eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There was a phone call to my parents...

Forum Newbie
    All-About tracey001
    View tracey001's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default There was a phone call to my parents...

Hi, Recently there was a phone call to my parents requesting payment of the remaining debt to Wescot and of course my mother was surprised when she heard it and me too. I don't know if it was just a trip or a mistake but actually my parents were pressure to hear it. Because they don't owe anyone anything. I felt sorry for my parents.

Default Re: There was a phone call to my parents...

I care for my mother and am with her every afternoon for several hours. There seems to be a whole industry devoted to seeking out elderly people vulnerable to this sort of call. Most afternoons I intercept one or two of them.

Recently she has been called because her computer has developed a fault, her washing machine warranty is about to run out and they are replying to her enquiry about increasing the insurance on her fridge-freezer. The thing is, she lives in sheltered housing and has none of these things, they are (I assume) just phishing for her bank details.

As a precaution I keep her current account balance as low as possible (transferring any surplus to a branch based savings account)and spoken to the branch about alerting me if there is any unusual activity.

What disgusts me most is that twice they have alerted me to unrecognised payments. Both times they were to well known UK insurance companies, using non-UK call centres to sign her up for expensive and un-unnecessary policies.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

It is remarkable how many unethical people are out in the world. It's very sad that they apparently think it is ok to steal people's money. And no doubt it would be hard to get any money back. Police don't seem to take much interest in thefts or coersion, I think.

Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

I've just realised that this thread is probably in the wrong Forum.

I've been lucky so far, being UK companies that have signed her up, one mention of her diagnosis for Vascular Dementia and I've been given an immediate refund. They know they have done wrong.

But how many similar cases are there where the victim has either paid a non-UK company, or doesn't have anyone to watch out for them?
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

We get approximately one call a day - usually between 9 & 10 am. They are, indeed, pshishing calls and I'm increasingly rude to them all.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    We get approximately one call a day - usually between 9 & 10 am. They are, indeed, pshishing calls and I'm increasingly rude to them all.
    Make life easier - and safer - and purchase a call blocking phone. Since having our BT one we have not had one call in over two years. Bliss! Our family numbers along with doctor, dentist etc. are all in the 'allowed' list and we can add to that if and when necessary. Money well spent.

ps. I know that BT now block certain calls, but it is minimal compared to blocking ALL unwanted calls.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by love_to_stitch View Post

Make life easier - and safer - and purchase a call blocking phone. Since having our BT one we have not had one call in over two years. Bliss! Our family numbers along with doctor, dentist etc. are all in the 'allowed' list and we can add to that if and when necessary. Money well spent.

ps. I know that BT now block certain calls, but it is minimal compared to blocking ALL unwanted calls.
    I couldn't use a call blocking phone. I get too many calls which I cannot predict but which I do want to receive. Also our doctor's surgery and hospitals all withhold their numbers as do a number of friends so I cannot block withheld numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    I couldn't use a call blocking phone. I get too many calls which I cannot predict but which I do want to receive. Also our doctor's surgery and hospitals all withhold their numbers as do a number of friends so I cannot block withheld numbers.

None of that is a problem, Tony. You put your friends' numbers in your allowed list. Others simply announce themselves. For instance: our charity shop collected from us this morning and when they rang our number, they had to announce themselves and we press 1 to allow. Otherwise they can leave a message. Witheld such as GP are on our 'allowed' list so they announce themselves and we accept.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10027)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by love_to_stitch View Post
    None of that is a problem, Tony. You put your friends' numbers in your allowed list. Others simply announce themselves. For instance: our charity shop collected from us this morning and when they rang our number, they had to announce themselves and we press 1 to allow. Otherwise they can leave a message. Witheld such as GP are on our 'allowed' list so they announce themselves and we accept.
    A friend of ours has the system where callers have to announce themselves. A lot of times itt doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    A friend of ours has the system where callers have to announce themselves. A lot of times itt doesn't work.
    Ours has never failed us. Wouldn't be without it.

Thread Information