eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Will Win95 scanner work with Win8 pc?

Default Re: Will Win95 scanner work with Win8 pc?

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    One other thing I ought to have mentioned in this thread... Don't get caught, do your research.
    Absolutely right, Johnwash! There is something else, too: I am able to use a quality 3rd party ink, because the printer does not detect that things are not "genuine", i.e. not part of the "rip-off". There is a reason for this. When purchasing I make sure that the current firmware will allow non-OEM. Then, when setting up the printer I refuse it permission to "phone home" automatically to "upgrade" the firmware. Usually ths means that they have found out that somebody has found a way around their system and this new "patch" will prevent the user from circumventing what the manufacturer wants.

Check what is available for refilling. The two big boys can be refilled (subject to provisos above) but a third does not; you may buy only "rebuilt" cartridges. The reason is that this manufacturer simply creates an ink system. The engine is from one of the other two, usually Canon.

So, do your research; or, if you have a particular machine/job in mind, do ask. One of us may have done the research already - or know somebody who has!

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    Absolutely right, Johnwash! There is something else, too: I am able to use a quality 3rd party ink, because the printer does not detect that things are not "genuine", i.e. not part of the "rip-off". There is a reason for this. When purchasing I make sure that the current firmware will allow non-OEM. Then, when setting up the printer I refuse it permission to "phone home" automatically to "upgrade" the firmware. Usually ths means that they have found out that somebody has found a way around their system and this new "patch" will prevent the user from circumventing what the manufacturer wants.

Check what is available for refilling. The two big boys can be refilled (subject to provisos above) but a third does not; you may buy only "rebuilt" cartridges. The reason is that this manufacturer simply creates an ink system. The engine is from one of the other two, usually Canon.

So, do your research; or, if you have a particular machine/job in mind, do ask. One of us may have done the research already - or know somebody who has!
    I think going to extreme lengths to prevent the printer from "phoning home" may be shutting the stable door. After the fiasco where HP had to back down after including a time bomb in their firmware update, to stop working with 3rd party cartridges, surely no manufacturer would be foolish enough to repeat that PR disaster. Would they? Hmm, well maybe I see your point after all -- sometimes the ability to learn from history is lacking.

Canon, Epson, HP, Lexmark, Brother, ... can you be more specific about which can be refilled? I didn't quite follow what you were saying. This is really useful info.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Short answer: Easiest are the two market leaders, Epson and Canon, with Canon being the easier. It's even possible to get devices to reset Canon cartridge "chips", though they usually have a limited life of about 100 iterations; useful in an emergency, however.
    I used Epson for many years but switched to Canon in the last 5 years.

Reading this together with an earlier post, you can work o0ut that HP engines are one or the other, usually Canon, and that it is the cartridge system which appears to be different.

Of course, these things change from time to time, so again...do the research.

Short answer: Easiest are the two market leaders, Epson and Canon, with Canon being the easier. It's even possible to get devices to reset Canon cartridge "chips", though they usually have a limited life of about 100 iterations; useful in an emergency, however.
    I used Epson for many years but switched to Canon in the last 5 years.

Reading this together with an earlier post, you can work o0ut that HP engines are one or the other, usually Canon, and that it is the cartridge system which appears to be different.

Of course, these things change from time to time, so again...do the research.
    Thanks. I'm a big fan of Canon for cameras and scientific instruments, but I'm fed up with the number of Canon printers people bring me exhibiting "B200 error". There's many youtube videos with various suggested fixes, but, probably because the error is so generic, the comments show that what helps one person fix it may not work for another. The best video I've seen is only 50 seconds long, the author shows it being hurled out of a second floor window and smashing to pieces. It's not just one model of Canon that ends up with B200, many different models go this way. The waste in landfill is appalling, not to mention the effect on wallets.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Yes...that B200 error is definitely a B something or other; I've seen the Youtube clip you mention a well!. I've only managed to fix it ever over a short period of a week or so, only to have it return. It appears to be caused by the earth line suddenly "floating". Were it to happen on one of mine, I'd try an experiment to see if altering the mains input would help (it does as temporary fix), but I don't offer anything experimental like that to friends. It's too risky, especially as I've never yet managed to get the circuit diagram/schematic for one with this fault. Makes life interesting, though!

Yes...that B200 error is definitely a B something or other; I've seen the Youtube clip you mention a well!. I've only managed to fix it ever over a short period of a week or so, only to have it return. It appears to be caused by the earth line suddenly "floating". Were it to happen on one of mine, I'd try an experiment to see if altering the mains input would help (it does as temporary fix), but I don't offer anything experimental like that to friends. It's too risky, especially as I've never yet managed to get the circuit diagram/schematic for one with this fault. Makes life interesting, though!
    Hadn't heard that theory, interesting. I believe B200 is shorthand for "Meh, there's something screwed up with the printhead, but diagnosing it and being helpful is above my pay grade". Back when I was young and enthusiastic I sometimes got success with taking out the printhead (usually very easy on Canons) and washing it thoroughly in warm water and other solvents, drying it well and reassembling. And your experience of PWA followed by PCB is similar to mine.

(Problem Went Away, Problem Came Back)

Quote Originally Posted by sue1945 View Post
    you would need a windows 8 driver. go to the scanner manufacturer website and check to see if your scanner is on there in the support section and checkout the downloads sometimes you get a scanner driver by searching google. i you can't find one either way just buy a new scanner that supports windows 8 because you know that will work
    The NT driver and software would likely work on XP, and might work on Windows 7/8 32-bit (in theory it should), but certainly not 64-bit. If it's actually from the mid 90s, it would connect through SCSI or a parallel port, which a Windows 8 computer is unlikely to have. If it is working in 7, then they're probably using an updated driver, or some generic scanner software, possibly something that's based off of the SANE scanner utilities found on GNU/Linux.

Thread Information