you need to finish your collection. If you collect many things, then hide them away, maybe this is it.

For some people, it may be the desire to be surrounded by things that they find beautiful, or that make them happy. If you like to display your collection, maybe this is it.
    For some people, it may be a long term goal of amassing a set of items that will have more value, and they see it as a financial investment for the future.
    Maybe there are as many reasons as there are people. Keeps you busy, fills up time, gives you a purpose, gives you interactions with others, etc ad inf.
    What do YOU think, Penni?
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think I am just a hoarder. I have 2 cabinets full of beanies and myth & magica dotted around the bookcases and the rest are boxed up. I have tried to sell them in the past but no-one wants to buy them now for anything more than pennies. I do hate the clutter. In the big house it didnt look cluttered but here it always looks untidy. My problem is parting with things. Each has a story that is part of *my* story and and remember them all. It took getting a support worker to come and help when I had to get rid of stuff to move. Maybe I should just not care what happens to it when I'm gone.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Thread Information