Forum Lurker
    West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Spot50's Feedback (+152)
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Do books sell on ebid?

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    Have to say that I agree with the points that thebeddingman made. Since you don't sell to Canada, I had to check the UK system, so I would never find your items. Don't know if you sell to the US.

I do think that sales can be made here, but a different approach is required ... the kind of approach outlined by thebeddingman.

Good luck.
    Sorry, but UK only I'm afraid so as a none UK member your not really in my target customer base in the same way that thebeddingman wants B.I.N. whereas I prefer auction sales. As I've said before I have sold quite successfully on Ebay for years and with using these limitations. I'm adding a few non-books to my listings to see if these sell any better. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstGreenIsGold View Post
    Have to say that I agree with the points that thebeddingman made. Since you don't sell to Canada, I had to check the UK system, so I would never find your items. Don't know if you sell to the US.

I do think that sales can be made here, but a different approach is required ... the kind of approach outlined by thebeddingman.

Good luck.
    No, the OP does not offer his books in the U.S. either.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    You do realize this is not the bay, right?
    Of course I do, but I can only base my selling here on the experiences I already have and that's from selling on Ebay.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Or can take advantage of the experiences of those that are already selling here. Just a thought.
    Which is the very reason for starting the thread. But I hope existing sellers remember when THEY first started and realise that I'm only a private seller with the very basic Ebid account and as such have to work within those limitations at this stage.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wishing you success
    Greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallshrew View Post
    I know you're only trying to help but do you honestly think anyone gives a hoot about any of that when they are buying a book. OP can put that if they really want to but it will have no impact on sales whatsoever.

My understanding is that only Seller+ and Platinum listings with Buy It Now are sent to Google and last time I looked the OP was Seller.
    I think you are missing the point of the about me page or maybe it's just me that see's it as a very good selling tool?
    think of it this way part of the reason many people spout on about lack of sales is down to lack of trust from the buyer.
    Like many have said they have heard of the bay and the river and trust these site both have become household names but not many people have heard of ebid or any of the sellers on it so this is your first tool to lay some foundations about what you do where you have sold what you t and c are and any links you may find useful for a sales purpose.
    With online selling it is mainly about trust and I defiantly have a hard time trusting a seller on a site I have never heard of when they have not bothered to fill in any back ground info about there selling history or terms and conditions on there about me page.
    The other thing about the about me page is it has a stand alone web address which even if your listing don't appear in google this page does so it again is a one of your best forms of advertising.

As regards to your other comment any listing that's is done properly and has a BIN on it will appear in google no matter what the seller status is.
    Check out my shop for all your fav comic books
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/HUSHS-COMIC-BOOK-WORLD

Hush is barnching out check it out
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Hushs-Trading-Card-Shack

Check out my about me for some stuff about me.
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/hush77hush/all-about-me/
    or why not join my social group on the fourm pages.
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/group.php?groupid=30

Why not follow me on Twitter.
    http://twitter.com/#!/hush77hush

OP then main idea for selling online is to be able to compete with the big boys and you seam to be doing more and more things yourself to make it a less level playing field.
    you sell books via a web site on the WORLD wide web and you only list your items available to the UK? This limits yourself from a poss 7 billion buyers down to about 60 million why?
    Books don't incur duty's in many countries and even if they did that's the buyers problem they also pay for the postage so as long as you work it out right there should be no problem there either.
    Listing as a auction is now out dated I am not saying don't do it but at least add a buy it now price to the auctions people want things yesterday and with having your items as auction run after first bid you are turning customers away. also these listings are fast moving to the bottom of searches never to be seen again.
    You have said that you are only trying out ebid but to me it looks like an unfair trial if your not using the tools properly??
    Check out my shop for all your fav comic books
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/HUSHS-COMIC-BOOK-WORLD

Hush is barnching out check it out
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Hushs-Trading-Card-Shack

Check out my about me for some stuff about me.
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/hush77hush/all-about-me/
    or why not join my social group on the fourm pages.
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/group.php?groupid=30

Why not follow me on Twitter.
    http://twitter.com/#!/hush77hush

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hush77hush View Post
    OP then main idea for selling online is to be able to compete with the big boys and you seam to be doing more and more things yourself to make it a less level playing field.
    you sell books via a web site on the WORLD wide web and you only list your items available to the UK? This limits yourself from a poss 7 billion buyers down to about 60 million why?
    Books don't incur duty's in many countries and even if they did that's the buyers problem they also pay for the postage so as long as you work it out right there should be no problem there either.
    Listing as a auction is now out dated I am not saying don't do it but at least add a buy it now price to the auctions people want things yesterday and with having your items as auction run after first bid you are turning customers away. also these listings are fast moving to the bottom of searches never to be seen again.
    You have said that you are only trying out ebid but to me it looks like an unfair trial if your not using the tools properly??
    Hi Hush77hush, thanks for the respone. I really don't want to compete with the big boys, I'm just an hobbyist who enjoys the thrill of selling items (usually books) that I no longer want on auction sites. Over the years, friends and family have given me the books they no longer want as they know how much I like to list them, that is why I don't offer B.I.N. prices...it's just NO FUN. I'm not a business, I don't rely on the income to support me or my family and, to me, it isn't just about an instant sale
    When I first started selling on Ebay, I had no restrictions on where I would post to but learned very quickly that selling abroad was a mine field, had my fingers burned a couple of times and decided to restrict to UK only, a position I'm happy to stick to even if that restricts my potential customer base.
    As for your suggestion that I'm not giving Ebid a fair chance by not using all the tools available, I'm just not prepared to pay £50.00 at this stage, most of the items I list start at 99p so it would take a long time to get the £50 back. If Ebid is no longer a place for auctions then perhaps I am on the wrong site.

Use both. Win Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot50 View Post
    Hi Hush77hush, thanks for the respone. I really don't want to compete with the big boys, I'm just an hobbyist who enjoys the thrill of selling items (usually books) that I no longer want on auction sites. Over the years, friends and family have given me the books they no longer want as they know how much I like to list them, that is why I don't offer B.I.N. prices...it's just NO FUN. I'm not a business, I don't rely on the income to support me or my family and, to me, it isn't just about an instant sale
    When I first started selling on Ebay, I had no restrictions on where I would post to but learned very quickly that selling abroad was a mine field, had my fingers burned a couple of times and decided to restrict to UK only, a position I'm happy to stick to even if that restricts my potential customer base.
    As for your suggestion that I'm not giving Ebid a fair chance by not using all the tools available, I'm just not prepared to pay £50.00 at this stage, most of the items I list start at 99p so it would take a long time to get the £50 back. If Ebid is no longer a place for auctions then perhaps I am on the wrong site.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ebideclectics View Post
    Use both. Win Win
    Can you do that witha basic Seller account?

Thread Information