Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Over half a million auctions at last!!!!

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Over half a million auctions at last!!!!

Morning - kettle's on and I'm afraid we've finished up the bread for toast. But there is Muesli or Cornflakes - porridge even if you so desire.

Sorry Sarge, but another one escaped under the wire last night while I was busy with my website editing. But I will be listing a few more items in the YDC now I've scanned them.

Back to my editing and then planning new webpages

But first another mug of tea.

Name:  Powers_for_Good.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  9.5 KB

View maplegin's Feedback (+1177)
    All-About maplegin
    View maplegin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Good morning a rather dull & cold day again, though have to keep telling my self never mind it is january so what weather do we expect, gather from yesterdays paer we can expect to have snow at Easter as all the seans are changing, so just as the car boots start, that will happen.

Did manage to list another 10 yesterday & hope to do a few more & somer listed some as well.

Sgt glad you have had the Sky sorted then you will now be able to catch up.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't understand about the green padlocks. .....what they are, why they are, etc. Does it affect your items showing on Google? Do I have them? Do I want them? (Sounds like they are cooties of the internet world.) Do I need to get rid of them? I must have missed some announcement or thread.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Hello troops. Woke up not feeling very well today. I have a splitting headache, I just hope I'm not coming down with something.

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    I don't understand about the green padlocks. .....what they are, why they are, etc. Does it affect your items showing on Google? Do I have them? Do I want them? (Sounds like they are cooties of the internet world.) Do I need to get rid of them? I must have missed some announcement or thread.

You've got them in your url's already Private Majesty so you don't need to worry. In my opinion it's just a big money making racket to make people buy security certificates for their websites when they don't need too !

I'm really cross as my website now looks like it's insecure as it has an 'i' for information in the url with a warning that people shouldn't enter sensitive information which will put off buyers. It's a load of rubbish as I don't hold anybody's information as all the payments go through Paypal.

There have been lots of TV adverts over here warning people not to use sites without the padlock.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbThUL0aLyk

My eBid listings also had the 'i' because I hosted my photos from the site hence why I'm having to edit everything. Once I have done that and downsized my website I can then hunt around for a cheaper certificate.

Private Mcc2 go get that potato peeler !

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    ebay has the "i" before the url as well sarge
    Some people's listings over there might Private Buttons but the main site pages have the padlock.

Cornishmaid wrote: "In my opinion it's just a big money making racket to make people buy security certificates for their websites when they don't need too !

I'm really cross as my website now looks like it's insecure as it has an 'i' for information in the url with a warning that people shouldn't enter sensitive information which will put off buyers. It's a load of rubbish as I don't hold anybody's information as all the payments go through Paypal."

Well said. I also think that people could think that a website with a padlock is completely secure and will not host any nasty bits of software waiting to be downloaded if you click on dodgy link. As far as I understand the padlock only secures the transfer of information that a viewer has entered on the site. I have the same problem with my websites. tThe only information I reqest is an e-mail address if someone contacts me, all financial details and addresses are entered on the Paypal site. Another point is that Google are penalising sites that don't have the padlock when it comes to searches making it more useless than it already is.

One point that I didn't realise is that size of a website alters the cost of a certificate. I use PlanetHippo for hosting and they offer a certificate for £19.99 + vat per year, and there isn't any mention of website size. It covers one domain, not sure if this includes subdomains or webmail associated with the domain. Details can be found here: https://clients.planethippo.co.uk/aff.php?aff=53

Thanks for the info' Private Liquid and welcome to the eBid army barracks ! I'll meet you in the mess for you compulsory induction drink later ... you can get my double gin and tonic lined up !

Unfortunately my good hosting company 5squidhost got taken over by a bigger one. I was able to retain my original package with the take over, so had no size limit, that was why I hosted all my photos from there. Now that I am forced to get a certificate I will lose that 'unlimited' size limit and the new company charges a lot for their different size packages, with certificate included, so I'm going to have to hunt around for better deals.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    Thanks for the info' Private Liquid and welcome to the eBid army barracks ! I'll meet you in the mess for you compulsory induction drink later ... you can get my double gin and tonic lined up !

Unfortunately my good hosting company 5squidhost got taken over by a bigger one. I was able to retain my original package with the take over, so had no size limit, that was why I hosted all my photos from there. Now that I am forced to get a certificate I will lose that 'unlimited' size limit and the new company charges a lot for their different size packages, with certificate included, so I'm going to have to hunt around for better deals.
    Thank you for the welcome, your G & T awaits you in the mess.

As I understand things, if you have cPanel hosting you should be able to buy a certificate from anywhere and install it via your control panel. Your no size limit shouldn't be affected. Though of course your hosting company may not allow this. Would point out that installing a certificate doesn't look that easy, you may need help fro your son.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidliterature View Post
    Thank you for the welcome, your G & T awaits you in the mess.

As I understand things, if you have cPanel hosting you should be able to buy a certificate from anywhere and install it via your control panel. Your no size limit shouldn't be affected. Though of course your hosting company may not allow this. Would point out that installing a certificate doesn't look that easy, you may need help fro your son.

Thanks, yes I had already looked into doing that, believe me, to save me from moving all my photos on over 2,000 listings !!! My company won't allow it. I emailed them to ask, they just sell their own packages with the certificates attached which is a real pain.

Oh well, at least the editing is nearly finished ... well until Royal Mail hoiks up their prices !

Trots off to the mess to find that much needed gin and tonic or what ever else I can get my hands on !

Thread Information