Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Description of Goods etc .....

Forum Newbie
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View girlracer's Feedback (+469)
    All-About girlracer
    View girlracer's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Description of Goods etc .....

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    No I wouldn't but before I became aware that they were not genuine 925 i would have answered stamped 925. I am not trying to stick up for a fraudster just letting you know that even sellers can be caught out too
    I'm sure they can, it's a minefield. There are acid kits out there and most sellers have them, but I twice asked this seller if they could assure me these chains were 92.5% silver and each time the question was avoided.
    My original question was more to do with clarifying ebid rules on listing precious metal jewellery, but I could find nothing in the "help" section, hence my query.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by girlracer View Post
    My original question was more to do with clarifying ebid rules on listing precious metal jewellery, but I could find nothing in the "help" section, hence my query.
    From eBid's banned items list:

Any item that is illegal to sell under any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation. Items to which a false or illegal description is applied.
    You say yourself that there are regulations to the marking and describing of precious metal items, therefore eBid's rule is that such listings must conform to relevant laws/regulations.

Any sale/purchase is a contract between the seller/buyer. Those two parties are responsible for ensuring the contract is valid and upheld.
    Last edited by astral276; 4th May 2013 at 08:13 PM.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

If an item is stamped 925 (or any other standard mark) & it proves not to be, then it is fraud pure & simple!
    There are world conventional standards governed by CIBJO, the world jewellery confederation, & all sellers should follow their guidelines, or face potential prosecution.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...45960087,d.aGc

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post
    If an item is stamped 925 (or any other standard mark) & it proves not to be, then it is fraud pure & simple!
    There are world conventional standards governed by CIBJO, the world jewellery confederation, & all sellers should follow their guidelines, or face potential prosecution.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...45960087,d.aGc
    Does this apply even if i list an item marked 925 as silvertone and not as silver
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Any piece of gold or sterling anything that has a low price - unless it's a starting bid with a reserve - should be subject to questioning. It could be stolen or fake. And a full money back guarantee is a must. Of course this doesn't mean that all is well. There are the hit a run scammers out there. When you shop for auctioned gold and silver anything, definitely ask questions if you're wanting to feel at ease if you're making a bid. If the seller doesn't respond, a red flag should come up. Look at their feedback. Google them. Do what ever you need to do to find out about the seller. But be sure that you're buying true precious metals and not base plated metals. It is an unfortunate time that a lot of plated material is coming in from over seas that are marked as precious metal items.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

First of all lets understand what the marks mean.
    Think of it as the number of parts making up an item.
    In this instance, pure Silver = 1000

The British standard of Sterling Silver is now called 925, which means the item is made from 925 parts of pure silver & the other 75 parts are various alloy metals.
    Any item stamped 925, should be that standard across the whole piece.

If I sell a necklace, then to call it 925, the catch, bail, links & in fact all parts that make up the necklace, must be 925.

The problem occurs when somebody puts a 925 catch, on a plated chain & describes the whole item as 925.
    That is where the fraud, knowingly or otherwise happens.

Proper full description & disclosure of your item is what's needed.
    The same can be said in relation to gold & other precious metal items.

I hope this helps.

I've sold sterling silver on here, many times I got questioned as to it being real or fake due to the low price I sold it at (99p - £2.99)

It was real, it never got a neg, every customer that purchased it from me was happy with it.

I've got more to list of exactly the same items in near future. I have no worries about it's quality as I know the high street store that used to sell it as being a good retailer, and a name most UK people are aware of, but I am not allowed to put the store name within the description. The store is like a catalogue shop and many many branches over the UK.

Just because someone sells cheap, don't mean fake, in my case it simply means I sell with a small profit on each item.

Hallmarking is a legal standard for the sale of precious metals in the UK, btw.
    Not quite true silver items under a certain weight (4grams I think) do not have to have a hallmark and needed only be stamped 925

Forum Newbie
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View girlracer's Feedback (+469)
    All-About girlracer
    View girlracer's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    Not quite true silver items under a certain weight (4grams I think) do not have to have a hallmark and needed only be stamped 925
    If you read my following post, you'll find I state the weight exemption
    It's approx 7 grams, btw!

The present scrap price of silver is about 40p/gram, so if you have a silver item weighing 4 grams, for example, you can expect to walk into any decent jewellers and expect to get £1.60 for it.
    Hardly worth listing a 4 gram chain for £1,60 including postage?
    It's a way to lose money, not take a profit.

If you are listing hundreds of 925 silver at less than scrap price, that sends a message to me that it's fake.

If you are listing hundreds of 925 silver at less than scrap price, that sends a message to me that it's fake.

But that don't mean your message is correct.

Thread Information