eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got Bit by the Ebay Scammer bug .

Default Re: Got Bit by the Ebay Scammer bug .

Generally these people will not have done this sort of thing just the once. And companies like eBay should be able to spot this sort of thing a mile off. In this particular case it does not say that the buyer was claiming the wrong cards were sent, simply that they filed a complaint. It might be a bit late but the cards returned would have contained all sorts of evidence that the police could possibly use, unfortunately if the seller has handled them this becomes less useful.

One point that should concern all sellers is how little concern the police and companies like eBay treat this type of case. Sellers worldwide probably lose millions a year, and the scammers seem to carry on unhindered. It needs a few doors kicking in at 6am and a few of these people receiving custodial sentences in order to restore a bit of faith in the system.

At times simply the threat of police action can be enough. These scammers are generally onto a nice little earner and the threat of losing that can be enough to get them to return the correct goods or the money.

Personally if this happened to me for that amount I would have contacted the police before eBay. These scammers have got to be stopped and the only way that will happen is when they stop getting away with it and get that early morning call.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    Generally these people will not have done this sort of thing just the once. And companies like eBay should be able to spot this sort of thing a mile off. In this particular case it does not say that the buyer was claiming the wrong cards were sent, simply that they filed a complaint. It might be a bit late but the cards returned would have contained all sorts of evidence that the police could possibly use, unfortunately if the seller has handled them this becomes less useful.

One point that should concern all sellers is how little concern the police and companies like eBay treat this type of case. Sellers worldwide probably lose millions a year, and the scammers seem to carry on unhindered. It needs a few doors kicking in at 6am and a few of these people receiving custodial sentences in order to restore a bit of faith in the system.

At times simply the threat of police action can be enough. These scammers are generally onto a nice little earner and the threat of losing that can be enough to get them to return the correct goods or the money.

Personally if this happened to me for that amount I would have contacted the police before eBay. These scammers have got to be stopped and the only way that will happen is when they stop getting away with it and get that early morning call.
    It would be interesting to hear/see if the police in UK would actually do anything more than file a report. I experienced a little incident with my Dad via a telephone scam. I contacted our local police gave them the guys phone number along with the details of instructions the scammer gave to my Dad. I even called the number and spoke with the idiot. He basically laughed about the situation. It appeared to be a no brainer to me to follow through with the instructions given and have police waiting at the receiving end to arrest the person who showed up to collect the money.
    Police wanted nothing to do with it. All they would do is file a report. They said there are so many scams going on nowadays they just wait for some to get caught then gather up any evidence they may have on file to increase charges against them. I have no idea how they plan on catching any scammer when they won't lift a finger to catch them in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    It would be interesting to hear/see if the police in UK would actually do anything more than file a report. I experienced a little incident with my Dad via a telephone scam. I contacted our local police gave them the guys phone number along with the details of instructions the scammer gave to my Dad. I even called the number and spoke with the idiot. He basically laughed about the situation. It appeared to be a no brainer to me to follow through with the instructions given and have police waiting at the receiving end to arrest the person who showed up to collect the money.
    Police wanted nothing to do with it. All they would do is file a report. They said there are so many scams going on nowadays they just wait for some to get caught then gather up any evidence they may have on file to increase charges against them. I have no idea how they plan on catching any scammer when they won't lift a finger to catch them in the first place.
    That is exactly the reason there are so many. But if enough people start reporting them it gets to the stage where it will spoil their statistics if they do nothing. If it is reported it will have to be logged, if enough of these scams are logged they will have to act. There is also the chance that others have reported the scammer. If it is a no brainer for a conviction due to plenty of victim they might act.

Forum Lurker
    View stampsandcoins1's Feedback (+272)
    All-About stampsandcoins1
    View stampsandcoins1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ebay always find in favour of the buyer even if the seller has moved Heaven and Earth to try and resolve the problem. I had a buyer return an item to me in a recorded delivery envelope - EMPTY. Because the buyer put in a tracking number ebay found in his favour. I had an empty envelope and £50 out of pocket. The vast majority of us try and sell our wares openly and honestly but are sometimes are scammed by buyers, hopefully few and far between.

Thread Information