Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: internet connection problem

Default internet connection problem

First off… what I know of the workings of a computer can be written on the back of a very small stamp.

I have a problem that is flummoxing the guy who fixes our computer

(Sods law) we lost all internet connections on Saturday on both my and Pam’s computer and having spent the weekend trying to sort the problem myself we called my guy in….

He/we thought it might be the router… two computers connected via wires NOT wireless, so he replaced it and all worked fine… turned off the computers and went shopping, came home, turned on the computers and no internet again. The guy comes backs again and changes the router again, thinking that it might be faulty, and all works well… off he goes. An hour later down it goes again. Back he comes again…

This time he can get Pam’s computer to connect to the net but not mine, so he “fiddles” a bit and gets mine to connect but loses Pam’s connection… “Fiddles” a bit more and gets them both working… and off he goes… late last night it all goes down again. Started the computers this morning and still nothing (on either of them). Pam calls the guy up and tells him, then turns off the computers… I turned on the computers when I got up and it seems (for now) that they are both working fine.

So far our guy has replaced all the wires, the power lead and tried 3 different makes of routers, all of which is giving us either intermittent connections or only one of the computers connecting to the net.

If it was the router that was faulty then neither connection would work… if it was the wire then only one computer would connect, but like I say we can have one, both or none of the computers connecting at any one time. Our guy says all the router settings are set up correctly (I am sure they are, as it is his job to know these things) but still it is playing up so he is (slightly) stumped…..

Has anyone any ideas as to what the problem is or where my guy can look to try and sort it.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

No idea really, but... try using a different wall socket for the power for the router in case tiny fluctuations (loose wire?) are upsetting it. Move the router away from any other kit that could be upsetting it. Um... that's not very inspired, sorry.

the thing is all the light are on on the router... and our guy has told us that the new router that he then took away is working fine so it wasn't the router that was faulty....

I am wondering if the router is fine it has to be either a wire (which has been replaced already) or the card with the cable socket in the back of the compuer thats playing up (but then why does it affect both computers at different times) or even the conection box/splitter from the telephone socket that faulty...

although both computers sit next to the router I am also wondering if we might have to make the desktop computers wireless and see if that will cure the problem.....

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry, did you read my post? Your reply doesn't seem to address either suggestion and appears to be disagreeing with something I didn't say. I know disagreeing is our natural state, but you at least usually take the trouble to disagree with what I've really said.

If both computers are not going down at the same time that would seem to indicate that it isn't the router or wiring nor the phone side of things. If the router or phone then both would be down at the same time. Is there some conflict with the PC IP addresses, is your router a fixed IP address or is it allocated dynamically by the ISP, just some random thoughts.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

well so far today apart from the glitch first thing it has been fine... I've even rebooted the computer a couple of times... as for the IP's... pass

Connection problem liinked to virus or something you picked up? The virus contamination I got on feebay shut me down every 15 minutes (despite anti virus, firewall,etc). We had to clean up the system, establishing good connections again, and it worked fine.
    Last edited by deltadelta48; 10th November 2009 at 04:39 PM.

The only thing I (Wizbooks' other half) can think off is an IP address issue caused by a malware such as Tinyproxy.

This little tike installs to c:\program files\tinyproxy and creates a registry run under HKeyLocalMachine - if I remember right. It routes internet requests via many weird and wonderful "proxy" servers including 127.0.0.0, the local loopback. When routed via loopback, DNS cannot be resolved so internet connection is effectively shut down.

Tinyproxy has the capacity to mess constantly so you internet can be up and down like a yoyo and will affect separate machines independently.

Look for tinyproxy or a variant/similar malware. Windows Defender should pick it up but updates are not as frequent as they should be and a varient may not yet be in the definitions. Other anti malwares are often quicker. Whilst online, get a copy of Malwarebytes anti malware from malwarebytes.org - don't get it elsewhere as there are fakes out there. Install it - allow it to update during install to ensure very latest def files, run full scan - takes around an hour for average machine. When finished, view results, allow malwarebytes to fix what it finds.

Of course, it may simply be that Windows has gone mad on two neighbouring machines......
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

well (we think) we have finally go to the bottom of the problem...

my router was fried
    the new one put on was faulty (sort off)... the guy took it home and was working 4 computer through it fine.... then took the four off and placed another computer onto it and the router failed to pick up the new compter... so it only picks up some computers but not all.

he has now replaced the router he had left us and hopefully it should work... that said he has left us the spare router incase it does fail

well that didn't last long... the new router that the guy fitted at 2:30 this afternoon has just crashed again.... so we are hooked up to the spare one he left with us and we are back up again......

Has anyone heard of a faulty batch of netgear routers as this is the second one of his (that we know of) that has gone down in a short time

Thread Information