My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Counter offer time limits

Question Counter offer time limits

Is it possible to add an option to allow sellers to change the time period for a buyer to accept a counter offer rather than it being set at a fixed time of 48 hours.
    Suggested time limits would be 12, 24, 48, 72 and 96 hours.

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Counter offer time limits

First request for this, what would the pro's and cons be.

We are all ears as usual.

G
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

My immediate thoughts are that 48hrs may not be long enough as it may fall on a weekend, public holiday etc and the buyer may not be around to accept/refuse a seller's offer. Therefore I think it would be more useful to allow for such events plus another 2 days (to cover all bases and situations) making it a total of 96 hours (4 days) - I'm not sure that a minimum of 12 hours would work especially if dealing with international buyers.

Just my 2 cents worth.

The reason for the 12 hours / 24 hours is to cover the possibility of having more than 1 offer at the same time from different bidders.

As I understand things with the make an offer, if I counter offer, I am agreeing (legally) to sell for amount xyz to buyer abc.

So if I am not around when the multiple buyers make an offer and I need to counter the offer, sending a counter offer to the first buyer with the time at 12 / 24 hours would then allow me to just wait that period before sending to the 2nd buyer.
    I also think that in most cases 24 hours is adequate for a buyer to accept / decline a counter offer.

Regards longer timescales is more to do with as Jewels says, holidays, weekends etc or for those sellers who simply want to allow more than 48 hours to have on the counter offer before it auto expires.

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    My immediate thoughts are that 48hrs may not be long enough as it may fall on a weekend, public holiday etc and the buyer may not be around to accept/refuse a seller's offer. Therefore I think it would be more useful to allow for such events plus another 2 days (to cover all bases and situations) making it a total of 96 hours (4 days) - I'm not sure that a minimum of 12 hours would work especially if dealing with international buyers.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    No, don't extend the hours arbitrarily. Instead ask for an alternative that meets your true needs, e.g. 2 business days. So the options might be 24hours, 48 hours, 1 business day, 2 business days.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Name:  bump.gif
Views: 26
Size:  6.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    Is it possible to add an option to allow sellers to change the time period for a buyer to accept a counter offer rather than it being set at a fixed time of 48 hours.
    Suggested time limits would be 12, 24, 48, 72 and 96 hours.
    I know it's an old thread, but still relevant as someone made me an offer over the weekend and didn't realise until last night that my counter offer had run out.

N.B. - is it possible to amend a counter offer before it runs out, or to even send a 2nd one?

Also I'm not sure #4 by Raindropsies is right. I've never had multiple counter offers, but if I did I would assume that such offers are not a binding agreement to sell to each person, but only an offer to sell to the first past the post. An counter-offer isn't binding until a person accepts it, at which time the others are void, surely?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Needs to be longer so that all my multi buyers have a chance to either purchase an item (therefore cancelling out an offer) or make a counter offer themselves.
    This scenario seems to be happening a lot!

Thread Information