Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gazza, US shipping calculator, please help

Quote Originally Posted by WindsorBear View Post
    Length + Girthwise, the package falls under the "Regular Package" category, but here's the kicker... the USPS website says to use "Large Package" if the package is more than a cubic foot... a cubic foot being 12"x12"x12"=1728". Since the dimensions are 22L x 18W x 6H, that comes to 22"x18"x6"=2376", which is larger than a cubic foot. Using that calculation, the package must be deemed as a "Large Package."

On something like this, I would think it best to stay away from calculated shipping and come up with a flat shipping fee. It's just too difficult to get different automated calculated shipping systems to agree if a package like this is "regular" or "large".
    I figured there had to be a "kicker". The girth qualifies for a regular package, but then they charge you for a large package because of the cubic size. If your items could fit in a flat rate priority box, you could ship 20 lbs. across the US for $13.95. $36 is outrageous.

UPS has become less costly than the post office. If my calculations are correct, you can ship a 5 lb. package, from LUTZ FL 33549 to SAN JOSE CA 95125, for $11.88 regular ground (5 days), $23.13 3-day, and $33.33 for 2-day. That includes $100 insurance, too.
    (Unless, of course, there is another "kicker").

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher2008 View Post
    I figured there had to be a "kicker". The girth qualifies for a regular package, but then they charge you for a large package because of the cubic size. If your items could fit in a flat rate priority box, you could ship 20 lbs. across the US for $13.95. $36 is outrageous.

UPS has become less costly than the post office. If my calculations are correct, you can ship a 5 lb. package, from LUTZ FL 33549 to SAN JOSE CA 95125, for $11.88 regular ground (5 days), $23.13 3-day, and $33.33 for 2-day. That includes $100 insurance, too.
    (Unless, of course, there is another "kicker").
    Birdwatcher: I checked the UPS site for a 4 lb package, since my package is 4 lb 15 oz. The prices are: $13.33 ground (5 days), $44.54 (3 day), and $66.46 (2 day).

When shipping via UPS you must also submit the dimensions of the package to get the correct rates because they use dimensional rates as well. I've been shipping a long time and have found that USPS rates are much better on large packages up to 10 pounds. If a package is over 10 pounds, sometimes UPS is better.

The USPS started calculating dimensional rates after UPS and FedEx started calculating them because of the high fuel surcharges. I don't like it, but unfortunately it's the cost of doing business.

Most of my buyers from the other side, chose parcel but I wanted to offer priority as an option as well. I was just trying to let the ebid admin and other U.S. sellers know that ebid's shipping calculator does not work properly when you are shipping a package over 12x12x12.

Thankfully I don't have 'large' dimensional packages often so it won't be much of a problem for me. If my package 'looks' large to me I will check the USPS site for identification as to whether the USPS considers it a regular or large package. Then I will use ebid's calculator to calculate the shipping.

According to ebid's calculator, using my mock auctions: if I wanted parcel costs correct, I had to choose regular package [which it is not according to the USPS] but the priority shipping cost was incorrect because it's not counting the dimensional rate in. If I wanted priority costs correct, I had to choose large package to get the priority rates correct, but then if I wanted to offer parcel on the same auction that I used large package the parcel rates was incorrect.

I hope ebid admin will fix the problem.

Thread Information