Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the secert to This place

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Whats the secert to This place

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    There's no secret OP. Internet selling has changed. We all have to work harder to make our listings sell no matter what site we are on with exception to eBay. eBid has low fees, fewer buyers and fewer sales depending on what you are selling. eBay have many buyers and sellers because everyone has known about eBay for nearly 20 years.

Yes, eBay does have the upper hand but they were here first and got ALL internet buyers interested in the online business of buying and/or selling and people are scared of change from something they know to something they are unsure of (a little like me. I don't like social networks and I don't think I ever will). Since then, times have changed and, IMO, unless you are into social networks the 'old' way of selling has gone.

Also IMO, social networks will die eventually and the old way of selling/buying will return. How long this will take, if ever, is indeterminable.

A lot has happened in the 3 years between these two auction sites.

I refuse to give up with eBid but I think my time selling online is very limited as I'm not into social networks.

Very insightful comments concerning the factor of social networks. This factor may position high among other factors already considered. Although its positioning may be high, other factors should remain in the overall equation. The full picture, the entire issue of slow to no sales for most sellers on eBid, is in need of full presentation.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Very insightful comments concerning the factor of social networks. This factor may position high among other factors already considered. Although its positioning may be high, other factors should remain in the overall equation. The full picture, the entire issue of slow to no sales for most sellers on eBid, is in need of full presentation.
    It's my opinion burgyeb, so please feel free to elaborate on the 'secret to this place'.

Edit - my bedtime
    Last edited by Gill; 1st February 2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: 12.30am!
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    It's my opinion burgyeb, so please feel free to elaborate on the 'secret to this place'.

Edit - my bedtime
    Agree with you and Al, that there is no secret to this place.

As far as the various factors that are impacting one's ability to sell on eBid..............oh well..........

My off-line work time (projects).......after my supper.

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11854)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

I presume you mean secret, original poster?

None special in my opinion; but if it was secret, then no would tell you 'cos then it wouldn't be secret then, would it!

Joking aside: I am getting to know the best methods that suit me on here and then it is a matter of self-generating sales/attention to the site and to me in particular!

No real use making comparisons with the other sites - they operate and perform much differently and so attitude/approach differs too.

Remember why you came on here -use all the tools and advice that everyone gives out so willingly...

Social networking is not my cup of tea either, but I can see it's merits and I'm trying to use them - I might even understand them one day!

Be Lucky!

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Since it has been mentioned how long ebay has been around I believe it should be mentioned eBid has been around just as long. Yeah, yeah, yeah but not in the US.
    I do agree online selling isn't what it used to be and quite possibly may never be the same.
    With all the hell ebay has put sellers through I have to believe it should not have been that difficult for an auction site to pick up where ebay left off so many years ago. Ebay has ticked off so many sellers but most go back or just quit.
    Time after time, year after year ebay gives competition the opportunity to recreate it's success yet no site has taken advantage.
    Would I and possibly millions of other sellers like to see bidding wars again? I think so. But for that an auction site needs it's own buyer base not buyers we can lure in from Google.
    Even the claimed successful sellers here openly admit their sales come from Google searches and their listings are buy it now or MAO.
    Auction site? Absolutely not! As stated eBid is a platform on which to list, selling is up to the seller via Keyword searches away from the site.
    Remember the old $.99 no reserve auctions where your item would get bid to it's true value or possibly more because the auction excitement was there? I remember it well. Ebay screwed that up but no site picked up on the ability to take that over.
    Last edited by adruml; 1st February 2014 at 01:11 AM.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Speaking only for myself, my reference to........."the secret of this place" relates to OP's opening question.

I also am not into social networking, but am always open to learning new skill sets. Always balance the application of a skill set, with my personal values and beliefs. Would be open to utilizing some aspects of social networking, but not all. Read an interesting article yesterday, advising cautious/careful involvement with social networking if you value your career. Can not think of many, who would place online sales above their chosen profession or career, unless online sales is their full time profession. It is not mine's.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    Since it has been mentioned how long ebay has been around I believe it should be mentioned eBid has been around just as long. Yeah, yeah, yeah but not in the US.
    I do agree online selling isn't what it used to be and quite possibly may never be the same.
    With all the hell ebay has put sellers through I have to believe it should not have been that difficult for an auction site to pick up where ebay left off so many years ago. Ebay has ticked off so many sellers but most go back or just quit.
    Time after time, year after year ebay gives competition the opportunity to recreate it's success yet no site has taken advantage.
    Would I and possibly millions of other sellers like to see bidding wars again? I think so. But for that an auction site needs it's own buyer base not buyers we can lure in from Google.
    Even the claimed successful sellers here openly admit their sales come from Google searches and their listings are buy it now or MAO.
    Auction site? Absolutely not! As stated eBid is a platform on which to list, selling is up to the seller via Keyword searches away from the site.
    Remember the old $.99 no reserve auctions where your item would get bid to it's true value or possibly more because the auction excitement was there? I remember it well. Ebay screwed that up but no site picked up on the ability to take that over.

Yes, just as long.

I remember those days very well also; and miss them terribly. What I find puzzling is that many eBay users have actually come to eBid; but even when an opportunity presents itself to bid on auctions @ $0.99 start bid, no reserve, and free s/h here, there are often no takers.

Why? How can this be? That is why I believe that there are other factors that must be involved here. No one single factor or answer could possibly address the issue of slow to no sales on eBid for most sellers here.

I think one of the strong points for customers buying more at eBay is the Customer Protection they offer. eBid would have to reach deep into their pockets to bankroll a protection program that a seller would be protected under. Just how many buyers would want to be protected? We know that it would be 99.9 percent of them. So unless there is a way to guarantee the buyer a safe transaction, sales could be slower. PayPal has that protection for members only, so unless you're registered with them you won't qualify. But you can't force a buyer to join PP.

Forum Lurker
    West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Spot50's Feedback (+152)
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Unhappy Re: Whats the secert to This place

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Yes, just as long.

I remember those days very well also; and miss them terribly. What I find puzzling is that many eBay users have actually come to eBid; but even when an opportunity presents itself to bid on auctions @ $0.99 start bid, no reserve, and free s/h here, there are often no takers.

Why? How can this be? That is why I believe that there are other factors that must be involved here. No one single factor or answer could possibly address the issue of slow to no sales on eBid for most sellers here.
    I really think one major factor on eBid is the pricing, when you get a buyer on here for the first time and the prices offered are so much dearer that the same item on ebay, of course they'll hit the exit button.

As for any 'Secret'. when I first came to this site, last Sept after the other place finally killed it's attraction to hobby sellers by imposing charges on p & p, I entered my first 300 listings in the same manner that I used to list over there. CAPITAL LETTERS and punctuation. The advice on these boards was lowercase and remove all punctuation (as it interfered with Google search) and minimum start price of £1.00 compared to the 99p I was used to. So I edited the lot. I was then told to enter ISBN numbers it the listing titles - I did this for 20 - 30 items - before being told by quite a few this was a waste of time - so I went back and removed.
    I was also told this site needs lots and lots of listings to make it more attractive to new bidders - I took this to heart and have been adding daily to the point where I'm now over 2000 items listed.
    I was using the free listing option and was advised this was a waste of time so, once again I took the advice and opened a Seller Account (just the quarterly option as I didn't feel I could justify £50 on the first month's trading experience on here) this allowed my pictures to be seen without having to enter the item and also for it to travel to the top of the page in due course. - Still no improvement in sales (none!).
    After seeking further advice it was suggested I open a Store (£1.99) which I've done and am ploughing my way thru' the listings to transfer, I've just under 400 listings yet to amend.

My sales over the 4 month period - 24 books to 4 or 5 buyers (another 1 has a bid on it but it's an item that hasn't even been transfered yet!!)

I used to sell 5 - 10 books a week on a maximum 300 listings per month so you can appreciate my enthusiasm is waning a little just now and I will be 'Car-Booting' as soon as this damn weather allows.

I will continue to add books to my 'store' but at the moment Ebid is a very time-consuming, not-too-rewarding, expensive option that I will be reviewing in 3 months. I really want this to work I want the site to make Ebay sit up and take notice and realise they can't treat their sellers the way they do, and Ebid to give us a REAL alternative both as sellers and, for that matter, as buyers. For my part I'm doing all I can and following the advice of more experienced Ebid sellers - but it's just not working for me at the moment!
    Last edited by Spot50; 1st February 2014 at 11:01 AM.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spot50 View Post
    I really think one major factor on eBid is the pricing, when you get a buyer on here for the first time and the prices offered are so much dearer that the same item on ebay, of course they'll hit the exit button.

As for any 'Secret'. when I first came to this site, last Sept after the other place finally killed it's attraction to hobby sellers by imposing charges on p & p, I entered my first 300 listings in the same manner that I used to list over there. CAPITAL LETTERS and punctuation. The advice on these boards was lowercase and remove all punctuation (as it interfered with Google search) and minimum start price of £1.00 compared to the 99p I was used to. So I edited the lot. I was then told to enter ISBN numbers it the listing titles - I did this for 20 - 30 items - before being told by quite a few this was a waste of time - so I went back and removed.
    I was also told this site needs lots and lots of listings to make it more attractive to new bidders - I took this to heart and have been adding daily to the point where I'm now over 2000 items listed.
    I was using the free listing option and was advised this was a waste of time so, once again I took the advice and opened a Seller Account (just the quarterly option as I didn't feel I could justify £50 on the first month's trading experience on here) this allowed my pictures to be seen without having to enter the item and also for it to travel to the top of the page in due course. - Still no improvement in sales (none!).
    After seeking further advice it was suggested I open a Store (£1.99) which I've done and am ploughing my way thru' the listings to transfer, I've just under 400 listings yet to amend.

My sales over the 4 month period - 24 books to 4 or 5 buyers (another 1 has a bid on it but it's an item that hasn't even been transfered yet!!)

I used to sell 5 - 10 books a week on a maximum 300 listings per month so you can appreciate my enthusiasm is waning a little just now and I will be 'Car-Booting' as soon as this damn weather allows.

I will continue to add books to my 'store' but at the moment Ebid is a very time-consuming, not-too-rewarding, expensive option that I will be reviewing in 3 months. I really want this to work I want the site to make Ebay sit up and take notice and realise they can't treat their sellers the way they do, and Ebid to give us a REAL alternative both as sellers and, for that matter, as buyers. For my part I'm doing all I can and following the advice of more experienced Ebid sellers - but it's just not working for me at the moment!
    Well, you have been very busy here, good for you. Over a 4 month period you sold 24 books, with a bid on another. I consider that pretty good on eBid. I can understand your disappointment about not selling near as much here, as you did on eBay. But really, were you actually expecting to have comparable sales here? The two venues are so very different.

As far as expense, the Seller + Lifetime Membership is a real bargain. I see you are a Seller + Member. My recommendation to you is that if you are not a Lifetime Member, to consider becoming one. I do not know if eBid will still credit amounts already paid in monthly or other subscriptions, but it is worth asking.

I think you should certainly head for the Car-Boots once the weather warms up. They sound like alot of fun, or quite an adventure. Nothing wrong with having alternate streams of revenue. The Car-Boot could actually enable you to enhance your activities on eBid.

You must do what is best for yourself, based on your own plans. But it just seems to me you have done much to make a go of things here; would not like to see a go getter like you give up on eBid. Consider hanging in there. Best to you whatever you decide to do.

Thread Information