Thread: eBid have removed my auctions!

Forum Newbie
    Isle Of Bute, Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
    View well-tech.ltd's Feedback (+1105)
    All-About well-tech.ltd
    View well-tech.ltd's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    It has always baffled my why anyone should buy open source, shareware or freeware software off anyone when it is available for free download of the internet.

Astral, ever bought a coffee to take away ? Why did you bother, you could have made it in the house.

Ever bought a bowl of soup from a cafe ? Why did you bother, you could have done it at home a lot cheaper.

Ever put petrol in your car ? Why did you bother, there is loads of oil in the north sea that you could go and get yourself for free :-)

People buy all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. A lot of the software I distribute is retailed through petrol stations, service stations, small shops etc. If someone buys, for instance, a CD of 65 freeware/open source platform games, it's because they like platform games and would rather pay £4 than search/find/download/install 65 games from the net.

If you want to unlock a particular feature of your ipod, and you see a cd that does just that on a shelf for £2.99, would you rather go home and find it, download it, try it to see if it works instead ? Or would you say 'Thats what I was looking for and it's sitting there in a box for £2.99'.

Why buy a book when you can get them free from the library ?

The list of reasons is pretty much endless :-)

Except that it's not allowed on EBid while large scale theft of Microsoft intellectual property is accepted and welcomed.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by well-tech.ltd View Post
    Astral, ever bought a coffee...
    ...and other ridiculous scenarios that do not warrant addressing.

Sorry, but I have always seen those who resell software that the authors have given away for free, unless they add value (e.g. support), as making a fast buck out of the less savvy.

If you want to unlock a particular feature of your ipod, and you see a cd that does just that on a shelf for £2.99, would you rather go home and find it, download it, try it to see if it works instead ? Or would you say 'Thats what I was looking for and it's sitting there in a box for £2.99'.
    Don't have an iPod - but if I did I would go home and do the download. If it didn't work I would be no worse off. If I had bought the disk I would be 2.99 out of pocket. Even if the disk worked I would still be down 2.99 as compared to the free download.

[QUOTE=well-tech.ltd;1124806]
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post

Delta, you obviously couldn't follow the point of my input to this thread (probably because EBid deleted a lot of it).

Not making sales on this website compared to 'the other auction site' was nothing to do with not working hard enough. It was to do with EBid deciding that they wouldn't allow me to sell here as they had ridiculous concerns about the legality of my products, despite them being sold on numerous websites and in shops and service stations all over the country and they ignored the fact that I've been doing it since 1995. They decided that there was 'potential for copyright infringement' and booted me off. Simple as that.

It also took months of attempts to contact them and probably 25 deleted forum posts before they eventually told me that I couldn't sell my products here.

If you want to see copyright infringement, have a look at the software/operating systems section and look at the massive number of OEM copies of windows imported from China (via DHGATE). EBid allow that, but don't allow me to sell software that is 100% legal.

Read this posting quickly. It's gonna get deleted LOL.
    My goodness, an old one came back.

As always, we were discussing the popular subject of increasing sales on ebid for the average seller. The need to work hard because alternative sites need different marketing skills was the point, and there is no disputing that point.

We were NOT discussing banned items. ebid has policies against them, what you were selling is banned, you asked for clarification, and ebid said no. Simple. Why 25 threads complaining about it? These threads appear on google and ebid has the right to pull any nasty comments.

Astral, ever bought a coffee to take away ? Why did you bother, you could have made it in the house.

Ever bought a bowl of soup from a cafe ? Why did you bother, you could have done it at home a lot cheaper.

Ever put petrol in your car ? Why did you bother, there is loads of oil in the north sea that you could go and get yourself for free :-)

People buy all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. A lot of the software I distribute is retailed through petrol stations, service stations, small shops etc. If someone buys, for instance, a CD of 65 freeware/open source platform games, it's because they like platform games and would rather pay £4 than search/find/download/install 65 games from the net.

Why buy a book when you can get them free from the library ?

The list of reasons is pretty much endless :-)

Except that it's not allowed on EBid while large scale theft of Microsoft intellectual property is accepted and welcomed.

But buying a product under protection of store/company quarantees that the product, be it coffee, CD, soup, or a book, is the genuine product. Someone can't open a tent and sell coffee they call Starbucks Coffee, because they bought the empty cups at a rummage/jumble sale. No guarantee of quality.

Same idea. Some items are allowed when they are manufacturered under a company's guidance/permission (Like MSN), and others that are handouts, freebies, and might be copies, are not.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    It has always baffled my why anyone should buy open source, shareware or freeware software off anyone when it is available for free download of the internet.
    I can think of two reasons - one, they don't have the facility to download 4GB of data so acquiring it on DVD is the easiest way for them to get it; two, a well put together collection on one DVD or CD can save someone a lot of time and effort, especially as some OpenSource software can be tricky to compile at home for the unsavvy, and pre-compiled binaries are not always available.

Like linux distributions - why do people put together distributions? All the stuff is there on the internet, it just would take someone days and days sourcing each part, compiling it, altering code and scripts to make it all work, etc. A linux distribution makes this much easier and avoids repeating what someone else has already done.

I think if the price is just enough to cover the cost of the disc, postage, with a small contribution for the time taken to source the latest version and burn it to disc then it's going to be worth while for somebody out there to pay for that service, because that's all it is really.
    Last edited by heatemyfather; 4th January 2010 at 10:15 PM.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: eBid have removed my auctions!

What do you hope to accomplish by hanging out here and whining?
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by terry5732 View Post
    What do you hope to accomplish by hanging out here and whining?
    Looks like the whiner has been removed

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Last time looked I couldn't download any of these items for free...lol

Folks, you might want to take note of the date of the first post.

I'm pretty sure that the OP doesn't care any more.

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Folks, you might want to take note of the date of the first post.

I'm pretty sure that the OP doesn't care any more.
    Someone reopened this old thread yesterday whining about eBid and spamming the forum. He's since been removed and all his posts are gone and that's who Terry and I are talking about

Thread Information