eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help needed with gemstones please !

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Help needed with gemstones please !

There are various instruments (used by Gemmologists) & some Jewellers, the Thermal probe mentioned above is one, plus others that measure light refraction, spectra, specific gravity & viewing by microscope, among them.
    Naturally, one has to be trained in their use, & identifications in the gem world are a minefield for the novice.
    New synthetics & processes are being developed all the time.
    To be sure, you have to take it to an expert.

Here's 2 scenario's to consider.

1. It costs you money by taking it to an expert to find out it's glass. (the likely outcome)

2. You save money by not getting expert opinion & sell it as cheap glass, only to find out later that it was a Diamond! (less likely outcome)

Both rotten options I know, but if you can get at least some free semi expert opinion, that would be the way to go.

Thank you all very much for your help on this, that's brilliant. I was told they were real and have no reason to think they aren't, but as I will be selling them on I wanted as much info as possible just to be on the safe side :-) I will have a look at these thermal probe (sounds painful!) gadgets as it may be worth it if it isn't too costly .

Forum Saint
    All-About Oldandintheway
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LovesVintage43 View Post
    Thank you all very much for your help on this, that's brilliant. I was told they were real and have no reason to think they aren't, but as I will be selling them on I wanted as much info as possible just to be on the safe side :-) I will have a look at these thermal probe (sounds painful!) gadgets as it may be worth it if it isn't too costly .
    I'd still like to see a photo if possible.

I'll have to do it when I have more time...I just can't work out how to use the resizing thing at all and I'm getting very frustrated with it !!

Forum Saint
    All-About Oldandintheway
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LovesVintage43 View Post
    I'll have to do it when I have more time...I just can't work out how to use the resizing thing at all and I'm getting very frustrated with it !!
    If you have an option of resizing by pixel quantity in your photo edit software, then 600 x 600 is the comfortable maximum for the forum.

Hi,

if you took some good pictures i could likely tell you what the stones are and about what grade, Indian silver is 800 normally

Forum Newbie
    Worcestershire, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    View renscharms's Feedback (+88)
    All-About renscharms
    View renscharms's Listings
    Forum Posts

first of all look into the gem look for inclusions. a gas, liquid or solid in the gem pretty much tells you its natural now there are alot of big gems out there but if you can see with your naked eye through the gem and it is like your looking through colored glass this most likely is a lab created gem clarity of the gem also can help you know if its natural this has to do with inclusions foggy or unclear areas means natural the reason is lab gems is uniformed and the color is uniform meaning perfect spectrum of color looks to perfect now brilliance and brightness of the gem light refraction passing through the gem if it is not uniform this is a natural gemstone if the light is uniform all the way across then your dealing with a lab creation a good thing to remember carat weight ok most natural gems rubies sapphire emeralds are not cut very much above certain carat weight you can look up on google or yahoo search about stadard sizes of gems if they go above this most likely you have a synthetic because rubies above five carats and emeralds the price would be very high there are some that they do cut above this standard weight and the prices my friend per carat goes way up in value so remember if it sounds to good to be true then your right opaque gems will be cut in bigger sizes because of the clarity you can not see into the gem then its what it is

Found this info on the net, wondered if it would help?????

Forum Newbie
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View Orangeorchid's Feedback (+167)
    All-About Orangeorchid
    View Orangeorchid's Listings
    Forum Posts

I travel a lot to India and on a couple of occasions have brought some silver back with me ( rings ) and some of their Gold and sent it up to the Assay office in Birmingham, they will test the Diamonds for you too although now I tend to do that myself with my own Diamond tester.
    I studied and took an exam in gemology and both husband and I have been dealing in gems ever since so we could help a little on the gems but the Silver you need to have this done properly, the Assay office are efficient, friendly and will help with lots of advice.

Thread Information