eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Win95 scanner work with Win8 pc?

Default Re: Will Win95 scanner work with Win8 pc?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeleilani View Post
    I recently bought a printer - wish I'd bought all-in-one now but didn't know I needed it at the time. I only need to use the scanner function. Is this Canon printer compatible with Windows 8?
    Just listed it. These are the latest of the canon entry level printers and they support
    Windows 8
    Windows 7
    Windows Vista
    Windows XP SP3 (32bit only).
    Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I think it's a case of the manufacturers making their money from the sale of printer ink. The high revenue from that makes it possible to sell a printer, or anything with a printer in it, at a loss.
    Printers are generally sold at cost or less, then as you say they make their money on the consumables. Ink can work out at over £3,000 a litre which I think should leave a large enough margin for the cartridges and a small profit.

View lakeleilani's Feedback (+434)
    All-About lakeleilani
    View lakeleilani's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you everyone for your help. I have just bought the printer from Kreative.
    http://lake-leilani.ebid.net Fair Trade Clothes and accessories with a boho twist. For men, women and children.
    http://lake-leilani-occasions.ebid.net Handcrafted Cards and Fair Trade Gift Wrap.
    http://lake-leilani-gifts.ebid.net Fair Trade and Handcrafted gifts, incense and homeware.

Forum Newbie
    Littlehampton, West Sussex, United Kingdom
    View anthonyb7414's Feedback (+305)
    All-About anthonyb7414
    View anthonyb7414's Listings
    Forum Posts

For anyone else looking for a driver for an old scanner, use the program "VueScan Scanner Software"
    You will have to pay for it, unless you know where to find it for free...

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyb7414 View Post
    For anyone else looking for a driver for an old scanner, use the program "VueScan Scanner Software"
    "Vuescan" is an excellent program, especially for having full control over the scan process in photography. However, it does not work with all old scanners, Canon being a case in point. In order for Canon scanners to work, Vusecan actually calls the Canon driver. If Canon do not have a driver for your OS then "Vuescan" will not work. If you check the website (quoted in earlier posts as Hamrick) it gives a compatibility list. You are also allowed to test it for a trial period.

My solution for a Canon scanner for which there was no driver for Windows 7 was to run XP in a Virtual Machine. Eventually I bought an all-in-one for the everyday stuff, reserving the standalone for more detailed work in photography.

As has been said, the profit for the manufacturer is in the ink rather than the printer. I choose a printer "in reverse". I look for one for which I may purchase refillable cartridges and make sure that the German company OCP has produced a compatible ink. It works out then at well under 20p per refill for one cartridge and is much cheaper. I'd not advise using the Chinese produced inks as they tend to be "universal" and can clog the heads.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyb7414 View Post
    Thank you for this as it has solved a problem with my Brother printer/Scanner which works perfectly with XP but doesn't want to talk to new W8 PC (and also OH's HP printer/scanner.)
    Last edited by Anniemcc2; 15th May 2014 at 03:29 PM.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Drat ! Looks like I'm going to have to buy it unless eBid don't mind VueScan's logo across all my scans !
    Last edited by Anniemcc2; 15th May 2014 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    As has been said, the profit for the manufacturer is in the ink rather than the printer. I choose a printer "in reverse". I look for one for which I may purchase refillable cartridges and make sure that the German company OCP has produced a compatible ink. It works out then at well under 20p per refill for one cartridge and is much cheaper. I'd not advise using the Chinese produced inks as they tend to be "universal" and can clog the heads.
    Thanks! I've found www.ocp.de. Where do you buy their ink in the UK?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Thanks! I've found www.ocp.de. Where do you buy their ink in the UK?
    Sorry for the delay. The only one I've found who sells in sensible quantities (e.g.5 bottles for about £15) is on TOS. He has websites as well but they have fallen into disrepair.

Others selling do so in 5 litre cans which is pointless for a run of the mill printer. Will pm you.

Just checked and he sells by 'phone and email also, so have PM'd those. Not sure about the Netiquette of adding them here.

Thread Information