eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Handbags Are Allowed To Be Sold On Ebid??

Default Re: Which Handbags Are Allowed To Be Sold On Ebid??

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    Many of the companies do not wholesale - if you bought it from a shop which was not run by the maker or in-store concession bearing the maker's name, then it is almost certainly a fake.
    Thanks for your input on this subject but I have to disagree with you are saying because some people buy the designer items, some people might receive designer items as gifts, some people leave whole houses of items including high quality clothing and other items. Sometimes, someone's wealthy relative dies and leave a lot of quality items behind and their siblings or other family members mainly want the cash and bank account information and they have no use for much of anything else left behind. These family members might donate these items to thrift stores or whom ever will come along and take the items off of their hands. So, there is several ways to acquire designer items besides buying them from the original retailer, the problem is proving that these items are real or fake. I have found out, the bottom line is that you must have a store receipt for that item...No, certificates or photos just a receipt showing that the item was purchased from one of their stores.

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    Agree 110%. The phrase 'more money than sense' comes to mind here...

It is confusing for sellers, no doubt about it. I don't know much about purses, but in the jewelry realm there apparently is a proliferation of fake Tiffany items for sale online, as I've read about this in a few jewelry forums. As I don't tend to buy newer/trendy stuff it doesn't affect me, but it does seem, as Squern says, that if companies wanted to do something about it they could. I'm guessing he's right, that they like the free advertising.

OP, good luck getting more answers. I'm not sure what the answer is myself, maybe asking support: support@ebid.net about different brand names before listing items would be the way to go; admittedly it's a bit of a PITA, but it might save having listings pulled.
    I am starting to really get the picture...the bottom line is more money for the company is the real issue and they handle this the way that they want to, the crazy part is that some designer items are okay to sell and some are not...no rhyme, no reason and it seems like a dictatorship to me, the fact you can't sell certain designer items that you have acquired through gifts, purchases or just ran into a great high-end estate sale for a very reasonable price.

I did contact Ebid shortly after the Gucci purse that I listed was removed. I had asked Ebid whether or not they could let me know which designer items I could sold here and this is what they said...

"Please do not list Items that infringe on another party's copyright, patent, license, trademark or other proprietary right(not replicas/fakes).

Unless you are able to confirm authenticity, please do not post the items on eBid."

???...

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    At my wholesaler I can get Beats by Dr Dre headphones. As a wholesaler they are obviously for resale and will be supplied to them by Dr. Dre. So how could they justify selling to a wholesaler then prevent me from selling them?
    You got me here! I have been reading these posts and I have come to the conclusion that the companies do what they want to do. No, it does not make sense to me that you are allowed to buy the items that you mentioned wholesale but you can't sell them??? If you get a logical answer to your question, please let me know, thanks!!

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MillerCyberMall View Post
    I am starting to really get the picture...the bottom line is more money for the company is the real issue and they handle this the way that they want to, the crazy part is that some designer items are okay to sell and some are not...no rhyme, no reason and it seems like a dictatorship to me, the fact you can't sell certain designer items that you have acquired through gifts, purchases or just ran into a great high-end estate sale for a very reasonable price.

I did contact Ebid shortly after the Gucci purse that I listed was removed. I had asked Ebid whether or not they could let me know which designer items I could sold here and this is what they said...

"Please do not list Items that infringe on another party's copyright, patent, license, trademark or other proprietary right(not replicas/fakes).

Unless you are able to confirm authenticity, please do not post the items on eBid."

???...
    That's too bad, I thought maybe eBid would let you know which brands were OK to list and which weren't. It sounds like they're as confused by the whole thing as we are.

Dictatorship, yep, right on the money. Makes me kind of glad I don't deal in trendy stuff, (not that there's anything wrong with it, but I certainly don't need the headache which it sounds like this is).

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Right... I'll rephrase my comment - if you bought it NEW from a shop which was not run by the maker or in-store concession bearing the maker's name, then it is almost certainly a fake.

Of course I didn't mean that you can't buy them second hand! What sort of idiot do you take me for?
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

So the reply from eBid was:

So basically if you can confirm authenticity you are OK. There could be a few ways of doing that. Obviously a receipt from a store would help, but they could be forged. I also saw a TV programme about posh pawn shops. On that show a woman had been given an expensive handbag several years earlier by a boyfriend, no receipt or proof it was genuine. She took it to the pawn shop and to authenticate the bag they took it to the designers store where they confirmed it was genuine and worth £25,000! So that could be a way of confirming, I know that jewellers will confirm watches etc, probably for a small fee.

One problem is that even if you have proof the listing could still be pulled. So do we have to contact eBid every time we get expensive designer goods in order to confirm we can list them? If we list them will they just pull them or check through the description to see if proof of authenticity is available? We all know that there are plenty of fakes, I read an article where they bought 25 'designer' handbags on eBay and had them checked, 24 were fake 1 genuine, but I would bet that if the same process was repeated today a similar result would be obtained. But does eBay do anything? do the brands stop them? It seems like the smaller sites cannot take the risk that eBay can so take the easier way out. In a way it does help eBid, if buyers could have the trust that the items are what they say they are then they will return, but we also need to be able to list items that are genuine, so maybe a little clarity on the rules.

Maybe eBid could allow listings if they are described within certain criteria. So where it comes from a source where they are guaranteed genuine, like my Dr dre headphones and where that proof can be supplied to eBid or the customer (receipt) then those listings could state so in the description. If they are believed to be genuine then that could be stated along with details such as where or how it was acquired to suport the belief in authenticity. That way the potential buyer would be aware that there is no definite proof. Obviously if an item is known to be a fake it cannot be sold.

As for the Dr Dre headphones, they are now listed. Had no problems (yet) but alas no sales. If eBid want proof of authenticity it can be provided.

[QUOTE=kreativebargains;1618689]So the reply from eBid was:

So basically if you can confirm authenticity you are OK. There could be a few ways of doing that. Obviously a receipt from a store would help, but they could be forged. I also saw a TV programme about posh pawn shops. On that show a woman had been given an expensive handbag several years earlier by a boyfriend, no receipt or proof it was genuine. She took it to the pawn shop and to authenticate the bag they took it to the designers store where they confirmed it was genuine and worth £25,000! So that could be a way of confirming, I know that jewellers will confirm watches etc, probably for a small fee.

As far as television program that you are mentioning, I would like to know how did she get the authenticity of the purse from the designer store?? I talked to a sales person from Louis Vuitton and she told me not to bother to come into the store with a purse that needed authenticity without a sales receipt, she did say that if I could bring in the name and address of the person that originally purchase the handbag from Louis Vuitton, they could verify the bag this way also. Otherwise there is no other way to get authenticity of the handbag. She also told me that they receive at least a couple of hundreds of calls per day with people wanting to come in to the store for authenticity of their handbag. She also said that with the use of computers and modern technology, there is no way for their store, (Louis Vuitton) to know if it is authentic or not just by looking at the handbag or the markings on the handbag.

It seems like the smaller sites cannot take the risk that eBay can so take the easier way out. In a way it does help eBid, if buyers could have the trust that the items are what they say they are then they will return, but we also need to be able to list items that are genuine, so maybe a little clarity on the rules.

...Yes, maybe more clarity on the listing rules. What is wrong with letting a potential buyer know that you don't have proof of authenticity and that potential buyer is taking a chance on the authenticity of the purse? Just like you said, if you buy a purse in a place other than the original designer store, the sales receipt could be fake and you won't really know until you contact the designer store of which the handbag came from to know for sure. Also, some people are willing to buy a handbag if it looks like a designer purse, especially if they have designer markings on them but they DO expect to pay a lower price than a purse that has authenticity.

Maybe eBid could allow listings if they are described within certain criteria. So where it comes from a source where they are guaranteed genuine, like my Dr dre headphones and where that proof can be supplied to eBid or the customer (receipt) then those listings could state so in the description. If they are believed to be genuine then that could be stated along with details such as where or how it was acquired to suport the belief in authenticity. That way the potential buyer would be aware that there is no definite proof. Obviously if an item is known to be a fake it cannot be sold.

Your ideas sound great to me. The one thing that I don't understand is, why would Ebid allow you to list the designer handbag and then remove it as opposed to only allowing sellers that are authorized to sell the purses be the only people that can list designer brands?? This would make things much more simple for everybody, at least I think so...

As for the Dr Dre headphones, they are now listed. Had no problems (yet) but alas no sales. If eBid want proof of authenticity it can be provided.

It appears to me that you should not have a problem selling the Dr. Dre headphones, but who am I??? Please let me know how this goes for you and I wish you the best of luck in selling them!! This post is very interesting for me!

MillerCyberMall.

On the TV programme they did not say why they would confirm authenticity. Could be that they have an arrangement or possibly they had supplied the boyfriends name or other details off camera. Might also be that the simple fact that the cameras were there made all the difference. It was interesting in that it was simply a visual inspection though. The lady doing the examination talked it through for the cameras and it was a case of, yes they made this bag in that colour, the quality of the materials is correct, the labels are correct and in the right place, but the clincher for her was the stitching used.

Like the idea of only letting authorised sellers list certain items. That could also be a great selling point for eBid and the sellers concerned. There are people who can get genuine high end designer goods and vetted sellers would give confidence to buyers if that was highlighted in some way, and maybe a specific board on Pinterest. I have a silk Calvin Klein coat that retailed at £1380 listed and I think that some potential buyers are wary of spending almost £300 on items like that when there is a risk of it being a poor quality fake, which this most definitely is not.

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    MillerCyberMall.

On the TV programme they did not say why they would confirm authenticity. Could be that they have an arrangement or possibly they had supplied the boyfriends name or other details off camera. Might also be that the simple fact that the cameras were there made all the difference. It was interesting in that it was simply a visual inspection though. The lady doing the examination talked it through for the cameras and it was a case of, yes they made this bag in that colour, the quality of the materials is correct, the labels are correct and in the right place, but the clincher for her was the stitching used.

Like the idea of only letting authorised sellers list certain items. That could also be a great selling point for eBid and the sellers concerned. There are people who can get genuine high end designer goods and vetted sellers would give confidence to buyers if that was highlighted in some way, and maybe a specific board on Pinterest. I have a silk Calvin Klein coat that retailed at £1380 listed and I think that some potential buyers are wary of spending almost £300 on items like that when there is a risk of it being a poor quality fake, which this most definitely is not.
    !!!...Yes, I think the cameras, and extra advertisement for that designer store meant everything! After doing my lengthy research about the designer purses, it just sounds like they were making "plugs" for each other. After talking to a couple of designer stores, just looking at the purse, smelling the purse and checking the color and stitching and whatever else analysis is really not enough. I am sure that it will never happen for us if we bought a purse into a designer store to have it examined by the that store, I am sure that they would want to see a receipt from us, oh the power of the people in power! They just do whatever they want to do.

I just looked at some of your items on sale here at Ebid and I see that you have very nice quality items, you seem to be like me, I love to sell nice quality items; how many people want to buy items with no brand name???

I also feel that the seller and buyer should make the decisions as to whether or not they feel that the item is to their satisfaction...This sounds simple enough for me but I am not a person in power. Thanks for your response!!
    Last edited by MillerCyberMall; 16th August 2014 at 09:19 PM.

I have found this to be a very interesting thread; sometimes exasperating and sometimes totally dumbfounding. To go back to the ebid quote:

Let's leave the world of handbags behind.

On the face of it it means also that you must not list a camera by Nikon, Canon or any of the big players. Of course this is not so; anybody who knows a camera from a bag of peanuts would know if he were handling a real Nikon or not and would not need a receipt to prove it. Or would he? When I was in retail and digital movie cameras started to become popular we had a spate of people coming in puzzled at the quality of the results they were getting from their camera. My routine question became: "Did you buy this on a market or the building site where you are currently working?" They had made the mistake of buying a name. We'd see the same camera several times in a week, with different names and different colours. The interesting thing was that they were buying them even if the name were spelled wrongly!

I accept that in the world of clothing I am ignorant. So when I buy clothing I do look at the label, for example; it usually says "St Michael"! The label is placed unobtrusively. I refuse to walk around like a sandwich board man! If somebody wants me to walk around with their logo on my T-shirt then I expect to be given the shirt and paid to wear it! Most of my friends know my attitude to this and once at a barbecue I was laughed at for having given in; I was wearing a "designer" (whatever that means) belt. It was over 30 minutes before one of the amused youngsters realised I was not doing any such thing as there was no such word as "Deisel"! I really rubbed that one in!

Finally, if we stray into the world of antiques and vintage (not to mention paintings) if the dealer is uncertain he will state that something is "of the school of" or "after the style of". Lamps "after the style of Tiffany" are frequently found for sale. So if enough handbags "after the style of..." are sold, the world will be full of items of which nobody is certain of the authenticity, not even the owner of the brand.

That might be the answer...if you cannot prove it with a receipt (which as we know may be forged) then sell as "after the style of...".

Thread Information