eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone a Wireless Router Expert?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Anyone a Wireless Router Expert?

Have a Netgear WNR2200 N300 wireless router. Have never had anything connected to it wirelessly before but now trying to connect a Kindle Fire. Both the router and Kindle are supposed to support 802.11n standard.

The best link speed I have seen is 72Mbps, but often 54Mbps; this is even with the tablet right next to the router with signal strength reading 'Excellent'.

This doesn't seem right to me - although I am a total numpty about this wireless stuff. Should I be expecting better? If so, any suggestions?

Forum Newbie
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View girlracer's Feedback (+469)
    All-About girlracer
    View girlracer's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Anyone a Wireless Router Expert?

Have you tried installing the latest updates?

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by girlracer View Post
    Have you tried installing the latest updates?
    Yup! The router software is at the latest revision and the Kindle auto-updated itself this morning - so both should be fine.

I don't know if I am being unrealistic in my expectations. I'd like to know I am not before I tackle any support lines (I don't want to be fobbed off).

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

It is a long time that I have tried anything with a wireless router, so I am not up to speed with the latest spec, although I do know that the spec you quoted should in theory have a speed of up to 600Mbits.

Do the new wireless routers still have channels if they do try different ones to find the best speed, you could be getting interference from other electronic equipment nearby.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by girlracer View Post
    I can't see that that applies. It is the actual link speed between the router and tablet that seems low - as opposed to the browser performance. If the link speed is 54Mbps then that is the maximum data rate that is ever going to reach the browser surely?

It also says to use WEP, but that is not compatible (or even selectable) with N300, only b/g networks - which have a max rate of 54 Mbps so rather defeats what I am after trying to do.

Had already turned off cloud caching - but setting it on makes no difference to the link speed.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock07 View Post
    It is a long time that I have tried anything with a wireless router, so I am not up to speed with the latest spec, although I do know that the spec you quoted should in theory have a speed of up to 600Mbits.
    That's what I, in my wireless innocence, expected to see (or close to it) as a link speed with the tablet right next to the router. I expected some drop-off with distance and obstructions between the two

Do the new wireless routers still have channels if they do try different ones to find the best speed, you could be getting interference from other electronic equipment nearby.
    The default setting is auto - which I expect seeks out the best to use. Have tried setting the channel to use but it makes no difference to the link speed.
    Last edited by astral276; 30th May 2013 at 12:27 PM.

I know in the router settings there is a section where the wireless speed conections can be changed changed because when i had the router i limited my sons speed to 54mbps cant remember where the setting was since i no longer have that modem. I will see if i can find the info.

You might have to go into the routers admin panel. The max speed looks to be 300mbps. What color is your internet light on the router?
    Last edited by CopperLocker; 5th June 2013 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperLocker View Post
    You might have to go into the routers admin panel. The max speed looks to be 300mbps. What color is your internet light on the router?
    Thanks Copper, that is what i was thinking but couldnt remember what it was called lol.

Thread Information