Thread: Whats the secert to This place

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Whats the secert to This place

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Well, you have been very busy here, good for you. Over a 4 month period you sold 24 books, with a bid on another. I consider that pretty good on eBid. I can understand your disappointment about not selling near as much here, as you did on eBay. But really, were you actually expecting to have comparable sales here? The two venues are so very different.

As far as expense, the Seller + Lifetime Membership is a real bargain. I see you are a Seller + Member. My recommendation to you is that if you are not a Lifetime Member, to consider becoming one. I do not know if eBid will still credit amounts already paid in monthly or other subscriptions, but it is worth asking.

I think you should certainly head for the Car-Boots once the weather warms up. They sound like alot of fun, or quite an adventure. Nothing wrong with having alternate streams of revenue. The Car-Boot could actually enable you to enhance your activities on eBid.

You must do what is best for yourself, based on your own plans. But it just seems to me you have done much to make a go of things here; would not like to see a go getter like you give up on eBid. Consider hanging in there. Best to you whatever you decide to do.
    I would say which = "my opinion" this is a major problem. Folks do in fact come over and expect the same or at least similar. When they realize they have expected incorrectly they decide to leave. Some come into the forums seeking advice but most do not. We even get threads here absolutely bashing the site claiming it's a rip off, scam and eBid just wants the initial fees.
    I started a thread a while ago and suggested eBid send out an email when someone joins detailing, ummm everything usefull which is constantly suggested here in the forums.

Should new users investigate what they are getting into? Certainly! Do all investigate? Absolutely not!

Do new users come here expecting an ebay duplicate without the fees? Certainly!

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Al, I totally agree with your opinion and comments. The new users (particularly from eBay) come with high expectations. This is not unusual, its quite normal to have hopes and expectations, particularly if coming out of a situation where expectations were crushed. Like for many eBay sellers.

The fact that these new users of eBid fail to investigate the site pros, cons, features, best strategies, etc before jumping in with both feet, is also not unusual. I have done such things on various occasions; the most recent slip up was just days ago. Fortunately I was able to get my money back, after stating "this is not for me". Because I was provided with a gracious ability to exit my fumble, I may decide to give it another go, once I take the time to learn the system.

If eBid were to email new users a list of suggestions upon joining, many still might not even look at them. I do think it would be a good idea, as some would consider the information.

I sell nothing !

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

I thought I'd have a look at this coin, but couldn't.
    The profile says you have 293 listings, but only 20 of them are visible in the UK.
    Whilst postage may be a problem with some items, I suggest that it would not be for a coin.

I sell well into the US with tools, and find postage costs reasonable, as do my buyers.

So maybe the answer is as previously suggested - nobody can see you.

Forum Diehard
    Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View cerealmunkee's Feedback (+1334)
    All-About cerealmunkee
    View cerealmunkee's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Can not say definitively. However, beginning to speculate if the proverbial........."it is not what you know, but who you know" may play a part in sales or low to no sales.

So in other words, it may not be what you list, what you charge, what keywords you use, what you do, etc. It may be more of a case of who you know, are you in the "in"; are you "in the visible"; are you "in the loop"; etc.
    if no sales come your way, then in all fairness you would question what the magic ingredient is, as far as knowing the right people is concerned then are you suggesting that this site operates with masonic tendencies?.....again, if no sales are the case then this is understandable.
    But....i might be able to give you a tiny amount of help in answering your thoughts.

Here we go....a few weeks ago i sold a rather nice item on here, that until i made the sale hadn't realised that there was another seller offering the same at a similar price, i wondered why my listing had been successful and theirs hadn't?...well, ....i'll tell you what i found, a dodgy and ill defined photo with copious amounts of flash covering the items finer details, not the best use of keywords, a scant description, i'm uncertain as to whether this sellers listing appears on Google shopping as i didn't examine it any further as i'd already answered my own question well enough by this point....incidentally, the buyer was newly registered only a minute or two prior to making their purchase, which tells me that they were led to Ebid via Google.

So...."knowing the right people".....this would put me in the excluded category as many of the threads i join in, usually are deleted, and i'm convinced that much o my input can be unwelcome. so in summary i would say that what you need to know are decent keywords, enough about the item you're selling to give a decent and accurate appraisal of its many merits, and condition, an understanding of the requirements of Googles search engine, reasonable shipping costs, a camera with a decent lens used in satisfactory lighting conditions.
    So "visible" is in our own hands and not that of a higher power. Hope there's some useful stuff there.

Still no sales!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebideclectics View Post
    Still no sales!
    Unfortunately that is hardly surprising - the pricing strategy is as puzzling as ever.

You have The Judds Heartland CD - the cost is $24.99 + shipping.

Looking around the net these are the prices that cd has achieved in the last 2 months:

0.99 cents
    0.99 cents
    0.99 cents
    10.99 (free shipping)
    0.01 cents (seriously)
    1.99 cents
    The above is the sold prices and there are many more that didn't sell so it is hardly a popular product.

As a basic rule most people would wipe off the highest and lowest price and then find a happy medium price to be competitive.

I dare say that there maybe somebody out there who will pay $24.99 + $4.99 shipping, you just need to wait for them to be released, which could take a long time with all those straps and buckles.

The time to do research and get the pricing right is when you list the products.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squern View Post
    I thought I'd have a look at this coin, but couldn't.
    The profile says you have 293 listings, but only 20 of them are visible in the UK.
    Whilst postage may be a problem with some items, I suggest that it would not be for a coin.

I sell well into the US with tools, and find postage costs reasonable, as do my buyers.

So maybe the answer is as previously suggested - nobody can see you.

I used to sell coins internationally, but always shipped them via registered mail, as required in various countries. Registered mail goes for about $12, and that is in addition to regular postage. Shipping coins internationally is costly if the regulations are adhered to. That is not the reason I stopped shipping coins internationally. I have sold coins internationally, and charged for registered mail without an issue.

There are many nations that restrict the sale of coins internationally; or have tight regulations. I have noticed that some sellers ship to all nations, and charge very low s/h. They may ship via first class international, non-registered. They would avoid the customs process in shipping this way. It would become problematic for them and their customers, if customs were to intercept the shipment. I prefer to avoid the stress; it is just not worth it.

That is not the reason I stopped shipping coins internationally. It was due to changes in the customs form. I use customs forms for the shipment of all coins and precious metals internationally. Do not want to use the new form, as still evaluating the form for the new requirements.

As for the overall cost of international shipping; I find it quite expensive. However, if buyer wants item they will pay the s/h cost.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cerealmunkee;1587272[B
    ]if no sales come your way[/B], then in all fairness you would question what the magic ingredient is, as far as knowing the right people is concerned then are you suggesting that this site operates with masonic tendencies?.....again, if no sales are the case then this is understandable.
    But....i might be able to give you a tiny amount of help in answering your thoughts.

Here we go....a few weeks ago i sold a rather nice item on here, that until i made the sale hadn't realised that there was another seller offering the same at a similar price, i wondered why my listing had been successful and theirs hadn't?...well, ....i'll tell you what i found, a dodgy and ill defined photo with copious amounts of flash covering the items finer details, not the best use of keywords, a scant description, i'm uncertain as to whether this sellers listing appears on Google shopping as i didn't examine it any further as i'd already answered my own question well enough by this point....incidentally, the buyer was newly registered only a minute or two prior to making their purchase, which tells me that they were led to Ebid via Google.

So...."knowing the right people".....this would put me in the excluded category as many of the threads i join in, usually are deleted, and i'm convinced that much o my input can be unwelcome. so in summary i would say that what you need to know are decent keywords, enough about the item you're selling to give a decent and accurate appraisal of its many merits, and condition, an understanding of the requirements of Googles search engine, reasonable shipping costs, a camera with a decent lens used in satisfactory lighting conditions.
    So "visible" is in our own hands and not that of a higher power. Hope there's some useful stuff there.
    ​No, it is not.

There has been a slight suggestion that some sellers are looked on more favourably than others. This is not the case. What a successful seller does get is additional exposure due to their success. My listings feature regularly in the 'Popular Listings' which gets additional views and sales, and helps get them back to being popular. In addition I occasionally appear on the 'Hot Sellers' list, again it can lead to views and sales. But those sales are a bonus, over 90% of my sales are to new buyers. So the bulk of my buyers find my items in a search, like the item and price, take a look and buy. So it is mostly down to what has been said in the forums hundreds (or possibly thousands) of times, that is keywords, price, description.

On the subject of price we spend £20-£50 a month online and would happily spend it all on eBid. As it is only a fraction of that is spent here. While I would rather support the site I will not pay extra to do so. A high proportion of those sales therefore go direct to sellers sites or Amazon, so probably over £300 in sales from me being missed due to price. That is almost certainly true for other users of the site and people browsing for items. When I but from Amazon the seller is paying around 15% in fees compared to 2% on eBid so if they sell on both they can easily reduce by 5-10% and take my money off me and still make more money. As Dean, myself and others have pointed out on numerous occasions many sellers still do not understand that concept.

Thread Information