eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liberty Dime Question

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Liberty Dime Question

I am wondering if it is a deliberate design. I did a little research and came up with Adolph Alexander Weinman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolph_Alexander_Weinman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dime_(U...2.80.931945.29

Last edited by jeweleffects; 3rd September 2012 at 04:21 AM.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    I am so totally not an expert on coins......it just looks to me like the three was printed lower, as numbers don't slide there on their own. I don't know if the edge of your coin is perfect or not....the shot could be distorted because of the angle of your pic.......either way, the three looks out of place. Might be worth getting an expert opinion on. I think there are a number of people on here who are quite good with coins.

I assume you have looked at coin books for mis-strikes that year? Know any appraisers? I don't know how much something like that adds to a coin. Good luck!!
    Know what, the 3 is a bit lower on this coin than on a 1943 I found on the Bay; also the top left portion is shorter on this coin.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    I am wondering if it is a deliberate design. I did a little research and came up with Adolph Alexander Weinman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolph_Alexander_Weinman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dime_(U...2.80.931945.29

The articles did mention various defects in the Mercuries for different years, but I didn't see a 1943 in either article. Thanks for links.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

found this one - which doesn't look like yours

http://directsale.policeauctions.com...30240203869-11
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5856)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    found this one - which doesn't look like yours

http://directsale.policeauctions.com...30240203869-11
    Thanks Madelaine. You are quite right, the 1943 here does not look like mines. Does not have near the rainbow toning mine's has either. I just adjusted my bid price up to approximate their price. I also stuck a reserve and bin on it, because I do want it looked at. I think the coin is simply lovely.

P.S. That 1943 coin looks like it is a part of a Sheriff's Sale! They usually dramatically reduce pricing.... Unless it is just someone trying to drum up business with an attention getting website.

Thumbs up Re: Liberty Dime Answer

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    Can anyone familiar with date on Liberty Dime please give some feedback about this coin. The # 3 appears a bit odd shaped/positioned in my opinion. I do not have another 1943 mercury to compare. Any other comments concerning the coin would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a six figure sum of these coins in my "collection", having accumulated same for more than 40 years, and several of this date coins in front of me with an 10 power eye loupe. After reviewing some of uninformed responses, thought I'd better answer your question. There's virtually nothing wrong with the 3 placement in the date on your Fine condition coin, as the 3 tail normally extends ~20% below the end of the 4 tail. From your photo it appears the reason your coin looks strange is because your image indicates that the edge of your coin has been rolled inward towards the date.

This condition is observed when you follow the flat rim around the coin counter-clockwise to below the 4 tail where the flat rim disappears, and both the tail of the 4 and 3 are distorted towards the coin center. The flat rim surface should should be continuous 360 degrees around the coin. The distortion condition can also be observed in the 4 which should appear virtually identical to the four which I just typed in this sentence, having included angles of 45, 45, and 90 degrees. The image appears to show that the horizontal line in the 4 has been distorted from a straight condition.

Only an "in-hand" examination could determine whether the supposed damage is post mintage or "as struck", but my familiarity with this coin and conditions would have me venture an opinion that the supposed condition occurred after leaving the mint process.

If you need additional information, send me a message, richfoss@localnet.com

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Liberty Dime Answer

Quote Originally Posted by poorrichardstuff View Post
    I have a six figure sum of these coins in my "collection", having accumulated same for more than 40 years, and several of this date coins in front of me with an 10 power eye loupe. After reviewing some of uninformed responses, thought I'd better answer your question. There's virtually nothing wrong with the 3 placement in the date on your Fine condition coin, as the 3 tail normally extends ~20% below the end of the 4 tail. From your photo it appears the reason your coin looks strange is because your image indicates that the edge of your coin has been rolled inward towards the date.

This condition is observed when you follow the flat rim around the coin counter-clockwise to below the 4 tail where the flat rim disappears, and both the tail of the 4 and 3 are distorted towards the coin center. The flat rim surface should should be continuous 360 degrees around the coin. The distortion condition can also be observed in the 4 which should appear virtually identical to the four which I just typed in this sentence, having included angles of 45, 45, and 90 degrees. The image appears to show that the horizontal line in the 4 has been distorted from a straight condition.

Only an "in-hand" examination could determine whether the supposed damage is post mintage or "as struck", but my familiarity with this coin and conditions would have me venture an opinion that the supposed condition occurred after leaving the mint process.

Thank you Richard, I really appreciate your assessment of the coin. I plan to have it looked at during a show. I will not take it back to my local shop again.

Quote Originally Posted by poorrichardstuff View Post

I agree with Richard. When I looked at the coin and went to several sites and looked as some of my own I figured that there was something wrong on the rim below the date. It looks like as if it has been pressed/squeezed by someone or something that not only effected the rim but the date also. I don't believe its an error coin.
    Last edited by CopperLocker; 8th October 2012 at 11:39 PM.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

It is very possible that it is not an error coin. I plan to have it looked at during next show I can make.

Thread Information