eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
  • Interview with a Seller - Tropical_Trish

Many of the staff at eBid (including myself) have been with the Company for a long time, and**have built many good relationships with members. We do consider the Forums to be a meeting place for members and future members to exchange healthy opinions (and often banter) and we at Support will try to avoid getting into direct debates and will try not to get involved in 'lively' discussions unless absolutely necessary. We consider the Forums 'your club'.

We are particularly proud of the sense of ‘camaraderie’ in the Forums, and the fact that ‘seasoned’ Members are always happy to come to the aid of new Members with helpful tips and advice on how to get the most out of their eBid account.

Many of our long-standing Members have a wealth of ‘hands-on’ *experience, and know their way round the site very well. *It is not unusual to see a new Member asking other Forum Members to ‘cast an eye’ over their* listings, or their store layout, and to see unselfish, helpful advice being offered.

This got us to thinking that it would be interesting to do a series of ‘interviews’ with various Sellers.

So, without further ado, let us introduce our first ‘interviewee’, Tropical_Trish.

Trish is a mum of five grown up children and has ‘hundreds’ of grandchildren, so is kept very busy. When she does have spare time, she loves to be outside enjoying the beautiful countryside in Suffolk, Constable Country.* Trish has two German Shepherd dogs, Kai and Reina, who also keep her busy.

Trish has a passion for gardening, in particular for tropical plants. She also loves music, holidays abroad and Sudoku puzzles. Her “biggest passion” is her family.

Trish and her family have spent the last 20 odd years in Suffolk, although both she and her husband are originally from Stoke-on-Trent. They were at one time involved in the hospitality business and have both managed, and owned, a number of pubs, first in Cornwall (apparently haunted!), and then in Worcester and Madeley.

After selling their business in the UK, they crossed the ‘pond’ with their three youngest children and settled in Florida. This is where Trish's enduring love of candle-making began, inspired by the fantastic candle shops there. The family lived in Florida for three years, before moving back to Suffolk in the UK to continue their children's education there.

eBid : When and why did you open your eBid account?

Tropical_Trish : I joined eBid Tue 16 Sep 2008. My brother told me about eBid, and when I saw that it was only 2% selling fees, 5 free shops, and just a one - off payment of £49.99 for a lifetime of listing - well, I thought 'BARGAIN!'.... so jumped right in with both feet!

eBid : Would you describe yourself as a full-time or part-time Seller?

Tropical_Trish : Part-time, I have a very full family life!

eBid : Can you tell us a little about your listing schedule, for example, how do you choose which listing type best suits your needs, and produces the best results for you?

Tropical_Trish : I don't really have a listing schedule, apart from the fact that I have avoided using RUS type listing.

My 6,000+ listings are all on 10 day relists, because I get good exposure this way especially when my items are featured in the 'Closing' New' 'Popular' eBid ads. (These have generated sales for me, so thanks!)

I try to add more things to list as and when I can, to offer the buyers more choices and also to keep the listing numbers up, especially after sales!

eBid : Do you also use eBid as a Buyer? If so, what are your favourite items to shop for on eBid?

Tropical_Trish : Yes, I buy on eBid, especially if something catches my eye in the closing or new ads. I don't think I have a favourite item, I have bought make-up, jewellery, cards, perfume, gift sets, clothes - all kinds of stuff!

eBid : Do you use the eBid app, if so, how do you think this has improved your account?

Tropical_Trish : No.

eBid : What has been the highlight, to-date, of your time with eBid?

Tropical_Trish : Hmm, now that's a toughie! I cannot think of any one outstanding occasion, although I was over the moon when I won the Jack Stonehouse Espresso and Cappuccino maker in the charity raffle! It also gives you a great lift when you make it to the top sellers line-up after a batch of good sales!

eBid : Do you use 'social media', for example, Pinterest or Facebook, for your business? If so, what advantages have you seen in doing so?

Tropical_Trish : I'm not a regular pinner and seldom use facebook. I have pinned and used facebook occasionally, but I can't say it has been advantageous at all.

eBid : You have clearly taken time and effort to produce a comprehensive, informative 'About Me' page (love your dogs!). Can you tell us a little about how you feel this works to your advantage?

Tropical_Trish : Well, I wanted would be buyers to feel 'comfortable' in trading with me and see me as a friendly, down to earth yet professional and experienced seller. I think it works well to my advantage as I have won the trust of both newbie and repeat buyers. I have lots of patience, and have helped out both new buyers and sellers when they were unsure of how to go about completing a transaction successfully. I have some lovely feedbacks that reflect this, and I think any would-be buyer who is hesitant to make a purchase are reassured that all will be well after reading my 'all about me' page and checking out my feedback.

As for my dogs, well I just love them to bits and I'm so proud of them also they make for a far prettier picture than a mugshot of me ...lol!

eBid : You are an active participant on the eBid Forums. Can you tell us a little about what you feel a Member can gain from the Forums? We would also love to her about your involvement in YDC (Your Donation Counts).

Tropical_Trish : I have learned so much from visiting the forums. When I first arrived on eBid, I stumbled across the help section and saw that there were so many kind hearted people that would help you out with your questions, no matter how big or small.

You are never made to feel silly for asking what could be deemed as a daft question! Even now I still pick up an odd tip or two through reading the advice so freely offered. Also, for lots of people, the forum is a place to chat, share a favourite piece of music or photo, tell a joke, state their woes, to celebrate sales, and importantly to feel a sense of belonging. Lonely members who maybe have no-one to chat with can and do treat the forum as home-base, and feel a part of the eBid family where they can safely chat about the days events.

As for YDC - oh, this is just sooo brilliant!

Apart from raising money for needy causes and charities, it's great fun. I have cried with laughter at the comments and funny pictures when YDC'ers are doing battle to keep their green ticks! Once you have joined in, it's very addictive, and I think we all look forward very much to the 24th of each month when we can start the bidding wars, determined to win that certain something! (No matter how daft it is, or how useful it may be, or whether we really need it!) Choklit always does well!

eBid : As a successful seller on eBid, what would be your best advice for people just starting out?

Tropical_Trish : Visit the forum - read, ask, learn. Use Astral's help guide as your eBid bible. It's no use listing your items without a picture, on RUS, with a high reserve price or at 99p, as there are very few bidding wars (except for YDC!) Use apt, precise and searchable keywords in your title, give a good clear description. List as varied a stock as you can, after all you can have 5 shops for free. Don't sit back and expect sales to happen, you have to work for your sales. Tell everyone where you are, promote yourself.

If you would be interested in participating in a future 'Interview with a Seller', please contact us via the 'Help' tab located on all pages, and then use the 'Contact Us' tab. Please mark your message 'for the attention of Debbie Lord'.
Follow Us
New To eBid?
Register for Free