Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Do books sell on ebid?

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Do books sell on ebid?

I am only guessing
    But I think the vast majority of New Zealanders use Trademe. (or Amazon for books)
    We don't have Google Shopping here.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I am only guessing
    But I think the vast majority of New Zealanders use Trademe. (or Amazon for books)
    We don't have Google Shopping here.
    I actually said.

"I assume people in New Zealand do use Google as a search tool."
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    There is a saying in Spanish (I'll translate it)...."He who does not venture forth never crosses the sea.''

If it's not listed, it can't sell.

You lose nothing but a couple minutes to list, and the benefits could be big. It's not just current members that buy!

I agree.

My opinion has always been that the buyers already here on eBid are just a bonus (a nice welcome bonus) - however my priority is to attract buyers who are not members of eBid.

If I can give an example....... that happened not so long ago.

I was helping another eBid member set up shop (he is a customer of mine who then became a seller). Listed a few things but he wouldn't list a particular collectable theme because he could see virtually nothing else listed along those lines and therefore he determined there were no buyers here for it. I did point out that you can't have buyers of an item without there being items that are correctly listed for them to find and buy. No amount of my explaining/arm twisting/jumping up and down/bullying would get him to change his mind and list them here.

Fast forward a little bit - I have a few of the same theme come up.

I (of course) did list my items here, only 3 of them initially - so how long did it take for a collector to find them?

49 hours, precisely - signed up to eBid straight away and purchased. I listed a few more and he has returned to buy.

Whilst it rarely happens as quickly as the example above - the principle however long it may take is relevant: eBid is now a destination site for that buyer - but that would have been impossible if the items had not been here for him to purchase.

Dean is right. I have listed some items that were not only not on eBid, they were not offered anywhere on the internet. These were odd vintage items, some in terrible condition, that only a collector would want. Many of them sold quickly. If I had tossed them, there would have been two losers -- the collector and me.

Forum Lurker
    West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Spot50's Feedback (+152)
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Coming up to 2 months now since I started listing and I have had some limited success so far, with 11 items sold in total to 4 different buyers (one of them buys mainly audio books) so it is still very, very slow going. I'm continuing to add to my listings on a daily basis so I'm trying to add to Ebids choices once a potential buyer comes here, but it really is hard work for such little return. On The Other Place, the constant dissatisfaction from it's sellers (those that use the forums at least) seems to be having no effect on them at all. I really think they'll only reassess the situation after the Christmas/ New Year selling period is over. If you read the boards there, some of them are also moaning about how slow sales are so perhaps it's internet auction selling in general that's down.

Anyway I'll continue to add as it's doesn't cost to list - and I am upgrading to a visible photo once the item has received 5 viewings but it's not made much difference so far.To answer my own question, it would appear books do NOT sell well on eBid but I'm not giving up!!
    Last edited by Spot50; 26th October 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot50 View Post
    ... On The Other Place, the constant dissatisfaction from it's sellers (those that use the forums at least) seems to be having no effect on them at all. ...
    On the contrary, I feel they're struggling over there. I've not counted, but I get the impression they have free listing w/ends more often than in past years, and they've switched from 1 free photo to 12. That doesn't sound like an auction site that's unaffected by constant seller dissatisfaction and competition from elsewhere.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Lurker
    West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Spot50's Feedback (+152)
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    On the contrary, I feel they're struggling over there. I've not counted, but I get the impression they have free listing w/ends more often than in past years, and they've switched from 1 free photo to 12. That doesn't sound like an auction site that's unaffected by constant seller dissatisfaction and competition from elsewhere.
    When I said that the sellers contant moaning is having no effect on them - the 'them' I'm refering to is the management not the users. There has been Free Listing weekends every 2 weeks for quite a while now, 1 for items below £1 normally followed 2 weeks later by over £1.00 items. But your right about the increased picture allowance, this was done just before the change in the FVF charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot50 View Post
    When I said that the sellers contant moaning is having no effect on them - the 'them' I'm refering to is the management not the users. There has been Free Listing weekends every 2 weeks for quite a while now, 1 for items below £1 normally followed 2 weeks later by over £1.00 items. But your right about the increased picture allowance, this was done just before the change in the FVF charges.
    Yes, I assumed that was who you meant, and my ref to 'they' was also concerning the management.

Though I imagine the management are influenced as least as much by external factors as by sellers moaning. See http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/1...99F12D20131017 .
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    I agree.

My opinion has always been that the buyers already here on eBid are just a bonus (a nice welcome bonus) - however my priority is to attract buyers who are not members of eBid.

If I can give an example....... that happened not so long ago.

I was helping another eBid member set up shop (he is a customer of mine who then became a seller). Listed a few things but he wouldn't list a particular collectable theme because he could see virtually nothing else listed along those lines and therefore he determined there were no buyers here for it. I did point out that you can't have buyers of an item without there being items that are correctly listed for them to find and buy. No amount of my explaining/arm twisting/jumping up and down/bullying would get him to change his mind and list them here.

Fast forward a little bit - I have a few of the same theme come up.

I (of course) did list my items here, only 3 of them initially - so how long did it take for a collector to find them?

49 hours, precisely - signed up to eBid straight away and purchased. I listed a few more and he has returned to buy.

Whilst it rarely happens as quickly as the example above - the principle however long it may take is relevant: eBid is now a destination site for that buyer - but that would have been impossible if the items had not been here for him to purchase.
    I agree.
    I've just started selling tools here. I have the only tool shop on eBid - imagine that!

You could take the view that there aren't any more because they don't sell on here. I look at it differently: I've sold literally thousands on eBay - I was selling 200 hand sickles alone, per year.

I'm not selling much yet on eBid, but that must mean I'm not doing it right yet. People suddenly haven't stopped buying tools.
    About 50% of my sales were in the UK, 25% US & Canada, and 25% Rest of the World. I have sold to 52 different countries, and won't sell to Africa, so that is quite a spread.

I have to believe that I can connect, or re-connect, with those buyers and bring in new ones.

If I can, and I'm sure I can, just think of the advantage of being the only tool shop on eBid. Think positive.

I started to read this thread because I'm interested in selling books. I'm now reasonably sure it can be done, if it is done right. I've learned a lot from reading this thread.

All those sellers from eBay have to be going somewhere, and taking their buyers with them. And sellers are also buyers.

So let's stay positive and make it worth their while to come here.

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11854)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squern View Post
    I agree.
    I've just started selling tools here. I have the only tool shop on eBid - imagine that!

You could take the view that there aren't any more because they don't sell on here. I look at it differently: I've sold literally thousands on eBay - I was selling 200 hand sickles alone, per year.

I'm not selling much yet on eBid, but that must mean I'm not doing it right yet. People suddenly haven't stopped buying tools.
    About 50% of my sales were in the UK, 25% US & Canada, and 25% Rest of the World. I have sold to 52 different countries, and won't sell to Africa, so that is quite a spread.

I have to believe that I can connect, or re-connect, with those buyers and bring in new ones.

If I can, and I'm sure I can, just think of the advantage of being the only tool shop on eBid. Think positive.

I started to read this thread because I'm interested in selling books. I'm now reasonably sure it can be done, if it is done right. I've learned a lot from reading this thread.

All those sellers from eBay have to be going somewhere, and taking their buyers with them. And sellers are also buyers.

So let's stay positive and make it worth their while to come here.
    Sound words indeed - I agree with the sentiments and positiveness portrayed.

Well, I am not an expert on book-selling, but I do like certain books and don't buy as many as I used to.

I've noticed many a bookshops go to the wall in recent years, but those books are still around I would presume; just not available to buy as much as they used to - has on-line business in the book world taken over completely?

There is good opportunity for any book sellers to get to them into the market place on here I would say, especially with the google tie-in.

Go for it - I might even buy one too!

Thread Information