Thread: Do books sell on ebid?

Forum Lurker
    West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Spot50's Feedback (+152)
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Do books sell on ebid?

Having finally lost it with Ebay I thought I've give Ebid a go. I'm listing my books gradually but don't seem to be getting much interest. So I'm just wondering if Ebid is the right venue for me? Do books sell well on here? If so, what catagory sell best?

I'm finding the listing method very easy to use and looking through these forums, the people on here seem a lot friendlier than the handful of sharks on the Ebay forums that make any contributions from outside their 'clic' seem very unwelcome. I really hope I can make it work on Ebid as I don't want to return to Ebay and their constant changes and attitude towards private sellers but i've got over 300 books i need to move and it's totally the wrong time of year for car boot selling.

View Tallshrew's Feedback (+774)
    All-About Tallshrew
    View Tallshrew's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Do books sell on ebid?

Know exactly what you mean about ebay forums but where you said sharks I would have no hesitation in saying trolls. For example, there's one troll on there who's answered almost every single one of the very many posts that complain about the new postage fee with some mean spirited claptrap just for the sake of an argument though he claims to be uninterested in the matter himself. I too have found ebid forums to be generally positive, friendly and helpful by comparison.

As for books - well it's not just an ebid issue but postal prices on books make it difficult to compete with the likes of Amazon on overall price even if you're virtually giving them away and the fact that some people are pretty much giving them away doesn't help either. There are exceptions though - any rare, collectable or especially desirable for some other reason (signed, first edition perhaps etc) still have a fair chance and certain genres can work better too - military is one example I can think of. Text books that feature on college course lists can do well this time of year and students can have some success selling last year's books. As a British seller one tip I would give you (if I'm not being too presumptuous) would be to look out for books that are thin and light enough to ship in Royal Mail's "large letter" price band as the price difference between LL and "small parcel" is quite big and will allow you to price more competitively thus with more chance of a sale. If you're Seller+ or Platinum you will have the major advantage of getting them on Google Shopping. Finally cross your fingers and keep smiling.
    Last edited by Tallshrew; 18th September 2013 at 04:05 AM.

Forum Lurker
    West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View Spot50's Feedback (+152)
    All-About Spot50
    View Spot50's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the advice Tallshrew, there are some military book to be listed, so I'll put them on next. I also used to sell 'true crime'. ' childhood memoir' and 'celebrity biographies' but they don't seem to move here. Your suggestion on student books is a good one too, my daughter has just gone away to university this month and I bought her 'Student Grub'm a book to help her with basic cooking and budgeting, I actually bought it twice so have listed the duplicate book thinking along the same lines as you but still no takers so far.

I think I'll list up to 100 books all on '7 days from 1st bid' and sit back for a month..if nothing sells I'll just have to rethink. I think Ebay have made a gigantic error of judgement with their FVF policy and may have to backtrack but it'll stick in my throat to have to go back and wait for their next anti private-seller move..
    Last edited by Spot50; 18th September 2013 at 07:06 AM.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View gyronny's Feedback (+1772)
    All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

Tallshrew seems to have covered most of it, I can add that social networking and such are recommended by most of the members here.
    I haven't pursued that route myself, being a barbarian where that sort of thing is concerned, but it seems to work for others.
    If you're here, you might as well list as many books as you have, it costs nothing extra if you have already paid your life membership.
    Don't fall into the trap of many on here and charge more than you would over there, fees are minimal and this should reflect in your prices.
    I believe in good packing and sell mainly hardbacks, so my postage is all based on small parcel rate plus 20p for the boxes I use.
    There is a fine line between keeping postage down and having damaged books delivered.
    My sales have been slow here, I do much better on Amazon, but as I said, I don't put the time into self promotion that I should, too many other things going on in my spare time
    Seek out some of the guides available by the very helpful members here.
    I walked away from selling on ebay when they killed the feedback system and just buy the odd item there now.
    Best of luck
    Mike

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you sell the right kind of books (size) you can beat Amazon on price every time.
    I can pick up vintage paperbacks under 250 gramms weight and under 2.5cm thick in good nick for 10p.

I offer them at 50p and send as a large letter for under £2 all inc.

Amazon charge £2.80 just for the postage!

View sucadot's Feedback (+845)
    All-About sucadot
    View sucadot's Listings
    Forum Posts

Without a BIN price your books won't get uploaded onto google which is where a lot of buyers find eBid - there's more info here in Astral's helpful guide -

http://www.mootango.webspace.virginm...idkb.htm#a0040

Welcome and good luck
    [SIGPIC]
    view my listings here

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Books are a dying category!

So it will be a long term goal to sell those books. (so you need to be realistic)

Everyone has books they'd like to sell.

But ebid is a great site.

Forum Newbie
    View christyc9's Feedback (+290)
    All-About christyc9
    View christyc9's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Books are a dying category!
    I guess I'm out of date...as I still prefer reading printed material than ebook.

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christyc9 View Post
    I guess I'm out of date...as I still prefer reading printed material than ebook.
    Me too. Whether pre-loved or new. Books are great for personal pleasure and as gifts. All my family and our friends love to receive books for birthdays and for Christmas.

Maybe book sales did slow with the advent of the e-books and K.....s, but I think the initial surge in sales of these items has reached a plateau and the joy of books in printed form is returning.

Happy reading!

Name:  book rule.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  2.2 KB
    Last edited by Tiskets; 18th September 2013 at 03:05 PM.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi There
    I sell audio books and usually am cheaper than the river except where they offer them at silly prices like 1p. Most of my audio books go small package at £2.60 + 20p for packaging but a few can go as LL. I do offer a few other books mostly non fiction and these do sit a while. I did sell mass market paperbacks but ended up taking over 1000 to the skip at christmas as I couldnt compete with the river and even the charity shop said there were too many. Some were brand new but i couldnt even give them away on freecycle.

I wish you good luck and hope you get some sales soon. (adding the isbn and a buy it now price will get them listed on Google)
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Thread Information