Thread: Do books sell on ebid?

Forum Lurker
    West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Spot50's Feedback (+152)
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Do books sell on ebid?

I'm now up to nearly 900 items and although there seem to be a few 'views' (although the count keeps changing????) there are very few bidders. I'm only on the basic seller account and with this level of activety I can't see me committing to spending to open a seller+ account.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spot50 View Post
    I... I'm only on the basic seller account and with this level of activety I can't see me committing to spending to open a seller+ account.
    One good reason to upgrade is to be able to offer a Buy It Now price.

Thats the future, on line auctions are the past.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    One good reason to upgrade is to be able to offer a Buy It Now price.

Thats the future, on line auctions are the past.

I agree.

Spot50

Just to give you some thoughts on your listings - some of which has been documented already.

1. Just about all your listings are on a first bid - so they will permanently remain behind a very long list of books. 7 to 10 days listings will give a nice rotation of your listings and give them extra visibility.

2. All upper case in the titles - if someone was browsing quickly through the listings yours would be difficult to notice because they will just appear as a jumbled blur to the browser.

3. Keywords

Based on your title:

AGATHA CHRISTIE - POIROT: CURTAIN, POIROT'S LAST CASE. (Hardback - 1975)

If someone was searching for:

Hercule Poirot or Hercule Poirot Books or Agatha Christie Books or Agatha Christie Poirot Book

Then your item would not appear in a search.

So it would be better to have a title that would include the extra keywords to ensure that those looking for it - can find it. Something like (for example):

Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot's Last Case Curtain Hardback Book 1975

The keyword Book is really important - the amount of keyword searchers who use book in their search is high, very high. Why? Because if someone is thinking about wanting an Agatha Christie Book that they may not have read then the chances are they will search for Agatha Christie Book. By excluding the relevant keyword you are excluding the buyer from seeing your listing.

Golden rule - a book is a book - a magazine is a magazine - socks are socks - wallets are wallets. Never miss out the fundamental keyword.

And how many Agatha Christie Books are for sale on eBid - only 6 !! (there are some more audio listings though)

4. General

Because you are not seller+ you miss out by not having a shop - and a shop for an amount of listings is vital for buyer navigation and to give you an identity as a seller. As stated in the post above - you really need to have a buy it now price - if I wanted a book I wouldn't want to have wait so many days before I was able to buy it.

There are no ISBN details entered when listing - again that is important. I did click on a couple of your items a while ago and there was one that I saw with the details entered, unfortunately it had been entered in wrongly so came up as a corgi toy.

On your descriptions I would detail the condition of the book - I can see on the example I have used that the dust jacket has some wear, that is not a particular issue but may lead me to question the state of the rest of the book and there is nothing detailed in the description which answers that. The more questions you put in a buyers mind means you are giving buyers too much to think about - the only thing you want the buyer to think it about is buying.

The view count is not worth paying any attention to whatsoever. Just because an item has (for example) 16 views probably means that the Google/Bing and all the search engine Bots have been on the listing. The only view that is ever important is the view that sells the item.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanosaur1972 View Post
    I agree.

Spot50

Just to give you some thoughts on your listings - some of which has been documented already.

1. Just about all your listings are on a first bid - so they will permanently remain behind a very long list of books. 7 to 10 days listings will give a nice rotation of your listings and give them extra visibility.

2. All upper case in the titles - if someone was browsing quickly through the listings yours would be difficult to notice because they will just appear as a jumbled blur to the browser.

3. Keywords

Based on your title:

AGATHA CHRISTIE - POIROT: CURTAIN, POIROT'S LAST CASE. (Hardback - 1975)

If someone was searching for:

Hercule Poirot or Hercule Poirot Books or Agatha Christie Books or Agatha Christie Poirot Book

Then your item would not appear in a search.

So it would be better to have a title that would include the extra keywords to ensure that those looking for it - can find it. Something like (for example):

Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot's Last Case Curtain Hardback Book 1975

The keyword Book is really important - the amount of keyword searchers who use book in their search is high, very high. Why? Because if someone is thinking about wanting an Agatha Christie Book that they may not have read then the chances are they will search for Agatha Christie Book. By excluding the relevant keyword you are excluding the buyer from seeing your listing.

Golden rule - a book is a book - a magazine is a magazine - socks are socks - wallets are wallets. Never miss out the fundamental keyword.

And how many Agatha Christie Books are for sale on eBid - only 6 !! (there are some more audio listings though)

4. General

Because you are not seller+ you miss out by not having a shop - and a shop for an amount of listings is vital for buyer navigation and to give you an identity as a seller. As stated in the post above - you really need to have a buy it now price - if I wanted a book I wouldn't want to have wait so many days before I was able to buy it.

There are no ISBN details entered when listing - again that is important. I did click on a couple of your items a while ago and there was one that I saw with the details entered, unfortunately it had been entered in wrongly so came up as a corgi toy.

On your descriptions I would detail the condition of the book - I can see on the example I have used that the dust jacket has some wear, that is not a particular issue but may lead me to question the state of the rest of the book and there is nothing detailed in the description which answers that. The more questions you put in a buyers mind means you are giving buyers too much to think about - the only thing you want the buyer to think it about is buying.

The view count is not worth paying any attention to whatsoever. Just because an item has (for example) 16 views probably means that the Google/Bing and all the search engine Bots have been on the listing. The only view that is ever important is the view that sells the item.
    Thanks for the detailed and obviously thought through reply, I'll take on board what you've said but I must be the dinosaur here, as I still love an auction, both as a seller and a buyer. if I wanted B.I.N items to be honest I'd go to Amazon but that must be just me!
    Also some of the books are book club editions so have a 8 digit issn number which is not recognised when entered.
    After your mention of searching by title, I typed in both 'Poirot' and seperately 'Agatha Christie' and my books come up, albeit at the bottom of the seach but they are there. When I search for a book I never feel the need to type book in the search box...if a subject title brings up all sorts of items I just click on the Books and Magazine section to narrow it down.
    As I said thanks for your help...
    Last edited by Spot50; 8th November 2013 at 12:39 AM.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Now over 1100 items lists all with B.I.N option, ali had titles in capital replaced and most of the punctuation removed. Getting loads more 'views' and having checked various titles, my listings are being seen at the top or very close to the top so that can't be a proplem any more. But still sales are very very slow.

I'll keep listing trying to add as much variey of subject that I can.

Now over 1100 items lists all with B.I.N option, ali had titles in capital replaced and most of the punctuation removed. Getting loads more 'views' and having checked various titles, my listings are being seen at the top or very close to the top so that can't be a proplem any more. But still sales are very very slow.

I'll keep listing trying to add as much variey of subject that I can.

It is looking a lot better, your visibility is substantially increased.

All those books in your own bookshop would be better as it would be easier for buyer navigation. You can bulk edit the items into a shop in one go. Although that won't help you divide your items into your own chosen categories within a shop that is something you can aim for long term.

A lot of sellers will tell you that often an old item just happens to sell when they create a new listing of a similar nature - it is no accident, the process is thus: The new listing has the keywords or relevance that brought the buyer onto their listings and that means they take a look around the shop and hey presto, the old item sells. So a key area is keeping those people who get onto one of your listings and make them look around at a few more.

Thanks for the detailed and obviously thought through reply, I'll take on board what you've said but I must be the dinosaur here, as I still love an auction, both as a seller and a buyer. if I wanted B.I.N items to be honest I'd go to Amazon but that must be just me!
    Also some of the books are book club editions so have a 8 digit issn number which is not recognised when entered.
    After your mention of searching by title, I typed in both 'Poirot' and seperately 'Agatha Christie' and my books come up, albeit at the bottom of the seach but they are there. When I search for a book I never feel the need to type book in the search box...if a subject title brings up all sorts of items I just click on the Books and Magazine section to narrow it down.
    As I said thanks for your help...
    I'm glad to see you've taken Dean's advice, he really does have a track record for knowing what he's talking about! (Thanks Dean, I've learned a lot from your past postings).

To say you would have preferred Amazon for BIN isn't logical, to my mind. Yes, Amazon gets a huge footfall, but they take a significant fee, much higher than eBid. Of course, if you have automated systems in place, the best option would be to list in both places.

When looking for books, I search as you do, without 'book' and narrowing it by section, if I'm already on a site. But if I'm searching on Google, I may include 'book' to get rid of irrelevant hits. So Dean's advice makes sense to me.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Lurker
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    I'm glad to see you've taken Dean's advice, he really does have a track record for knowing what he's talking about! (Thanks Dean, I've learned a lot from your past postings).

To say you would have preferred Amazon for BIN isn't logical, to my mind. Yes, Amazon gets a huge footfall, but they take a significant fee, much higher than eBid. Of course, if you have automated systems in place, the best option would be to list in both places.

When looking for books, I search as you do, without 'book' and narrowing it by section, if I'm already on a site. But if I'm searching on Google, I may include 'book' to get rid of irrelevant hits. So Dean's advice makes sense to me.
    Sorry, I didn't make it too clear, I don't sell on Amazon but have used the site for years to buy from and have always gone there for BIN items, I normally prefer to bid which is why I always used feebay both as buyer and seller using the auction format only.
    I must say that the selling prices on EBID are much higher than the other place which may be putting a lot of potential users off once they come here.

I will keep adding books, still loads of titles left to list as I'm having a complete clear out and I've told all family, friends and workmates I no longer want the books they are throwing out (and I usually get loads in January as people make room for new items)..I just haven't anywhere to store them whilst waiting for them to shift. I will be doing car boots come next spring and, if those idiots on the other place reverse some of their recent changes I'll list there as well.
    This used to be fun but it's now getting to the point where it's a chore...hobbies should never FEEL like a chore!
    Last edited by Spot50; 1st December 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Sorry, I didn't make it too clear, I don't sell on Amazon but have used the site for years to buy from and have always gone there for BIN items, I normally prefer to bid which is why I always used feebay both as buyer and seller using the auction format only.
    I must say that the selling prices on EBID are much higher than the other place which may be putting a lot of potential users off once they come here.

I will keep adding books, still loads of titles left to list as I'm having a complete clear out and I've told all family, friends and workmates I no longer want the books they are throwing out (and I usually get loads in January as people make room for new items)..I just haven't anywhere to store them whilst waiting for them to shift. I will be doing car boots come next spring and, if those idiots on the other place reverse some of their recent changes I'll list there as well.
    This used to be fun but it's now getting to the point where it's a chore...hobbies should never FEEL like a chore!
    Yes, I agree, I've often commented here about the craziness, some sellers listing at prices that simply aren't competitive. Of course, the same is true on feebay, there ARE sellers who list at stupid prices, but of course one doesn't tend to notice them so much because there's plenty of others that come much higher in the searches when one sorts by price plus postage lowest first.

To my mind this underlines that the best things to list on ebid are unique or rare items that have little competition. One can list and wait patiently.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

You obviously haven't visited my bookstore.

Norty spot!

Thread Information