eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please show number of watchers on my auctions.

Default Please show number of watchers on my auctions.

Please tell me how I can tell if anyone is watching my "auction" or "wanted" posting (in addition to how many have merely visited the listing). It is useful information which will help me determine if my item is appealing enough to generate interest to the point where a prospect will bookmark it. If nobody is interested enough to watch it the way it is posted, I can then change the way it is presented. If this watching data option is not available, I would like to have it reinstated. Thank you!

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

And how will you tell who are potential buyers, and who are other sellers seeing how you get on? I've never thought watching information was much use, really. I watch auctions for lots of reasons, very few of which have anything to do with buying.

Casual visitors are brought into a listing, but it is the text which excites enough interest to prompt the visitor to watch the item. It is not important Who the watcher is. It shows the lister that he is doing things in a better way if he has watchers, and so he improves his chance of a success. I have used this technique many times over the years in my eBay sales.

I see what you're getting at and yes, provided that you weren't relying on the watchers for actual sales then the watch-list would be a useful sales tool. Personally, I'm happy without it.

An example of how I would use this option can be pointed up by the following example; I have several "wanted" postings listed on eBid, one of which is for round wooden nickels. The price I can pay for each item is small, and would not be cost effective for a prospective seller to send only a few pieces. However, the seller may know where these items are found, such as physical auctions, yard sales, flea markets, etc. and feels he can accumulate enough of them over the next few months to make it worth his while to send me a shipment. So he puts my wanted listing on watch. Now, if I see that someone is interested, I will be more apt to leave that listing posted much longer, thus giving the seller a chance to gather and ship. Thanks!

Forum Newbie
    All-About Ethingamajigs
    View Ethingamajigs's Listings
    Forum Posts

I also like to know if I have watchers for a listing and for the same reasons. I also do not see what difference it would make to have that feature.

It doesn't cause any harm to people who don't like it and it helps people who use it.
    Last edited by Ethingamajigs; 27th January 2009 at 01:41 AM.

Me too.

Having watchers means the listing is getting attention.
    Having no sales from the watcher could mean the auction just isn't interesting or enticing enough to push the potential buyer over the edge, so this might encourage the seller to go over his/her listing and review and alter it before relisting.

I like the idea and think it could be useful,

For those that don't like the idea, I can't see its use harming their listings in any way
    http://im1.ebidst.com/upload_banner/booksforsale_61768.jpg

Booksforsale For Vintage Homewares and New & Secondhand Books

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

I agree with booksforsale, I would really like to know if I have watchers... but the biggest thing for me at the moment is to be able to have confidence in the view counters...! At least they would give me some indication as to how my listings were doing.

But yes, back on topic, I would love to have a watchers column, I know not all of them go on to buy but it does indicate interest.

Vintage postcards bought and sold
    Established internet postcard trader since 2004
    and we now have an Ebid book store (mainly non fiction)

Our Stores: http://oldpostcards.ebid.net/
    http://books4sale.ebid.net/

All About Me: http://uk.ebid.net/users/OldPostcards

With my items, I have a good indication by the number of visitors having viewed. If any of my items gor through all the 10 relists without a purchase, then I conclude that there may be something not quite appealing enough!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkdeco View Post
    With my items, I have a good indication by the number of visitors having viewed. If any of my items gor through all the 10 relists without a purchase, then I conclude that there may be something not quite appealing enough!
    I would agree with you if the view counters worked properly, but they don't. I've had auctions with 10 views one day, the next day 0 views, even had one auction with 956 views within 60 seconds of listing item. I've read several threads on the view counters and they are not reliable. So I wouldn't recommend using them as a basis as to how 'appealing' your items are. IMHO of course.

Thread Information