My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: internet connection problem

Gee, how frustrating. But at least you know it ain't your computers that are broken! Maybe third time is the charm!!

I feel sorry for our guy to be honest... it looks like there is a batch of faulty netgear routers at the moment.... (and he had just got six of them )

All I can say is I am glad I got it through him and paid him to set it up (like I said in my OP I know nothing about the workings of a computer and how to set things up) and didn't buy it from a (big) retail shop mentioning no names, to do it myself... can you imagine the hassle that would have been...

and at least he has left me his spare (working) one so we can still come on line... without it it would have made running the business very hard this week

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    Maybe third time is the charm!!
    I'll let you know on tuesday when he (hopefully) brings a new one (would have been Monday, but Pam has a hospital appointment for most of the day)

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Were these all brand new routers fresh out of the box? Just asking because second-hand routers, although generally bullet-proof, could be faulty from electrical storm activity or electrical spikes from blown computers (who knows where they've been!)

I have used a few 834G Netgear routers 2nd-hand and they've all been fine. BT Voyager routers are generally very good too, I'm sure the new BT HomeHub ones will be just as reliable.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

I saw him open the box(es) in front of my eyes Hate so I know they were new....

it's the second hand one that he left as a back up that works fine

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    I feel sorry for our guy to be honest... it looks like there is a batch of faulty netgear routers at the moment.... (and he had just got six of them )

All I can say is I am glad I got it through him and paid him to set it up (like I said in my OP I know nothing about the workings of a computer and how to set things up) and didn't buy it from a (big) retail shop mentioning no names, to do it myself... can you imagine the hassle that would have been...

and at least he has left me his spare (working) one so we can still come on line... without it it would have made running the business very hard this week
    I agree. It always pays to let the experts do it. And if you had bought it and set it up yourself and it blew out, your case is not as strong as it is when the professional did it.

With all the time he has had to waste on this, I am sure he will make sure to followup and find out what was wrong with that batch of routers.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by somersethedge View Post
    I saw him open the box(es) in front of my eyes Hate so I know they were new....

it's the second hand one that he left as a back up that works fine
    These things do happen sometimes, with bulk manufacturing comes the possibility of bulk manufacturing errors. Probably a faulty batch of components, it happens sometimes and is usually due to poor quality control at the component factory.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Hi, sorry unable to help you on that one, but try youtube when investigating computer problems as there are some very helpful (FREE) tutorials ;-) good luck!

I switched from Netgear to Linksys. No problems in a couple years so far.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CurioCabinet View Post
    I switched from Netgear to Linksys. No problems in a couple years so far.
    Welcome to the eBid forums. If you look at the mauve band above each post there is a date and time posted, and you can see if the message you're responding to is recent or from some time ago. Just to save you wasting time; if you're like most of us you won't have any to spare!

Thread Information