View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

[ Well that's my rant ....... What's yours?[/SIZE]
    [/B][/COLOR]
    [/QUOTE]

Mine's about the same. The advertising thing especially. With all the disgruntled ebayers out there looking for a place to sell their wares, NOW is the time to invest in advertising. My opinion is eBid needs a fast massive influx of sellers to jump ship in order for it to become a viable alternative to eBay. Yes there have been tons of sellers coming over but they leave quickly as there are not as many buyers here as there. If a huge ad campaign took place and sellers came and buyers knew about the site well let's just say Gazza and Mark would be 2 very busy and rich men.
    After reading the forums since September of 2010 I don't believe any ad campaign is on the horizon. Instead, eBid will continue the slow growth it has experienced since inception and we will keep viewing forum posts from disgruntled newbies who have decided eBid is not the place for them.
    Again, NOW is the time to pull the rug from under Ebay's feet, advertise and get their sellers and buyers here quickly otherwise I'm afraid once ebay has weeded out sellers they do not want they will be creating their own ad campaign and we all now how that went years ago...very succesful. High fees or low fees majority of sellers are going where there are buyers. This entire "promote yourself" campaign may have paid off for the sellers who enjoy what that has to offer but a massive influx of buyers and sellers will knock most of our socks off.

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

........ a massive influx of buyers and sellers will knock most of our socks off

Well that's the thing Al, it would.
    But I could also understand if Gazza & Mark were equally concerned about having their socks affected in the same way. Embarking on an all out promotion of eBid could be exciting and all that, but if things failed to go to plan (I'm talking about servers and other support hardware), then it could be embarassing.

The difference with eBay (having always been in 'leading' territory) is that it was able to grow with it's infrastructure hand in hand with membership growth.

With eBid however, (having been playing 'catch up'), the growth required to take on eBay would have to be rapid and as you've said 'opportunistic' given the way things currently are.

Even assuming that that's what Gazza & Mark want, I could easily understand apprehension at such instant growth. Getting sellers and buyers to arrive en mass virtually overnight would provide the 'critical mass' needed for creating a self sustaining auction site. But the question is "Could an overight success be managed adequately given the sudden strain on everything."

It would be a bit like having spent years tuning a car's engine to idle well and turning over smoothly at low revs.
    But if it were to become a 'winner' - (by travelling at high speed), well, puting the pedal to the floor may suddenly reveal design problems when it's asked to perform at high speed.

Does this make sense - or am I just raving on?

(I've got to hit the hay - it's late over here in Oz)
    Last edited by emporiumdays; 9th June 2011 at 04:09 PM.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emporiumdays View Post
    ........ a massive influx of buyers and sellers will knock most of our socks off

Well that's the thing Al, it would.
    But I could also understand if Gazza & Mark were equally concerned about having their socks affected in the same way. Embarking on an all out promotion of eBid could be exciting and all that, but if things failed to go to plan (I'm talking about servers and other support hardware), then it could be embarassing.

The difference with eBay (having always been in 'leading' territory) is that it was able to grow with it's infrastructure hand in hand with membership growth.

With eBid however, (having been playing 'catch up'), the growth required to take on eBay would have to be rapid and as you've said 'opportunistic' given the way things currently are.

Even assuming that that's what Gazza & Mark want, I could easily understand apprehension at such instant growth. Getting sellers and buyers to arrive en mass virtually overnight would provide the 'critical mass' needed for creating a self sustaining auction site. But the question is "Could an overight success be managed adequately given the sudden strain on everything."

It would be a bit like having spent years tuning a car's engine to idle well and turning over smoothly at low revs.
    But if it were to become a 'winner' - (by travelling at high speed), well, puting the pedal to the floor may suddenly reveal design problems when it's asked to perform at high speed.

Does this make sense - or am I just raving on?

(I've got to hit the hay - it's late over here in Oz)

Steve, it all makes sense but if they want to grow then grow if they want to stay at their current growth then that's what they want to do. We are just users of the site and must realize it's potential or lack thereof and use the site as we see fit. Nice thing about forums is we can express our opinions openly and honestly.
    The facts still remain under the current growth this will not be a viable alternative to ebay in our lifetimes.
    Several sellers have jumped ship and joined eBid but then again several have abandone their sites or just quit.
    When coming to eBid newbies have a different outlook then what is reality.

I'm not saying eBid needs to run a heavy campaign I am merely suggesting if becoming even close to the size of ebay is what they want now is the time to do it and it would take some heavy duty ad campaigns.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think a better target would be to be a rival of Etsy's

They have lots of traffic and some serious monthly sales figures.

I also agree with Steve, that a massive influx of sellers and buyers could cause major problems.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    I think a better target would be to be a rival of Etsy's

They have lots of traffic and some serious monthly sales figures.

I also agree with Steve, that a massive influx of sellers and buyers could cause major problems.

Totally agree. About.com posted a 2011 survey on the top 5 sites selling collectibles and Etsy was present, coming in at 4th place. I was somewhat surprised not to see eBid. Controlled growth is always best. Setting realistic goal of becoming a rival of top performing Bay alternative sites would be an in reach goal. I consider eBid well on the way of reaching that goal.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ask not what eBid can do for you, but what can you do for eBid.....to help it reach the goal of top Bay alternative and then "the Bay Alternative"

Forum Lurker
    View HellsGrandma's Feedback (+443)
    All-About HellsGrandma
    View HellsGrandma's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think there are a lot people wearing rose tinted glasses on here.. ebid is NEVER ever going to even be in the running as competition to ebay .. swallow that reality pill guys... ebay is the 'puppies privates' when it comes to online acutions sites and that is a proven fact .. ebid it like the £ shop .

Ebid does not advertise iteself, people are told to go out and promote their own items, in effect the people who join and pay are doing the advertising for ebid.. thats called network marketing, spreading the word ..and ..that is where its all starting to fall apart.

To have something showing statistics comparing itself with ebay is fine but they are not factual, bragging about how many listings there are means nothing because on here you have many people who have had lsitings running for years and have not sold a thing.
    NOWHERE are there any stats relating to actual sales to sit side by side with the listings.

Ok so sit rubbing your hands with glee when the ebay refugees come on board and pay their join up fee , welcome them aboard and then tell them to sit and wait.. sales take time on here, plug your own auction on ebids forum and the best way to make sales is to buy from each other !!!God help anyone who complains .. ive seen the comments about how boring the old hands find those people, how they ignore those posts blah blah blah ..
    The reason people are so hacked off with ebid is because they join thinking it IS a rival to ebay and find ebid is like the snoring grandpa, to lethargic, no get up and go ..newbies who are the serious sellers dont get any sales, because not enough people know about ebid and ebid wont promote ITSELF to the outside world thats is the dumbest thing any business can do.

I list all my items on here and on ebay, my ebay sales are brilliant yet many items do not even get a single view on here yet they are getting up to a hundred on ebay and they are SELLING on ebay so i simply delete the listing on here soon as someone places a bid over there are still brilliant on ebay,ebid is a mere holding pen
    I have been on here for 5 months and sold nothing , not a single penny in payments yet in the past 60 days my sales on ebay have been £1222.04 now that speaks for itself.. i am not selling old tat , not selling items for 99p I sell good quality items but ebid doesn not have serious buyers visiting its site.

Now I notice that suggestion ebid should be a rival for a different site etsy.. yes thats a jolly good idea and then those on here can stop deluding themselves that ebid is ever going to be as sucessful as ebay.
    The other thing to note is that IF the owners of the site fear advertising because they may not want to grow the site that fast, the site equipment couldnt handle fast growth or they wouldnt be able to handle the influx of sign ups maybe they should seriously STOP making any comparison to ebay.
    Oh and the special offer lifetime fee ..ha ha it IS like the dfs sale.. when i joined that offer was ONLY for that month hmmm 5 months later its still going on.. that makes me chuckle.Also saying there is NO fees or final value fee should be clarified as saying that applies only if you do not have a picture with your listing and of course as everyone gets told ITEMS WITHOUT A PIC DONT SELL ..

This thread has so made me laugh today with people getting all huffy and kissing @SS but are to blind to see the truth.. talk about being brain washed .. its like the knitting circle.

Right im offski now , wont be back to read any more of this thread, its simply just to silly for words .. just get that reality check folks and pretty damned fast.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View WiccaBasketUK's Feedback (+451)
    All-About WiccaBasketUK
    View WiccaBasketUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

people keep saying in posts "not selling items for 99p". What's wrong with selling items at 99p? Most of my handmade cards and soaps are priced at 99p. Although I could charge more I dont because i'm just a hobby seller and dont really need to make money, just cover my costs. So my buyers get their items at almost cost price and i get the joy of making and selling. Are items at 99p looked upon disparagingly ?

Penni
    Not a member yet? Sign up now for free:
    http://uk.ebid.net/perl/normal.cgi?r...=register-main

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Simply goes back to the point that each seller has their own goals, and no seller has the right to set goals for other. Take care of your own business and do whatever works best for you. While you are doing that, probs best not to insult others because their aspirations differ.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiccaBasketUK View Post
    people keep saying in posts "not selling items for 99p". What's wrong with selling items at 99p? Most of my handmade cards and soaps are priced at 99p. Although I could charge more I dont because i'm just a hobby seller and dont really need to make money, just cover my costs. So my buyers get their items at almost cost price and i get the joy of making and selling. Are items at 99p looked upon disparagingly ?

Penni
    I'm currently active on an auction for an estate that had a starting bid of $0.99 Last time I looked bids were well over $12,000 with a few days running time. Start bid means nothing, except if started on eBid (because of the 1 bid phenomena). This is changing slowly.

Thread Information