Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Something's' moved into the compost bin

Quote Originally Posted by act View Post
    It could also be a grass snake as they tend to inhabit compost bins to keep warm in winter whist they hibernate

Yikes! But do snakes eat potatoes? If I saw a snake in my bin I would sell the house and move to a high rise building.

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

Grass snakes are OK - they are completely harmless. Adders are our most dangerous snake in the UK, and even their bite is only liable to make you ill rather than prove to be fatal - (In most cases anyway.)

I sometimes forget how lucky we are in the UK when it comes to dangerous animals. The most dangerous animals in this country usually come with a person tied to the end of them wearing a burberry cap.

ps - I'm sure it's not one of those moved into your compost.

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Whatever it is, the bin's being emptied this week - with our Jack Russell in attendance!

Parkgate Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View MHTTrading's Feedback (+3556)
    All-About MHTTrading
    View MHTTrading's Listings
    Forum Posts

No a grass snake wouldn't chuck out two buckets of compost although it would disturb quite a bit as they wriggle around trying to make room to settle down, usually in the deepest part of the compost where its warmest.

Even if it is a grass snake there's little to worry about as apart from giving a nasty bite they are quite harmless.

Not like the guy who rang up when I was an RSPCA controller to tell me he had found a snake at the side of the road, I asked him to describe it and was told it was red and black (so obviously not native to UK) I then asked him the location of the snake. and this is when I really started to wonder about his sanity.

He said " Well I found it at the side of the road, it was very lethargic so I picked it up and put it around my neck to warm it up, after a while it woke up and bit me on the neck before quickly slithering off"... "what shall I do now ?" My response was you'd better get someone to take you to A&E... and fast.

Now it may have been perfectly harmless as I know little about exotic snakes, but who in their right mind would think putting an unidentified but obviously an exotic snake around their neck a good idea.. DOH!!
    Last edited by act; 4th November 2009 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    Whatever it is, the bin's being emptied this week - with our Jack Russell in attendance!
    Wear your wellies!! And let us know what you find (I think)
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
    Grass snakes are OK - they are completely harmless. Adders are our most dangerous snake in the UK, and even their bite is only liable to make you ill rather than prove to be fatal - (In most cases anyway.)

I sometimes forget how lucky we are in the UK when it comes to dangerous animals. The most dangerous animals in this country usually come with a person tied to the end of them wearing a burberry cap.

ps - I'm sure it's not one of those moved into your compost.
    Yes we have a bit of everything here in Wisconsin and in the big city. too. Skunks, possums, raccoons, coyotes, wolves and cougers occasionally, deer, mink, weasles, badger, fox, moose in northern Wisconsin. Not many snakes in city, but we do have rattlers in southwest Wisconsin by the Mississippi. The coyotes have moved into the city and occasionally confront dog walkers. I have seen them walking down the street like little mangy princes; they are quite tough looking animals. Live in any wood or in rough areas near roads etc.

Just last year a big black cougar was sighted near here, and ended up near Chicago and was killed when it wandered into town. So we have it all.

Gosh, can hardly wait to see what is in her bin. A cougar????? I am sure your little terrier would handle anything in a second or two.

Parkgate Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View MHTTrading's Feedback (+3556)
    All-About MHTTrading
    View MHTTrading's Listings
    Forum Posts

I just hope its not that small alligator that has been spotted in your area... Only Kidding

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

The saga of what was in/under the compost bin has been resolved - a rat.

After we'd emptied the bin and re-set it on concrete slabs, the 'visitor' came back and moved in under the slabs, and also managed to still get into the bin through a minute overhang.

Badge (our Jack Russell) flushed it yesterday lunchtime after much
    digging............ .......... I saw it's face
    It got away across next door's garden (Eric saw it) and into the next field.

So the bin is now surrounded by rocks and bricks and big stones to try and stop the blighter digging in again.

View pique's Feedback (+134)
    All-About pique
    View pique's Listings
    Forum Posts

Got it right for a change then!!
    Pique Antiques and Collectables for all kinds of interesting items - ceramics, books, programmes, first day covers, pictures etc etc
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Pique-Anti...d Collectables

Tammy's Emporium for all kinds of useful home, garden and leisure products.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Tammys-Emporium

Pique Beauty for skincare, fragrances, bodycare, tanning & Beauty at unbeatable prices
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Pique-Beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    The saga of what was in/under the compost bin has been resolved - a rat.

After we'd emptied the bin and re-set it on concrete slabs, the 'visitor' came back and moved in under the slabs, and also managed to still get into the bin through a minute overhang.

Badge (our Jack Russell) flushed it yesterday lunchtime after much
    digging............ .......... I saw it's face
    It got away across next door's garden (Eric saw it) and into the next field.

So the bin is now surrounded by rocks and bricks and big stones to try and stop the blighter digging in again.
    Badge gets a biscuit!!!! Yaayyy. Leave any tough job to a terrier and that job gets done.

The poor rat now has to rough it for the winter. That bin must have looked like one endless smogasborg!

Thread Information