Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Can anyone help - windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by DandC_Warehouse View Post
    Ubuntu is the best OS out there...luv it
    I must admit I have been hooked on Ubuntu for over 5 years & I just love the 4 desktop upgrade on the latest version. But.... I have now got hooked on Mint (Mate) & whilst I have both OS's as well as Windows I'm using Mint 99.9% of the time.
    I think the big upset with the latest Ubuntu upgrade was the side icon bar..... reducing the screen width at all was just silly IMO & a lot of folk have lost the plot with it because of that. Even icon size reduction didn't work on my lappy - had to scroll to right & left to see the whole page of anything. But that 4 desktop
    icon is superb! Wish they would put it on Mint.

Name:  linux-lovers.gif
Views: 7
Size:  16.6 KB
    Last edited by cheaver; 12th November 2014 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MelmacALF View Post
    I won't be going anywhere near win8, will use win 7 after xp support stops next year for stuff that MUST have windows to run. I use xubuntu for most things and wine to run office2k etc :-)

Also if you are thinking of buying office 2013 be aware of BIG changes to the licensing as microsoft seem to want to start charging yearly subscriptions.

If you buy a retail office 2013 and install it onto a PC, its on that PC FOREVER. You can no longer take it off and put it on a new PC you might get in the future, the license only covers install to 1 individual PC forever.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02..._no_transfers/

http://www.zdnet.com/big-changes-in-...ty-7000011389/
    Why buy MS Office? For most purposes Libre Office is fine. It even reads and writes MS file formats, if you really must lock yourself in to proprietary formats!

I agree with the comments above about Ubuntu Linux and Mint Linux, they're great. The problem with them is the same as with Libre Office: no advertising, so people don't know there's alternatives. And some people won't touch anything that isn't heavily branded and advertised -- like Heinz baked beans and Kellogs cornflakes.

Unlike most products, with software, price and quality aren't related to one another.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes telling the average computer user to change to Linux is blowing in the wind.

Liunx has been around for years and people still use Windows. (linux is big in large companies back offices) but it will never go viral or mainstream, kind of like ebid verus ebay. Who really wants to learn a whole new system.

And the Office alternatives are NOT as good as Office, eg they don't have Access Database.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Yes telling the average computer user to change to Linux is blowing in the wind.

Liunx has been around for years and people still use Windows. (linux is big in large companies back offices) but it will never go viral or mainstream, kind of like ebid verus ebay. Who really wants to learn a whole new system.

And the Office alternatives are NOT as good as Office, eg they don't have Access Database.
    The Raspberry Pi is a big hit with Schools - at £25 it is a great replacement when a computer breaks down in classes so they are being supplied there ~ with Linux on them!!!

Youngsters can then continue their classes uninterrupted.

Linux is increasing in popularity ~ it is free ~ and I doubt very much that in the grand scheme of things most folks would know what Access Database is lol!!!

The Linux OS's are far more attractive in their efficiency ~ no anti virus needed; no cleaning or scans; up & running within seconds of being switched on. Updates in a minute or so ~ on the infrequent occasion it needs them. Windows??? Windows is a joke & a huge time waster.

edit: forgot to add, a friend of mine switched to Ubuntu from Windows just 10 days ago ~ over the moon with it he is ~ and he is 86 years young! A neighbour of mine is in her late 70's & is planning on switching when her current puter expires (soon, I should think, thanks to Windows).

Name:  linux-lovers.gif
Views: 7
Size:  16.6 KB

Last edited by cheaver; 12th November 2014 at 07:48 PM.

Your comments demonstrate the problem, it's one of perception, not reality. "Who wants to learn a whole new system". 10 years ago I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly. But there's been a huge convergence in systems. Today it's as easy to switch to Ubuntu as it is to switch to Apple OS X. And if you can cope with switching to an iPhone or Android you can certainly cope with Ubuntu. What's new to learn? You click on an icon, an app starts. If you're used to using Firefox on Windows it works exactly the same on any of the other systems it runs on, including Ubuntu/Mint/etc. How hard is that?

I'm giggling at the idea that Access d/b is the pinnacle against which others should be compared!

Libre Office has its own solution: http://www.libreoffice.org/features/base/

But let's not go down that road. How many of the MS Office users reading this thread are using Access? Very few, I'd guess, so they're not concerned with migration of an Access database.

I find many of the retired people I help have bought MS Office, yet all they do with it is write the occasional letter or create a small spreadsheet. It's tragic, they could do all they need (and far more) with a free open alternative (even on Windows, no need to switch to Linux). Worse still, they then get upgrade invitations and shell out another wodge of their pension on an upgrade they don't need.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

All-About Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts

@JOonwash
    I take you point on most of your comments.

But until people are not happy with Windows, they will not look for an alternative.

I have lots of internal systems set up and lots of programs and utilities that all use Windows and there is no way I would change.

Windows does all I want and it works.

People have been pushing Linux (free) to the masses for the last 10 years and have got nowhere versus Windows (paid) just as ebid have been pushing ebay users for the last 10 years and got nowhere.

@JOonwash
    I take you point on most of your comments.

But until people are not happy with Windows, they will not look for an alternative.

I have lots of internal systems set up and lots of programs and utilities that all use Windows and there is no way I would change.

Windows does all I want and it works.

People have been pushing Linux (free) to the masses for the last 10 years and have got nowhere versus Windows (paid) just as ebid have been pushing ebay users for the last 10 years and got nowhere.
    Hi Julie, you're right, it needs something major to take people out of their comfort zone. We saw it with feeBay when they changed things in a big way and ebid gained a lot of sellers. Windows works fine for you and I'm comfortable with that and wouldn't want you to try to get you to change. I find that the times when I pick up a lot of interest in Ubuntu is when someone has been hit by malware. I recover their files, fix their system, but inevitably they learn that I recovered their files by using a Ubuntu live cd. And they learn that I've never had a worry about malware with Ubuntu. "Hmmm, what is this Ubu-thing, show me!".

But then they stick with what they know. A few months later they're back, their computer is held to ransom again, perhaps some scam that claims they have a speeding ticket and they need to pay $100 (to the Russian mafia!). By now they've discovered their granddaughter is using Ubuntu (as 20 million others are) and she really likes all the free games. This time enough is enough and they ask me to install it, so I repartition the disk, install Ubuntu and they have a choice at start up, they can run Windows or Ubuntu.

Change doesn't happen instantly. And there is no one solution that's right for everybody.

All-About Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts

@Johnwash

Good skills!

Is the fact that Ubuntu does not get viruses due to the Ubuntu system or the fact that like Apples no one bothers to write viruses for it as not so many people use it?

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

i would really like to switch - but i dont know how. After trying to install mint as a dual boot when my new laptop was only 1 day old and it failing to start up even in safe mode i gave up. I would also be worried about the drivers etc and that my most used programs would work.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Thread Information