Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bah! Viruses.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Bah! Viruses.

Today the office internet surfing PC contracted a trojan, what's worse is that someone must have activated it because Firefox was being redirected to random anti-virus websites with bogus popups, the usual nonsense. AVG SBS claims to have healed the infection but Firefox was still compromised, and I won't take any chances; the whole PC needs to be formatted IMO.

The thing with AVG or any of these web security things is that it can only do so much for you - it will throw up warnings and stop signs galore, but people have become so used to clicking OK to get rid of such messages that they probably won't even read them and end up infecting the PC again.

To prevent further infections on this PC I am considering putting on Ubuntu linux. The users shouldn't care just as long as I make it really easy for them to run up a browser and surf the web, that's the only thing this PC is used for anyway.

Anyone got any suggestions for a free anti-virus checker that works well with Ubuntu? I have used ClamAV before now but that only does file scanning and not resident virus protection. Is there an Ubuntu edition of AVG? I'll have to investigate further. While I'm not particularly worried about the machine contracting a virus, I don't want inert infected files to be passed on, nor risk people being caught out by that 1% chance of having their email or bank passwords stolen by a keylogger or what ever.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

All-About heatemyfather
    Forum Posts

Ubuntu looks like being a success as a simple web browsing machine, it's all set up and happy as larry connected to our network. It's very easy to setup, the only problems I've had before with it were that for development type stuff Ubuntu is the wrong choice, but for web browsing this shouldn't matter.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces

Quote Originally Posted by heatemyfather View Post

Anyone got any suggestions for a free anti-virus checker that works well with Ubuntu? I have used ClamAV before now but that only does file scanning and not resident virus protection. Is there an Ubuntu edition of AVG? I'll have to investigate further. While I'm not particularly worried about the machine contracting a virus, I don't want inert infected files to be passed on, nor risk people being caught out by that 1% chance of having their email or bank passwords stolen by a keylogger or what ever.
    Off the top of his head (he is playing WOW) the one you have is what came to youngest.

He just came through and reckons there is a module you can add so you can scan the files. He had trouble with it so does not use it.
    Last edited by wizbooks; 17th December 2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added info
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Quote Originally Posted by heatemyfather View Post

Avira do a version for Linux, the following on their forums tells how to set it up for Ubuntu
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php...&postID=676362
    This was posted last year, but should still be the same.
    I use Avira for Windows, I prefer it to AVG or Avast.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

All-About heatemyfather
    Forum Posts

Thanks you two, I'll look into these.

Forum Newbie
    All-About paviya
    View paviya's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Bah! Viruses.

Nice sharing,thanks.......

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Comodo do a free AV package for Linux. I use their Windows AV+Firewall suite and have never had any problems with it.

This thread is almost 3 years old, so I'm not sure why Paviya thought it worth resurrecting.

But it's nice to see people turning away from virus-infested Windows machines and installing Ubuntu (or any other Linux, but Ubuntu is one of the most straightforward for new users).
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    This thread is almost 3 years old, so I'm not sure why Paviya thought it worth resurrecting.

But it's nice to see people turning away from virus-infested Windows machines and installing Ubuntu (or any other Linux, but Ubuntu is one of the most straightforward for new users).
    Mea culpa, I didn't look at the thread date.

As for Linux, I have tried it several times and just not got on with it. My major software applications wouldn't run on it anyway - and is too expensive to replace (even if a comparable Linux substitute were available). My elder Bro (yes, there is someone older than me) uses Linux though - but his requirements are less than mine.

As one who came to computers in the early days (hex code, assembler, very basic OS) I should feel more at home with Linux than I do - I must have got lazy over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Mea culpa, I didn't look at the thread date.

As for Linux, I have tried it several times and just not got on with it. My major software applications wouldn't run on it anyway - and is too expensive to replace (even if a comparable Linux substitute were available). My elder Bro (yes, there is someone older than me) uses Linux though - but his requirements are less than mine.

As one who came to computers in the early days (hex code, assembler, very basic OS) I should feel more at home with Linux than I do - I must have got lazy over the years.
    Hi Astral, no 'mea culpa' needed, always good to talk, especially about this topic!

Yes, I'm from the same era, my first programming was done on machines that had radio valves! I agree, Linux is not for everyone, but it amazes me that so many people still haven't heard of it, or pass by without trying it. If Windows does the job, no reason to change for the sake of it, but so many people get a new machine, go from XP to Vista or 7 (and 8 looks like being a disastrous upheavel) and could actually have an easier life if they switched to Ubuntu Linux. Many people don't need to run the kind of applications you do -- they're happy with web browsing, mail, photos, and that's pretty much it.

I do voluntary work teaching seniors, and they take to it like ducks to water. In the same way that most people wouldn't use Windows if they didn't have someone around to sort out the glitches, to switch to Ubuntu it's important to find someone local for support. Usually the local user group can suggest a helper. www.lug.org.uk is a good place to find such groups.

But with millions of users around the world, and big companies switching, it's going to be easier and easier to find a neighbour who's already gone down this route.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thread Information