eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from a new member and a question about the activity on this site

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View Silvertrader's Feedback (+408)
    All-About Silvertrader
    View Silvertrader's Listings
    Forum Posts

Unhappy Greetings from a new member and a question about the activity on this site

Hi people,
    I thought i would join up here and sell my coins rather then using eBay but am starting to think I'm wasting my time lol
    I've placed a few coins on auction here over the last week and not received a single bid ? is it me ?
    I thought at first that this might be due to me being new on here and not having any reviews.
    but then i had a look at what other people are selling and they don't seem to get any bids on their items either !
    do people just tend to buy outright on here or am i completely missing something and no one bids on anything lol
    I sincerely hope that's not the case, but would like some feedback from some older members who might know better then me.
    thanks in advance Martin

Default Re: Greetings from a new member and a question about the activity on this site

Buy It Now is the most popular listing type, there are few bidding wars on eBid, but you have a reasonable start price. You might find you get a bid in the last few minutes, I know that is how I bid on auctions.

Most buyers find items through Google and Google Shopping, if I was you I would use the Platinum Listing at a cost of £0.05 as that will get you on Google Shopping. Take a look at http://uk.ebid.net/help_selling.php#48 for what else you need to do.

The buyers are there, I sell most days and am averaging around 50 sales a month this year. It is a case of getting them to find you.

Another thing is making yourself more visible, and this would require more listings. I frequently get buyers finding me through one item and buying another. Be patient, make a few changes and you will get the sales.

All-About Silvertrader
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Greetings from a new member and a question about the activity on this site

Thanks for the advice mate
    I have set up my ebid shop

http://uk.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=...e=silvertrader

and sent off my request for a Google unique id exemption
    the silver coins that i sell do not have a ISBN/UPC/EAN/MPN (Barcode) so that might have been an issue for me.

will read up and work on everything else over the next few days while i try to get used to this site
    feel free to comment on my exploits
    sincerely Martin

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would advise that you have thumbnails as most people don't click on auctions with no picture. Also, get rid of the reserve it's a waste of time as kreativebargains said 'there are few bidding wars on eBid'. Start the bidding at a price you're willing to accept and also have a Buy it Now price. btw you've got a duplicate listing which is likely to be removed, give it a different title to stay within the rules. Good luck

All-About Silvertrader
    Forum Posts

Thanks mate,
    I was going to wait the few days for the Google product code exemption to come through before adding thumbnails etc.
    I'll change the prices based on your advice to start at a price i would except
    not sure i want to pay for the buy now option until i am convinced that this site works lol but will keep that in mind.
    As for the duplicate post does this mean i would have to change the auction name every time i sell one of my coins ?
    because i import the coins as described in the add in the mint tubes so depending on the coin that's 20 to 25 coins in each
    wait i just had a revelation i suppose the re enlist option kicks in as soon as i sell one and with the buy now option the same would apply !!
    I think I'm getting there lol

All-About Silvertrader
    Forum Posts

Ok I cant remove the reserve at the moment so kept it at £1 over the asking price
    sadly the duration of the auction has changed.
    I'll have a closer look at things later on and consider doing the buy now option etc
    removed the duplicate add so i wont get reported for being an ebid newbie
    thanks for the help

Forum Newbie
    View fyr1's Feedback (+3718)
    All-About fyr1
    View fyr1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I joined also after being with Ebay from its inception. I had a feedback problem with a buyer that did not go through with a deal ( buyer wanted an open odometer statement on an auto title so he could resell vehicle with less miles ) Ebay allowed him to leave me negative feedback. That was enough for me. apparently the biggest problems on these auction sites is feedback. The sites have not learned what an auction is and what due diligence is. If I buy a piece of crap because I did not inspect it or did not ask questions it is my fault not the seller. I allow all my items to be inspected as any auction gallery does. Even coins that are graded are a problem if not inspected. You would expect graded coins to be safe from the premier grading services but it is in fact not the case. I recently bought MS 70 silver eagles that were clearly not MS70. I have discussed this problem with PCGS and have never received an answer as to how they good grade a coin the way they did with obvious wear or flaws. so the moral of the story is inspect what you bid on ask a lot of questions and remember this is an auction. The far biggest problem with ebid is the fact rare items that are actively being searched for and may be for sale on ebid do not show up on Google. So sellers do not get the traffic that other sites get, which in turn reduces sales and the 2 % margin that e bid gets. I am sure ebid has figured it out if sellers are not selling than ebid is not making money either.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fyr1 View Post
    The far biggest problem with ebid is the fact rare items that are actively being searched for and may be for sale on ebid do not show up on Google.
    The problem is not with eBid it is with the Sellers who are not using eBid to their best advantage:

http://uk.ebid.net/help_selling.php#48

A lot of new Sellers come to eBid expecting it to be the same here as elsewhere - which of course it is not; every site is unique in its own right. Does every Restaurant have the same Menu? lol!

Hi! Welcome to the Forum

All-About Silvertrader
    Forum Posts

OK guys, you seem like a friendly enough bunch so i have payed for seller+ for 30 days to see how it goes
    thanks for the warm welcome cleaver lol
    thanks also for the advice kreative and olivia
    and fyr1 i know what you mean about coin graders! here in the UK its completely unregulated and a bit of a joke at best, but that's mostly in regards to old coins and should not really apply to silver eagles which are brought mostly for the silver content, that being said you should not get coins that are scratched or dirty and expect a premium on them when you do buy them.
    As my adds say when i receive delivery of my coins ( only 2013 )i put on my cotton gloves and check each coin with a rare earth magnet ( even though i do get them from the mint ) then place them directly in the airtight coin capsule. luckily I've never yet received any bad ones ( milky stains, damaged or fakes, etc )
    but then i never buy them off Ebay lol
    I'm updating my bid shop as i go, so please feel free to to give me anymore hints or advise.
    it would be great if this was to work. i hate handing over nearly 16% in fee's to ebay and paypal on every sale
    its not worth the bother apart from collecting a customer base.
    One quick question; is there a limit to the amount of auctions/ items i can post in my Ebid shop ?
    Last edited by Silvertrader; 15th April 2013 at 07:44 AM. Reason: question

All-About Silvertrader
    Forum Posts

back now with avatar and signature
    Press below to link to my shop

http://silvertrader.ebid.net/

Thread Information