Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
  • eBid November 2016 Newsletter

News from Gazza

3,018,156 Live Listings
    17,486 Categories
    $1,114,154,044 Gross Listing Value

Welcome to the eBid November Newsletter.

November comes to a close, a month of reflection for us and thoughts for the families and loved ones of two long term eBidders who are sadly no longer with us.

Work has been continuing with our category reconstruction with 17,500 categories being in use now. You many find that you are unable to repost a listing if we have recently added a new subcategory below the category that your item was originally listed in. If you see a message to this effect please select one of the new subcats from the dropdown menu that best suits your item.

We are glad to welcome two new translators to our team. Adriana will be working on our Portuguese and Brazilian translations and Anna on our Norwegian translations. They have both got a hang of things very quickly and we should be seeing improved eBid sites in these languages at our next update.

A couple of our API users have had a couple of problems with the data being rejected due to it not being the correct character encoding. Please ensure all your data is posted to us using UTF8. Any other encoding could potentially cause non-standard English characters to display incorrectly. November has also seen a record amount of usage of the API. Thank you to all of those of you who are making use of it. As more and more techie eBidders get to grips with it we are seeing many more uses for it than we had first envisioned. If you are interested visit http://ebid.3scale.net for our XML and JSON documentation and sign up area.

Some eBidders who have a registered email address @btinternet.com may have run into a few problems this month. BT decided for a still unknown reason to start marking one or two of our emails as spam. When this happens we request the affected user to enter a new email address when logging in as it is normally a very temporary problem. A few of you will have been asked for this more than once this month which we understand was a little frustrating. Our apologies for that and the problem should now be fine.

Christmas is coming and peak present buying season is nearly with us again. Don't forget to list your items with barcodes and a BuyNow price whenever you can to ensure upload to Google Shopping for greater coverage. I'm always partial to a MaO (Make an Offer) when I buy things so if you feel you could possibly listen to offers on your items then feel free to use the offer system when selling, it works great and can get you some custom that could have walked away if you hadn't. Just tick the little checkbox below the BuyNow price box on the listing form. You can even add automated replies to offers that are just too low to save you the bother.

eBid Pulse News from Debbie

Early Xmas Bargains

As Black Friday passes there are still some bargains to be had from our ever resourceful eBid sellers. Take a look at some of our picks.

Sony PlayStation 4 Ps4 Pro 1TB Console
    Joseph Joseph Nest 8 Mixing Bowls - Compact Preparation Set
    2 Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Laptop, 7th Gen Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB, 17.3" £719@JL

2004 GREASE Barbie #2 Sandy Yellow Dress Olivia Newton-John Collector Doll
    1/8 Size Upright Bass with Bag,Bow,Stand,Metro Tuner
    Lucky Strike Black Leather Motorcycle Jacket - All sizes!
    List Your Items at a Discount

Don't forget eBid's maximum Final Value Fee is 3%. Selling on other marketplaces will cost you more on most occasions with 10-15% being the norm. For this reason don't forget to list your items at a slight discount on eBid, you'll help us out by making our marketplace attractive to buyers and you can still take home more money after fees than you would elsewhere.

A time of sad losses to the eBid Community

The eBid family are a close-knit group and this past month has been a sad one, with the loss of two well-loved eBid members/friends.

On the 12th October, we lost Margaret (Minx41) to Lung Cancer. The following words are a tribute to Margaret from one of her (many) eBid Forum friends, cornishmaid1961.

"October 12th was a sad day for the eBid community. We lost Margaret (Minx41) to Lung Cancer. She was such a lovely lady and although I never met her in person I regarded her as a real friend. She had such a wicked sense of humour and I shall remember her so fondly as naughty 'Private Minx' of the eBid army, always getting into trouble in the eBid barracks, and she certainly gave us all a good laugh. She was also a staunch supporter of the monthly eBid Your Donation Counts charity event and over the years she has helped raise thousands of pounds (dollars) for worthwhile causes. She had a heart of gold and will be missed."

As a tribute to Margaret, the featured charity for the most recent YDC charity event was The British Lung Foundation.

In our thoughts also this month has been Damian Steele (damian_steele) who sadly passed away on the 17th November. Damian will be missed by many, our condolences to his partner, Emma and his family and friends. He was a very regular participant on the eBid forums and many of the changes to our website over the years have been down to his help and persistence. He will be missed by all of us here at eBid.

"I remember Damian as one of the good guys .... he spoke his mind and I always respected him for that. He also made me laugh out loud - more times than I can count" eBid Member moonwitch

Competition Time

Last month's question :

To the nearest 1000, how many categories are there now on eBid?

a) 5000
    b) 10000
    c) 16000

The correct answer was (c) 16000. Congratulations go to Cornwalls150744 from Camborne, UK, for winning last months competition, your eBid Goodie Bag and iPod should be with you now.

Now for this month's question :

What's the abbreviation for eBid's bartering system that allows sellers to listen to offers for their items?

a) TwT
    b) MaO
    c) MaD

To enter send us :
    Answer to the competition question
    Your eBid username
    Name and address for sending out any prizes
    Incomplete entries will be automatically deleted. Closing date 10th December 2016. Email answers to competitions@ebid.net
    Comments 1 Comment
      purplestevie -
      Re new cats - Quite a few of my items seem to have vanished!! I havent checked knitting/sewing patterns, buttons, jewellery or postcards etc yet!!
Follow Us
New To eBid?
Register for Free