eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clearing A Computer

Forum Diehard
    View JimmyCee's Feedback (+85)
    All-About JimmyCee
    View JimmyCee's Listings
    Forum Posts

An excellent site for info such as this is smartcomputing.com this is the old PC Novice magazine of old.
    I have been a subscriber for more years than I like to admit..
    There is a tech forum open to subscribers that has answered many of my questions and I am sure much more to come.
    Up till this year one could get a 3 year subscription for about $60-$70 Thats over and a years subscription will now run $29.00
    There are great articles in layman's terms in this magazine and you are allowed a one time call with any problems with your comp, I know people who have used this feature and been very pleased with the outcome.
    Any one who uses computers will find this a great source of info.
    Also cnet.com would be another good site...
    I realize this isnt answering your question, however it may help on the road

Quote Originally Posted by aftech View Post
    When Windows formats the drive, it won't suicide!! It will wipe out any file except for the OS files so the hard drive will be empty of any user-created file. You need to format all the drives and partitions.
    Reinstallation of OS will result in wipe out too but you don't have the disk so formatting will do.
    [sigh] This is not true. I'm sorry to be following up this thread so late, but everyone here seems to be under the impression that formatting wipes out files. This is not true. It simply wipes out the directory.

To thoroughly clean a drive you need a program that overwrites the whole disk. For a well-known (but obviously not well known enough!) such program, completely free, go to www.dban.org. That will offer you downloads that will enable you to write a diskette or CD which will boot up in your computer and completely wipe your hard drive(s). BE CAREFUL, if you run that program and go past the initial warnings, it will make the data on your drive (even files that were temporary or deleted) totally unrecoverable.

It's been around for a number of years and does not contain malware. Do not download it from elsewhere, you won't know if someone else has slipped into it something nasty.

Reinstallation of Windows does NOT wipe out all your files, it just makes it difficult for the average user to recover them. I recently had to sort out someone's computer, where he had a power failure and the computer no longer started up. The problem was in fact due to the BIOS settings having become corrupted, but because he foolishly phoned Microsoft's help line, they ignored this and got him to reinstall Windows from scratch, overwriting the first part of the disk and losing all his data files. Nevertheless I was able to help him -- I put his drive into a Linux PC, ran recovery software and got back tens of thousands of files. Because the directories were destroyed, the filenames were lost, but the contents were still accessible.

If you don't have the original disks that came with the computer you either have to buy another copy of Microsoft Windows, or get a free operating system such as Ubuntu Linux. If you don't do much more on your computer than surf the web, write emails, and send letters, then you'll find little difference using Linux (except that you can worry a lot less about viruses and trojans). Go to www.lug.org.uk and find a user group in your area -- you'll usually find them very ready to help a new Linux user.
    Last edited by johnwash1; 28th November 2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    [sigh]

"If you don't have the original disks that came with the computer you either have to buy another copy of Microsoft Windows, or get a free operating system such as Ubuntu Linux. If you don't do much more on your computer than surf the web, write emails, and send letters, then you'll find little difference using Linux (except that you can worry a lot less about viruses and trojans). Go to www.lug.org.uk and find a user group in your area -- you'll usually find them very ready to help a new Linux user.
    I'm sorry to be late joining this thread too but have to agree with johnwash1.
    I am using Ubuntu (Linux) - I have both OS on my computer (XP & Ubuntu). Ubuntu is free OS with loads of free software & no hassles. A lot faster and safer than Windows. Boots up so fast and is quick to update & rarely needs cleans. No scanning for viruses either. Linux downloads a new Ubuntu OS every 6 months with all the latest on it - all for FREE! I can list items in a 5th of the time it takes me on XP. If you go down this route & get Ubuntu I will be here for you if you need any help until you get to grips with it. I also have WINE configured which means I can access my XP files whilst in Ubuntu if I have the need. (but I rarely want XP !)

View Barrattess's Feedback (+2717)
    All-About Barrattess
    View Barrattess's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi ...
    Can I ask a question as I am thinking of doing this on my laptop. What did you mean Johnwash1 with this :

"BE CAREFUL, if you run that program and go past the initial warnings, it will make the data on your drive (even files that were temporary or deleted) totally unrecoverable.

...I thought that was the whole idea of clearing the computer... I want this laptop completely clean :-)
    .... would there be a problem if it did totally wipe it?

Cheers

Have a click...You know you want to...

Forum Newbie
    View Tinkersink's Feedback (+3)
    All-About Tinkersink
    View Tinkersink's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default i may b able to help you there

if you can message me the make and model as well as which windows you operate i may be able to give you a reistallation disc to reboot from the restore partition on your hard drive if the system was made by a high end deals ie curry dixon time pc world dell to name a few

Quote Originally Posted by Barrattess View Post
    Hi ...
    Can I ask a question as I am thinking of doing this on my laptop. What did you mean Johnwash1 with this :

"BE CAREFUL, if you run that program and go past the initial warnings, it will make the data on your drive (even files that were temporary or deleted) totally unrecoverable.

...I thought that was the whole idea of clearing the computer... I want this laptop completely clean :-)
    .... would there be a problem if it did totally wipe it?

Cheers
    Hi B, If you're disposing of the laptop, that's the right thing to do. If someone else gets hold of it, all they will get is the same as if they went out and bought a new hard drive and installed it. My warning was aimed at anyone "just trying out" the program on their normal PC.

Having said all that, things are a little more complicated these days. Sometimes the manufacturer, instead of providing you with recovery media that will install a fresh system on a brand new drive in your PC, economise by putting the recovery software on a hidden part of the drive. This is infuriating (and when you buy a new computer you should question your prospective suppliers very carefully on this). It's infuriating because, if your hard drive fails, even though you can install a replacement, you don't have a way to install the software. Since hard drives usually last several years, most people don't run into this problem until it's far too late to get any useful help from the supplier.

Also, if you wipe your hard drive, although that solves your most important problem, obliterating your personal data, if you don't have a way of restoring the drive to its factory supplied condition then you've reduced possible resale value of your laptop.

It's possible to wipe most of the drive, leaving the recovery partition intact. I'd be able to do that if I had your pc in front of me, but I'm not sure I could reliably talk someone through it at a distance within a reasonable time frame.

Sorry I didn't respond v quickly, I don't always check the forums regularly, but I'm happy to be PM'd if I don't show up (or if PM isn't working, mail me at "ebidforumqq @ johnwash.co.uk").

What model of laptop is it?

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Default Re: Clearing A Computer

Listen to johnwash1, he speaks truth.
    I've got 23 years of IT experience under my belt and everything he has said so far is correct.

As for Linux, to cut down on hassles, run the 32 bit version if you want reasonable Adobe support. I'm running Ubuntu Studio x64 10.04 and love it for it's speed and stability but the annoyance of the lack of x64 support from Adobe has me dealing with a crashy flash plugin and no easy way to install air to use NinjaLister.
    Life is what happens while you're making other plans.
    My eBid Auctions: http://us.ebid.net/items/GuyllFyre

Quote Originally Posted by GuyllFyre View Post
    Listen to johnwash1, he speaks truth.
    I've got 23 years of IT experience under my belt and everything he has said so far is correct.
    Only so far though. At some point when they trust me I'll launch a "send me all your money" scheme!

Thanks Guy, sorry about my slow follow-up.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyllFyre View Post
    As for Linux, to cut down on hassles, run the 32 bit version if you want reasonable Adobe support. I'm running Ubuntu Studio x64 10.04 and love it for it's speed and stability but the annoyance of the lack of x64 support from Adobe has me dealing with a crashy flash plugin and no easy way to install air to use NinjaLister.
    Ah, Ninja Lister. When the idea was first floated I campaigned to have the API published so that rival listers could be implemented, giving users the freedom to choose best of breed. And I also suggested Ninja to be open source, with all the advantages of improved quality and peer review that would have brought. It's not as though Ninja is being sold or that there would be any benefit to eBid to have its internals kept secret. But the lads would never respond. Their loss.

Some people just don't see the benefit of software freedom. I'm glad you're enjoying Ubuntu Studio, Guy.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

The information on this thread will be very helpful when I am ready to do a system wipe out.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Clearing a computer? This worked for mine!

Thread Information