My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: New to Ebid but not to online selling

Default New to Ebid but not to online selling

Hello everyone. I recently am in the position that I have to unload a 100+ books, mostly graphic novels and art books but others also like Clive Barker, Steven King etc.... I started out on ebay when they were new and then moved to Ruby Lane where I had a shop for several years. I retired from selling 6 years back except an occasional sell. So anyway.

I see there are new things to think about when selling books. The owner of these books was very careful with his books, most are in like new or new condition. So my questions. I see I have to list the ISBN number. Would scanning that bar work for peoples smart phones? I don't own one of those fancy phones so don't know if that would work or not. It is did it would be a lot easier just putting a picture up of the bar scan.

Next. What is the perfect packing method. I just got a book on line the other day and it arrived in a bubble back envelope in great condition. Is this how most send their books? I have some large art table books though that would need to be boxed.

I am not in a real hurry to rid myself of the books so have time to let them sit if I have to. How do you all figure out pricing? I really don't feel like opening a shop and paying the fee until I see if I get any nibbles.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Re: New to Ebid but not to online selling

When I sell books I usually wrap in bubble wrap or put into a used padded envelope then put into a suitable sized box or make a box to suit.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use boxes and or padded envelopes depending on the size of the book. When calculating shipping, be careful of the Media Mail prices, depending on total weight, it is sometimes cheaper to send First Class Mail. Also, USPS do not do the Delivery Confirmation labels any more, you need to ask them for confirmation and they will add the price into the shipping price along with a confirmation number on your receipt which you need to keep.

I will be selling a lot of graphic novels. As such there tends to be nudity and comic violence. Many are intended for adults. Do I mention that and make any type of attempt to screen potential buyers? Many are fantasy art books which also have adult themes. I noticed on other sites they don't have listed under adult content but want to make sure before I list them here there is no policy I am breaking.

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

It might be best to list them under Adult category.

Well I have been looking around, here and on other selling site and none of my books are listed under adult, some mention in the listing mature readers and those particular books, done by heavy metal would be better in adult but the rest are listed under fantasy, science fiction art, and graphic cartoon/novel. I am afraid if I list them all under adult I won't get any hits or sells. Most are art books, the nudity is in an art form.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Midwestvintage View Post
    Well I have been looking around, here and on other selling site and none of my books are listed under adult, some mention in the listing mature readers and those particular books, done by heavy metal would be better in adult but the rest are listed under fantasy, science fiction art, and graphic cartoon/novel. I am afraid if I list them all under adult I won't get any hits or sells. Most are art books, the nudity is in an art form.
    IMHO a book can be listed under whichever category it fits. I have a few "graphic" books listed myself, but listed them under relationships as they're relationship oriented. A heads up in the listing (i.e. 'for mature readers' or similar) should be enough I would think.

I ship my books Media Mail, usually in padded envelopes with delivery confirmation, (costs a little extra but I like to be able to keep track of items), but, as Jan said, you might want to get a quote from USPS, especially if you have large or oversized/coffeetable type books.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

I agree, I don't think you can get a paypal account if your underage, I don't think. Personally I have not looked at hardly any of the books, they are like new and I want to keep them that way and I don't think many of them were even read, just bought to complete a collection or for reference for his art work. He says some may be worth hanging onto as he bought them with the knowledge they would go up in worth. Course in this market..... I may just sell the Heavy metal books locally, they are the ones that I would be concerned about. That way I can screen who gets them and fortunately there aren't many of them.
    Last edited by Midwestvintage; 28th January 2014 at 07:53 PM.

Thread Information